Floor ssurface at WL?

vhoffman

DIS Veteran
We're considering staying at WL this October. Upon looking at some photos of the WL lobby, part of the floor surface looks uneven or "bumpy". I recently took my kids to a museum where about half the floor surfaces were uneven and bumpy. It was to give an "old west" feel to the museum, and even had horse hoof imprints. I was surprised and somewhat appaled at how difficult it was to walk on such a surface. I had both ankles fused due to artiritic damage, making it difficult to walk on uneven surfaces. I was quite uncomfortable and apprehensive while walking on that flooring and stumbled several times. I found myself looking at the floor more than the exhibits. I know this board is the place to post such a question. People without disabilities rarely notice such things because it isn't a problem for them. If anyone could tell me how the floor surfaces are there I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I didn't notice the floors at WL being bumpy but since I use a chair, I'm not sure if I'd feel the same way "on foot". Animal Kingdom theme park has those imprints on most surfaces which makes it difficult even in a chair and I wore out a set of back tires in one year due to frequent visits there. The w/c vendor wanted to know where I'd been to have lost tread so quickly, lol. ---Kathy

Phone the Resort directly 407-824-3200, and ask about accessibility. My recollection is that the perimeter was carpeted. Perhaps an appliance may help when you need it most. You may encounter similar obstructions and uneven flooring surfaces throughout the Resorts and Parks.

Although it would have helped her, Grandmother Ambassador always politely, but subbornly, refused wheelchair service in airports and hotels, leaving her exhausted by the end of the day. Try to pamper yourself, and make your vacation as relaxing as possible.

That's a good idea to call the resort to ask about the floor.
As I recall, most of the lobby is wood inlaid in patterns like shown in these pictures:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2490&papass=&sort=1&thecat=519

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1010&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=519

I might be wrong, but I remember the wood as quite smooth. The one thing I recall for certain is that there is a long, fairly steep ramp at the back of the lobby that goes past the restaurants (toward the pool area, boat area and Roaring Forks food court).

Calling the resort won't help. Unless a person is disabled they don't tend to notice such things. An uneven floor surface wouldn't be of concern to a person without a disabiity, however, it can make a difference to a person with a disability. That's why I posted here, in the hopes that another disabled guest had noticed the floor surface from the perspective of a disabled person. I really think the decision to use a wheelchair is a personal one. All I'm asking for here is others actual experiences, not whether someone else thinks I need a wheelchair. BTW, that won't solve all the problems. Read the post from the lady who's ECV wheels were chewed up by the uneven paths at AK.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by vhoffman
Calling the resort won't help. Unless a person is disabled they don't tend to notice such things. An uneven floor surface wouldn't be of concern to a person without a disabiity, however, it can make a difference to a person with a disability. That's why I posted here, in the hopes that another disabled guest had noticed the floor surface from the perspective of a disabled person. I really think the decision to use a wheelchair is a personal one. All I'm asking for here is others actual experiences, not whether someone else thinks I need a wheelchair. BTW, that won't solve all the problems. Read the post from the lady who's ECV wheels were chewed up by the uneven paths at AK.:rolleyes:
My DW is not disabled, but she does notice such things as uneven surfaces. The floor at WL is primarily hardwood flooring with some areas covered by carpeting. Hallways are carpeted. There are few, if any, bumps, however, if you are expecting a 100% smooth as glass surface, I doubt you will find that anywhere at Disney. My DW has never had a problem walking at WL, with the possible exception of the inclined walkway leading to Roaring Forks. The only reason she has a problem with that is due to the angle of the incline -- she feels it is a little too steep.

I DO think that calling the resort MIGHT still be helpful. True, if a person has a disability, they tend to look more at surfaces, but talking to someone at the resort and asking specific questions about the floors might still be helpful. ASking to talk to Housekeeping would probably be helpful since they actually have to deal with the floors. Just asking a random person at the resort, do you have rough floors probably won't do the trick.
The example of the rough themed walkways at AK has been posted about on the general boards by people without disabilities because it's pretty noticeable.

The floors at Wilderness Lodge are varnished wood and not particularly uneven, except when it changes over to carpet. The absolute worst floors are at the Polynesian, as they are very uneven and I would never even attempt to try and walk there. I do notice the floors(smile), as I can walk a few steps, but not on uneven surfaces. I can never manage to get into a Walmart because of the incredibly uneven surfaces on the floor in the entry/exit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, the suggestion to call housekeeping is probably the best bet. I've stayed at the Poly twice, and been to AK 3 times, and never had a problem with the floor surfaces. About a month ago I took my kids to a new historical museum who's floors were very rough and bumpy. That was only in part of the museum, but that part was very difficult for me to navigate. It was trying too hard to give an "old west" feel to the place. They even had horses hoofs imprinted in the surface. This wasn't very good planning, IMO. I asked about the floor surfaces at WL because I saw a picture of the lobby or interior of WL and it looked like an uneven, bumpy floor much like I encountered at the museum. Its impossible to tell from a picture, however, it is of concern to me. With all the great resorts to choose from at Disney one might as well be satisfied with their choice. But housekeeping or maintenance would probably have the answer. Thanks for the advice!

I was just there in December and even though I'm a fulltime chair user I noticed. The floors in the main lobby at very smooth well polished wood ones. Ramp down from lobby to boat ramp is carpeted and naturally the dock to boat ramp is planks like most docks/decks. My chair made a bumpety, bumpety noise, but I didn't feel much vibration as most of the boards are level.

The rough floor you are seeing occurs from the main lobby at the gift shop area to the exit doors that lead to the busstop. It is one of those rock/cobblestone like floors. Not as rough as some I've been on, but not totally smooth. I'm guessing the length of this area to be about 40-50 feet? After exiting, you are on smooth concrete sidewalks down to the bus.
Angela

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter