Florida residents....services info

LisaBi

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I currently live in Kansas and have a 22 year old son who has Down Syndrome. I desperately want to move to Florida, but am concerned about being able to get services for him. He is currently receiving residential and day services. I'm OK with him moving back in with me, but would still need at least day services or possibly home based supports so I can work. There is no way he can be home alone all day. Can anyone give me any info on the situation in Florida? Is there a horrible waiting list? I wouldn't be able to private pay. I couldn't afford it now, and anticipate a move will equate to a lower paying job.

Yes, there is a horrible waiting list in Florida. There was an NBC special a while ago that documented several adults with autism living in various locations. One father had to move to Florida for work. When asked about services in Florida, the answer was "Services? We have good weather." So, the family had to split up and mom and kids stayed in their home state and the father moved to Florida. Sorry to be so blunt.

I have two sons in their 20's with developmental disabilities and live at home with us. We live in New York State. Like other states, there are no group home placements, no sheltered workshops anymore, few if any day hab placements. My suggestion is if you have services where you live, stay there. Research places you want to move to before you do anything in the way of moving. Your son's social worker should be able to help you with any research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter