Flower girl in a wheelchair?

Zhoen

FairieVillainMother
Greetings, brilliant DIS-ers!!!

I am hoping those of you with loved ones in wheelchairs can help me with some ideas...

My niece is getting married in the fall, and her fiancé's little sister is wheelchair-bound with limited arm mobility. They want her to participate in the ceremony, and were thinking she could be a flower girl, but they aren't sure if she'll be alright with the actual throwing motion for the flower petals, so they are trying to think of other ideas.

We've seen ideas where instead of throwing petals, the flower-girls carry a "here comes the bride" sign, but there is a second flower girl, and it would be weird for only one of them to carry a sign. We've also seen where they just carry a basket of flowers but don't throw anything (so more of a junior-bridesmaid role.)

I was thinking she might be able to pull the trigger on a bubble gun/wand (like the ones they sell at Disney,) and the 2 flower girls could be "bubble girls" instead. (Not to mention, no clean-up!!!)

Any insights? Brilliant ideas I can totally take credit for?

Whatever is chosen will be wonderful. What an amazing couple to be so thoughtful. I think it would be fine for one of the girls to have petals and another to have a sign.

Maybe she could hold a small hand-held fan that can blow the flowers out of a basket in her lap? Or just deck her wheelchair out completely in flowers and have her roll down the aisle. Maybe something could be rigged to the back of her wheelchair to drop flowers as she rolls along? Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Greetings, brilliant DIS-ers!!!

I am hoping those of you with loved ones in wheelchairs can help me with some ideas...

My niece is getting married in the fall, and her fiancé's little sister is wheelchair-bound with limited arm mobility. They want her to participate in the ceremony, and were thinking she could be a flower girl, but they aren't sure if she'll be alright with the actual throwing motion for the flower petals, so they are trying to think of other ideas.

We've seen ideas where instead of throwing petals, the flower-girls carry a "here comes the bride" sign, but there is a second flower girl, and it would be weird for only one of them to carry a sign. We've also seen where they just carry a basket of flowers but don't throw anything (so more of a junior-bridesmaid role.)

I was thinking she might be able to pull the trigger on a bubble gun/wand (like the ones they sell at Disney,) and the 2 flower girls could be "bubble girls" instead. (Not to mention, no clean-up!!!)

Any insights? Brilliant ideas I can totally take credit for?
before you plan on bubbles make sure they are allowed. one thing to remember depending on flooring spilled bubbles make a very slippery mess. don't ask how I know but the mess caused bubble to only be allowed outside not inside. plus as a guest I am allergic to bubbles which causes hives. in our area most of the kid flower girls do not throw petals but just carry their basket of flowers

Nothing says a flower girl must toss petals. She can carry a basket - that’s what my flower girl did and it’s also what my DD and 2 others did at my brother’s wedding. Your niece should ask the girl and/or her mother what would work best for her abilities.

Congrats to your niece!

ETA... moving to the disABILITIES Community Forum

For both the wedding that I was a flower girl when I was a child, and for the flower girl in my own wedding, the flower girl carried a basket of flowers. I don't think dropping petals was allowed for my wedding due to clean-up (we were not allowed to throw anything like rice/bird seed as we left the church either.)

But when I have seen flower girls spread petals, they tend to drop them softly rather than throwing them. If she has enough hand motion to pull the trigger on a bubble gun, would she have the dexterity to drop the petals over the side of her chair as she's pushed down the aisle?

If not, then I also either like the idea of her holding the basket while the other girl spreads the petals... or having her carry a sign while the other flower girl spreads the petals.

I've never been to a wedding where the flower girl tossed petals and when I was a flower girl many many moons ago I never did. It's been a small bouquet only and a big smile.

How old is she? If she is 10+ I'd have her be a junior bridesmaid anyways.
I too have not been to a wedding where flower petals were actually tossed.
The weddings I've been to have been in churches that made it clear they did not want even fake petals tossed so even the flower girl just carried flowers.
I do like the bubble girls idea if they like being modern and are having it where the floor is carpeted so it won't get slippery.

It really does not matter. Being Disabled we are given so few opportunities. You could ask her to brainstorm some ideas?

there was no petal throwing at all at my wedding. she just carried a basket that was a mini version of my bouquet.

before you plan on bubbles make sure they are allowed. one thing to remember depending on flooring spilled bubbles make a very slippery mess. don't ask how I know but the mess caused bubble to only be allowed outside not inside. plus as a guest I am allergic to bubbles which causes hives. in our area most of the kid flower girls do not throw petals but just carry their basket of flowers

and they were banned at my outdoor venue as well( okay, it was at a zoo and the soap residue was harmful to the waterfowl in the pond directly adjacent to the gazebo)

Thanks for all the input! Around here the petals things depends on the venues, though the last wedding I was at, they did have the petals to drop. If the weather is good, they are planning the ceremony outdoors, though they have an inside area they can move it into if the weather is bad.

I just heard from them today that they have found an extra groomsman so that they can "promote" her to junior bridesmaid, so that's that. :) Thanks so much for all the ideas and feedback!

Glad it worked out.

My daughter who uses a wheelchair was a bridemaid at her sister’s wedding.
Her cousin’s niece was flower girl; the wedding was outside, but no flowers were thrown anyway. So, I don’t think the flower girl throwing flowers is universal.

When I was a maid of honor, I was recovering from a hip injury, and at first we weren't sure if I'd be healed enough in time to walk down the aisle without crutches. We made all kinds of plans for decorating them with matching flowers and ribbons. I'm sure little sister is going to have fun and be a beautiful bridesmaid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!