Fly into Key West for Miami cruise?

dtk07

Mouseketeer
Has anyone here flown into Key West for a Miami cruise? We are booking a back up cruise for Jan 2022 out of Miami.

We have the thought of flying into Key West, spend a day seeing the town, stay overnight, then rent a car one way to Miami to catch our cruise.

Has anyone here done this? Tips, thoughts, or other similar ideas?

Has anyone here flown into Key West for a Miami cruise? We are booking a back up cruise for Jan 2022 out of Miami.

We have the thought of flying into Key West, spend a day seeing the town, stay overnight, then rent a car one way to Miami to catch our cruise.

That's really a pretty long trip for just a day. But it can be done. Of course, you take the chance that the road will be open when you want to head up to the port.

It's a really pretty drive over the seven mile bridge, if you guys don't mind that its 3 hours from Key West to MIA, I say do it. If you give yourself more than a day, that's even better, you can take your time driving up, there are a bunch of neat places you can stop on the way. We've flown into MIA and FLL a couple of times to drive to the Keys and never experienced the road being closed.

I'm so curious now, what does it regularly close for? Glad we never had that issue!

We have run into closures or diversions following major storms. The roads and some of the bridges can get flooded. The 2017 hurricanes also left behind a lot of mess that took forever to clean up.

The drive is amazing, and you don't want to spoil it in the fear of missing your boat.

I was stuck on one of the bridges for 3 hours after a car accident temporarily closed one of the bridges. It’s a string of ”one way on, one way off” islands so I definitely wouldn’t make the drive on embarkation day. Maybe drive down after the cruise and fly home from there.

There are a few airlines that fly KW to Miami, its a 1 hour flight.

Silver Airways
United
AMerican

and for real bad accidents, but that does not occur regularly.

It does not take too much of an accident to shut down the 7 mile bridge ....... or significant chunks of US-1 in the Largo area ....

and for real bad accidents, but that does not occur regularly.

It does not take too much of an accident to shut down the 7 mile bridge ....... or significant chunks of US-1 in the Largo area ....
And once the road is closed, there's really not a bunch of other options to get out until either the weather or traffic accident is cleared up.

What is there to do on a Disney cruise line because when I was on Norwegian it was boring and nothing to do

Cruising is really not the same type of vacation as a land based one. You can get off at Islands and do excursions, but mostly, cruising is a more relaxing type of vacations. Most ships have some sort of entertainment, but nothing thrilling. Disney cruise normally has trivia, movies, the theater shows in the evening, a small mini golf area and basketball court, an adult/bar area that is more of an evening thing, and various group activities. Who knows what they are going to do in the immediate future when they start up again. If you found cruising boring on the Norwegian, I can't imagine that you would be any more entertained on the Disney cruise. That is just the nature of cruises. I personally love cruising. I am up and about in my daily life and really enjoy just being able to sit and read in the adult area and have people cater to me. I don't need zip lines and ATV tours to keep me occupied.

When we flew into KW from NY (had to change planes in Ft. Lauderdale) we were put on a literal prop plane where they asked your weight before you got on the plane to balance out the aircraft. Now I don't know if they do this all the time or they have some larger plans going into KW as well. With luggage/people there was some question as to whether the flight would be overweight and not be able to fly.

We have also driven from Delray Beach to KW and the drive is beautiful (once you pass Homestead, FL). We love KW and hope the cruise ships will be able to go there again but doubtful with the new ruling limiting large cruise ships in that port.

MJ

Don't do it.

1) One day will not be nearly enough time to appreciate or enjoy what is great about Key West and the Keys.
2) The drive is beautiful but long and slow. You'll want to take your time but you'll be racing for the boat.
3) Flying into EYW is usually rip-off expensive.

Consider extending your vacation by putting the Keys after your cruise. (A week renting a bungalow in Old Town can be life-changing.) Even better -- driving down and flying out is the BEST way to do it (if you can afford it).

I have only done the one way drive the other way but the drive is amazing and key west is fantastic. As others have said you would want to drive north the day before your cruise to insure you have no issues and overnight in Miami.
Sounds like a great trip.

My personal opinion is to just take the cruise that ports at key west. lol. No way I’d want to do that trip on embark day!! Key west is great for a day. I would definitely not fly there though to drive that trip up to Miami. But if you really want to do that I would also advice at end of trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!