Flu season. how's everyone been doing?

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
We are coming to the Fort on Saturday and I AM SO EXCITED!

I'm also worried about the flu!

How's everyone been doing who's been at the Fort in the last month? We are coming with small kids so taking all precautions to stay healthy!

I love the fort and wish I was there now :( but I will not be at Disney for a few months. I hope you stay healthy and do not get the flue, make sure you wash your hands a lot. ( I have heard if you take zink than it will help to knock out any colds of flue bugs you have, you will not like the taste of food for a few days, but you might want to look into getting some just in case) hope you have a great trip.

I live a couple hours north of WDW and the flu epidemic seems to be about over in our town. It seems like everyone I know had it in Dec or the first couple weeks in January. I don't know anyone that has it now. I hope it's similar at Disney, but can't say for sure. Some friends were at the Fort right after the 1st of the year and got it. Hopefully that means it ran it's course there at the same time it did here.

I'd say liberal use of hand sanitizer is in order just in case. I've heard the same thing about Zinc being helpful. Can't hurt.

Have a great time!

Hi,
Won't be at the fort till April since we tent camp and are too old for these temperatures.
But we've been in for 2 weekends in January including this most recent.
My husband was hit with the flu on this trip. Started feeling tired on Friday.
Called it a day when the rest of us park hopped from Epcot to HS on Saturday.
Then had a miserable feverish, with aches and chills night.
So we rope dropped the urgent care instead of AK on Sunday and packed it in after picking up his prescriptions.
Most of those in the waiting room were wearing magic bands and seemed to be suffering with the same symptoms.
So the flu still has a strong presence there.
Be prepared and don't wait to seek treatment.
You need to start the tamiflu within 48 hrs of symptom onset.

A very bad side effect with lots of people with Tamiflu is nausea and throwing up. It doesn't lessen the duration of the flu by much, but does seem to keep it from going into more serious illnesses - which is a very big plus!

The problem with flu is you can transmit it at least a day before you have symptoms!! :faint:
Now, that's a bummer in crowds!! No one knows if they're coming down sick 'tomorrow'!!! :eek:

The main thing is wash, wash, hands, use hand sanitizer and keep hands away from face.

Hi,
Won't be at the fort till April since we tent camp and are too old for these temperatures.
But we've been in for 2 weekends in January including this most recent.
My husband was hit with the flu on this trip. Started feeling tired on Friday.
Called it a day when the rest of us park hopped from Epcot to HS on Saturday.
Then had a miserable feverish, with aches and chills night.
So we rope dropped the urgent care instead of AK on Sunday and packed it in after picking up his prescriptions.
Most of those in the waiting room were wearing magic bands and seemed to be suffering with the same symptoms.
So the flu still has a strong presence there.
Be prepared and don't wait to seek treatment.
You need to start the tamiflu within 48 hrs of symptom onset.

I'm so sorry to hear that. How's he feeling now? What urgent care did you go to? Did you have a good experience?

A very bad side effect with lots of people with Tamiflu is nausea and throwing up. It doesn't lessen the duration of the flu by much, but does seem to keep it from going into more serious illnesses - which is a very big plus!

The problem with flu is you can transmit it at least a day before you have symptoms!! :faint:
Now, that's a bummer in crowds!! No one knows if they're coming down sick 'tomorrow'!!! :eek:

The main thing is wash, wash, hands, use hand sanitizer and keep hands away from face.

We will certainly be doing Tamiflu, even though those side effects are awful!

We will be doing lots of hand washing, that's for sure.

We will certainly be doing Tamiflu, even though those side effects are awful!

We will be doing lots of hand washing, that's for sure.
Why would you be doing tamiflu or are you saying if you get the flu then you will do tamiflu. ( I know some dr will write an RX for it if you been around someone with the flu and you are high risk for complications form the flu

Why would you be doing tamiflu or are you saying if you get the flu then you will do tamiflu. ( I know some dr will write an RX for it if you been around someone with the flu and you are high risk for complications form the flu

Sorry, I meant we will do Tamiflu if we get the flu. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that.

I'm so sorry to hear that. How's he feeling now? What urgent care did you go to? Did you have a good experience?

He is still coughing pretty roughly but his fever and chills resolved by late Monday. His temp was 103.8 at the Dr office though he'd been taking Advil since the previous afternoon. We went to the one on 535 next to a CVS (it was the first on the list when I googled urgent care near WDW) and they were very good. In fairly quickly, and everyone was nice. It is very small. Tiny waiting room with maybe 8 seats. They opened at 8:00 Sunday morning and as I said we were there at rope drop so were in and out easily. The room was full when we were leaving. They gave him Tylenol immediately after checking his temp, did the nasal swab for flu, then gave him prescriptions for tamiflu and augmentin (an antibiotic).

The Dr who treated my husband offered me a prescription also, though I had no symptoms. We are both senior citizens so I guess are in the high risk group. I did not take it then but after checking with my doctor at home, she also recommended it and I did start taking it. So far, I am fine.

The Dr who treated my husband offered me a prescription also, though I had no symptoms. We are both senior citizens so I guess are in the high risk group. I did not take it then but after checking with my doctor at home, she also recommended it and I did start taking it. So far, I am fine.

Yes I am high risk ( my Dr told me if I ever came down with the flu I would get a one-stop pass to the hospital and then she said it would more then likely be the ICU) I had someone at my work with the flu 2 years ago I was put on tamaflu likely I did not get the flu. So yes if you are high risk and are around someone with the flu then you should see about getting tamiflu.

I was fine when I took tamiflu two years ago if I took it without eating something I got un upset stomach was all

Tamiflu can be expensive, even with insurance I've had patient's tell me it was around $75. Others, not nearly that much.

Technically not recommended if symptom onset >72 hours, preferred to start within 48 hours. It has the POTENTIAL to lessen the severity of symptoms and decrease symptom duration by around 48 hours. Some research will indicate higher or lower but these are generally the stats that we give the patients. Common misconception is that it cures the flu, which it does not. Simply helps with symptoms.

Jury is really out on starting someone on Tamiflu who have no symptoms. It has potential for adverse effects or allergic reaction, but all medicines do. If you have underlying conditions such as asthma, COPD, cancer, or weakened immune system then usually will prescribe for safety measures.

Our last 2-3 flu seasons have been moderate where I live, but this year it has been stronger. Then again, the temps have been considerably lower which usually coincides with the increased cases.

Be safe and wash hands regularly

He is still coughing pretty roughly but his fever and chills resolved by late Monday. His temp was 103.8 at the Dr office though he'd been taking Advil since the previous afternoon. We went to the one on 535 next to a CVS (it was the first on the list when I googled urgent care near WDW) and they were very good. In fairly quickly, and everyone was nice. It is very small. Tiny waiting room with maybe 8 seats. They opened at 8:00 Sunday morning and as I said we were there at rope drop so were in and out easily. The room was full when we were leaving. They gave him Tylenol immediately after checking his temp, did the nasal swab for flu, then gave him prescriptions for tamiflu and augmentin (an antibiotic).

Glad he is feeling better and that you were well taken care of!

The flu is all over Disney! I'm scared to take my kids up there!

The flu is very widespread. Anytime you are in such a large gathering, you have chances of catching whatever people bring with them!! There are people there from all around the globe, some maybe in various stages of the flu, and some maybe not even be aware of getting it
yet, but already contagious.

You can also pick it up at the grocery, Dr.'s office, or basically anywhere you go. The main thing you can do is wash hands often, keep hands away from face (which is next to impossible with littles) and use hand gel.

Not sure where you live, but by the end of Dec. the CDC said that flu was widespread in 36 states - lots more by now!!

What you shouldn't do is be so scared that you try to quit 'living' your normal life. We can't control everything unfortunately. Just do your best and carry on!! :)

Ok, see now that you said you were 30min. away - from Disney, I presume. It is widespread in FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter