Flocks of Lawyers Circling WDW ???

TheRustyScupper

Everyone Is Responsible For Everyone.
1) Are legal eagles ready to set their to eye Disney?
2) All the bucks spent on the new Pandora rides, and they are not wheelchair accessible.
3) One would think in these days and times, new rides (non-grandfathered) should accommodate chairs.
4) Instead, wheelchair people MUST transfer to these rides.
. . . OK, riding banshees might be tough for a chair-bound person
. . . But, the boat ride should be designed to take a wheelchair
4) At the least, there could be a section or room where chair-folks could sit and watch (like at Star Tours).

NOTE: Sure, the Pandora movie-land got people out of wheelchairs, but this land is not light years from Earth. The ride theme may be fantasy, but it operates in The Real World.

Here's the thing, they don't have to make the rides wheelchair accessible. It's not a requirement. However, they have to make it so someone in a wheelchair can navigate the queue and be offered an assistive device to transfer. There's no law that states that Disney has to make a particular ride vehicle accommodate a wheelchair, they just have to accommodate someone with a disability by providing the tools (ex. transfer board) that they would need to use to accommodate their needs.

I agree however that the river ride SHOULD accommodate a chair. Small World can, Jungle Cruise can, and Living with the Land can, so I don't see why this shouldn't.

Reasonable adjustments I think is the right terminology. With the boat right I think it should be a no brainer unless I am missing something maybe it will come a little later down the line. The other ride is more of questionable depending on the restrictions on it. Disney despite making stupid decisions on some things will have themselves covered legally.

I don't get why they didn't make it wheelchair accessible. Can we all agree that the flow of rides is lessened when the rides halt for a transfer and the irritating PA announcement comes on? Why not lessen that issue, and make life easier for handicapped riders? Seems like a pretty big oversight.
My only guess is boat size. They are quite small.

It's because Disney obviously doesn't like handicapped people. :rolleyes2

Really?? I'm sure there's a good reason, and I'm sure we'll learn more in time.

My only guess is boat size. They are quite small.

So? one boat has diminished capacity out of all the others they're able to put on the track. I don't think the diminished capacity of one or two handicapped accessible vehicles will hurt the overall capacity by a significant enough amount

So? one boat has diminished capacity out of all the others they're able to put on the track. I don't think the diminished capacity of one or two handicapped accessible vehicles will hurt the overall capacity by a significant enough amount
Capacity isn't my point. The boats would likely only fit the wheelchair person and maybe one guest due to their size. If it only fits the wheelchair, not everyone likes to ride alone so that could create other issues. These boats are not the size of small world or pirates boats, they are much smaller.

Capacity isn't my point. The boats would likely only fit the wheelchair person and maybe one guest due to their size. If it only fits the wheelchair, not everyone likes to ride alone so that could create other issues. These boats are not the size of small world or pirates boats, they are much smaller.

I think if they could squeeze on one other person with the ride they'd be all set.

I think if they could squeeze on one other person with the ride they'd be all set.
I don't disagree I just don't know how building a wheelchair boat like that works. You obviously have to build it for more than one size wheelchair. I would imagine they looked into it but decided against it for some reason.

Not everyone gets to ride everything.

This whole Avatar/Pandora conversation about accessibility is like parents having a freakout that their 2 month old cannot accompany them on Space Mountain. It's a safety issue. For the record, I can't ride everything either. I saw a vast number of people in various mobility devices and needs get turned away by CM's - it happens! Can't bring the service dog into the Buzz Lightyear ride, he has to be kenneled. Person who is unable to sit upright and is velcro'ed to their chair? Not many rides for them either. Carousel of Progress, Mickey's Philharmonic, Monsters Inc., those sorts of theatres were not a problem but no, of course the CM's cannot stop the PeopleMover, unvelcro and buckle in this guest and ensure he's as safe in the ride vehicle as in his velcro-strap wheelchair.

Yes obviously life is not fair and annoying, but that is when I start quoting Hannah Montana, "Life's what you make it, so let's make it right!" You get out of it what you put in. Being all harsh and nasty and angry about a ride that is still in Preview Mode? *sigh* Maybe they WILL design a seat for wheelchair-bound users in the future. And maybe they won't. Go experience Pandora anyway and have a great time! Once you have a $50 banshee wirelessly mounted on your shoulder, you can cruise around with it in your ECV. Laugh like an evil villain with new minions, it'll be fun.

I doubt it will be an issue. Disney is pretty up to date with ADA stuff. Look at the whole DAS uproar when it went live. People sued and Disney has pretty much won every suit that has made it through. Not every ride has to be 100% accessible as in completely accessible by all people regardless of disability.

1) Are legal eagles ready to set their to eye Disney?
2) All the bucks spent on the new Pandora rides, and they are not wheelchair accessible.
3) One would think in these days and times, new rides (non-grandfathered) should accommodate chairs.
4) Instead, wheelchair people MUST transfer to these rides.
. . . OK, riding banshees might be tough for a chair-bound person
. . . But, the boat ride should be designed to take a wheelchair
4) At the least, there could be a section or room where chair-folks could sit and watch (like at Star Tours).

NOTE: Sure, the Pandora movie-land got people out of wheelchairs, but this land is not light years from Earth. The ride theme may be fantasy, but it operates in The Real World.

You have to transfer for both Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride and Little Mermaid, if there haven't been lawsuits over those, not sure why they suddenly would be over the Avatar rides.

I don't get why they didn't make it wheelchair accessible. Can we all agree that the flow of rides is lessened when the rides halt for a transfer and the irritating PA announcement comes on? Why not lessen that issue, and make life easier for handicapped riders? Seems like a pretty big oversight.

...especially since one of the main characters in the Avatar film is wheelchair-bound.

1) I fully admit to a personal bias.
2) I have been in a wheelchair since my February MAJOR car accident.
. . . driving on Oceola Parkway near Disney, at highway speed
. . . on-coming driver decided to turn left in front of me
. . . no notice or time to avoid the other car
. . . completely destroyed everything in front of my Yukon windshield
. . . by the Grace of God and GM Safety Engineers, me and my 16-year-old passenger survived
. . . we were coming from volunteering at Give-Kids-The-World
. . . I guess even helping terminally-ill children has its ill-fated rewards
. . . she with only seat-belt rashes, and me with two fractured discs and one fractured ankle
3) If all goes as planned, I should be out of the wheelchair in July-2017
4) But, due to being chair-bond, I can understand A LITTLE of the plight of others.
5) Why should they not be able to enjoy the ride, due to Joe Rohde poor-planning?
6) Disney should be enjoyed by all.

NOTE: Yes, I have been highly, and very openly, vocal critical of Rohde for a long time. He under-planned AK from the start. He did a poor job in the design of the Nighttime Safari, he goofed big-time on the Rivers of Light design and timing. Now, he limits who can enjoy the spectacle of Pandora. And, we have not even talked about the approximate 1-mile walk to exit Pandora, or using the wrong coolant on Avatar ride, so it can run for 1-hr and needs to cool down for 2-hrs. (As an engineer with 11-USA-patents, I have seen where things could have been different. He even has missed planed project milestone dates. SHAME on him. And, SHAME ON DISNEY for keeping him on-board.)

Last edited:
...especially since one of the main characters in the Avatar film is wheelchair-bound.

Agreed. After losing his legs, then putting his mind in the Avatar, he just seemed exhilarated being able to walk and running at full speed, big part of the movie and his decisions. I would think even a "stationary" area to sit in a wheel chair would be a good way to experience it (FoP)-same thing they could have done at Soarin IMO, even if just at one of the screens.

Not everyone gets to ride everything.

This whole Avatar/Pandora conversation about accessibility is like parents having a freakout that their 2 month old cannot accompany them on Space Mountain. It's a safety issue. For the record, I can't ride everything either. I saw a vast number of people in various mobility devices and needs get turned away by CM's - it happens! Can't bring the service dog into the Buzz Lightyear ride, he has to be kenneled. Person who is unable to sit upright and is velcro'ed to their chair? Not many rides for them either. Carousel of Progress, Mickey's Philharmonic, Monsters Inc., those sorts of theatres were not a problem but no, of course the CM's cannot stop the PeopleMover, unvelcro and buckle in this guest and ensure he's as safe in the ride vehicle as in his velcro-strap wheelchair.

Yes obviously life is not fair and annoying, but that is when I start quoting Hannah Montana, "Life's what you make it, so let's make it right!" You get out of it what you put in. Being all harsh and nasty and angry about a ride that is still in Preview Mode? *sigh* Maybe they WILL design a seat for wheelchair-bound users in the future. And maybe they won't. Go experience Pandora anyway and have a great time! Once you have a $50 banshee wirelessly mounted on your shoulder, you can cruise around with it in your ECV. Laugh like an evil villain with new minions, it'll be fun.

I agree with this in concept - at the same time it seems to me in 2017 Disney would want to make sure as many people could ride at least one of the 2 new rides in the new land as possible ... and especially seeing the challenges with the FoP ride, it's just surprising to me they didn't design the slow-moving boat ride to accomodate wheel chairs as some people literally cannot transfer and thus they are unable to ride anything in pandora.

Do they have to make to river ride so it can take wheelchairs? No, of course not ... but was it the best/smartest decisions? Especially when there is no apparent reason why they couldn't have (I assume there is a non-apparent reason, but that doesn't help people)

1) I admit to a personal bias.
2) I have been in a wheelchair since my February MAJOR car accident.
. . . driving on Oceola Parkway near Disney
. . . on-coming driver decided to turn left in front of me
. . . completely destroyed everything in front of my Yukon windshield
. . . by the Grace of God and GM Safety Engineers, me and my 16-year-old passenger survived
. . . she with only seat-belt rashes, and me with two fractured discs and one fractured ankle
3) If all goes as planned, I should be out of the wheelchair in July-2017
4) But, due to being chair-bond, I can understand A LITTLE of the plight of others.
5) Why should they not be able to enjoy the ride, due to Joe Rohde poor-planning?
6) Disney should be enjoyed by all.

NOTE: Yes, I have been highly, and very openly, vocal critical of Rohde for a long time. He under-planned AK from the start. He did a poor job in the design of the Nighttime Safari, he goofed big-time on the Rivers of Light design and timing. Now, he limits who can enjoy the spectacle of Pandora. And, we have not even talked about the approximate 1-mile walk to exit Pandora, or using the wrong coolant on Avatar ride, so it can run for 1-hr and needs to cool down for 2-hrs. (As an engineer with 11-USA-patents, I have seen where things could have been different. He even has missed planed project milestone dates. SHAME on him. And, SHAME ON DISNEY for keeping him on-board.)
1) Because every single thing in Animal Kingdom is done by Joe Rohde?
2) He under planned AK because he didn't have the money to complete it. That's not just Rohde.
3) I also don't see how you can blame Joe for RoL. He was not on the design team for that, sure he oversees anything AK does but that doesn't mean it's his fault. Disney is a big company.
4) Just because you have a personal issue with Joe Rohde doesn't mean everything he does is wrong or bad.
5) 1 mile walk to exit Pandora? What are you talking about? It uses the same entrance Camp Minnie Mickey had.
6) The coolant comment makes no sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter