Flip flips?

Apple_Lyn83

Earning My Ears
I'll be at Disney for a week in June. I normally wear sneakers. Since chemo therapy I do not tolerate heat as well. I have never been a fan of shoes and socks. For a one day trip to local parks I've always worn my Rainbows. They stand up well to getting wet since they are meant for salt water. Has anyone else survived a week walking in flip flops?
*Side note I did do a post search and read that a lot of people had success with Crocs but I'm not a fan. I only ever owned one pair and gave them away.

I really like Sanuks. Haven’t tried wearing their flip flops around the park all day so can’t specifically say how that would be. I have worn their Sidewalk Suffers around the parks without an issue.

I had shin splints for 4 months after I did the parks for a week in flip flops. I’ve stuck to sneakers ever since. I did just invest in a pair of Keen sandals for my upcoming June trip, as I’ve heard that many folks really like the support the offer. I’m hoping I love them!

I really like Sanuks. Haven’t tried wearing their flip flops around the park all day so can’t specifically say how that would be. I have worn their Sidewalk Suffers around the parks without an issue.
I have a pair of Sanuk flip flops. My foot slides around a lot once they get wet and they are super slick on flooring after rain. So I would be hesitant to wear them to Disney.

I bought my first pair of Sanuk flip flops in Downtown Disney on our Disneyland trip last fall and ended up wearing them for almost half the trip even though they were brand new and I hadn't broken them in or gotten accustomed to them ahead of time. No blisters despite walking all day in them for multiple days, and they were easier on my feet than my enclosed sandals once my feet started to swell a couple days in. I can't speak to how well they do when wet since we didn't get rained on (it was actually record-breakingly hot, urgh).

So while in the past I would have thought people were nuts to wear flip flops in the park...yeah, if they're comfy, if they have good support and a band that's easy on your toes, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't wear cheap plastic flip flops, but if the Rainbows are higher-end flip flops with good support, I think you'll be fine. You might consider picking up a second pair of sandals in a different style, as alternating two significantly different pairs of shoes day by day can help a lot to counteract sore feet and prevent blisters.

What type of shoes do you normally wear during the day? I am on my feet and at this age, I need good walking shoes with arch support otherwise my plantar fasciitis acts up. If you can walk all day in sandals and flip flops without any pain then go with them. I would recommend something with maybe a heal strap so your feet do not have to work so hard to "hold" the shoe on. Whatever shoe you get, I would walk hours in them to see if they will work for your trip.

I'll be at Disney for a week in June. I normally wear sneakers. Since chemo therapy I do not tolerate heat as well. I have never been a fan of shoes and socks. For a one day trip to local parks I've always worn my Rainbows. They stand up well to getting wet since they are meant for salt water. Has anyone else survived a week walking in flip flops?
*Side note I did do a post search and read that a lot of people had success with Crocs but I'm not a fan. I only ever owned one pair and gave them away.
I wear waterproof Tevas.

What type of shoes do you normally wear during the day? I am on my feet and at this age, I need good walking shoes with arch support otherwise my plantar fasciitis acts up. If you can walk all day in sandals and flip flops without any pain then go with them. I would recommend something with maybe a heal strap so your feet do not have to work so hard to "hold" the shoe on. Whatever shoe you get, I would walk hours in them to see if they will work for your trip.

Would losing your shoes on a ride be a risk? I guess Disney doesn't have a lot of rides where your feet are dangling.

I’ve never been able to wear tennis shoes because my wide feet are prone to blister and my heels chafe and bleed if anything rubs on them for too long. I started out wearing sandals to Disney, but I would end up practically wrapping each foot in Moleskin to prevent blisters and then swapping pairs daily (or more!) to reduce wear. But then by chance, I stumbled on a Clearance pair of Skechers Pizazz flip flops in my size. And oh baby, I’ve never looked back! I still do a strip of Moleskin to prevent the band from rubbing on the top of my foot, but the Go Walk padding keeps my feet cushioned for miles. In fact, I just bought a fresh pair for my trip next Saturday. Highly recommend.

Would losing your shoes on a ride be a risk? I guess Disney doesn't have a lot of rides where your feet are dangling.

They do have you take off your flip flops on Soarin'. That is the only ride that I have heard them say to take them off. But my comment was more about the way you walk in flip flops, not loosing them on a ride. When you wear flip flops, you toes curl a bit as you walk to keep the shoe on(unless of course your are shuffler). That is not really healthy for your feet. Having the ankle strap helps keep the shoe on so your feet do not have to work as hard.

They do have you take off your flip flops on Soarin'. That is the only ride that I have heard them say to take them off. But my comment was more about the way you walk in flip flops, not loosing them on a ride. When you wear flip flops, you toes curl a bit as you walk to keep the shoe on(unless of course your are shuffler). That is not really healthy for your feet. Having the ankle strap helps keep the shoe on so your feet do not have to work as hard.

I've never been told to take off my flip flops on soarin. And many flip flops now have sloped soles with arch support and footbeds that prevent the toe curling thing. Fit Flops, for one. I can walk MILES in mine and cannot do that with any other kind of shoe except running shoes. I find shoes with a heel or ankle strap rub me painfully and cause blisters (I have really bony ankles). I can't wear Tevas.

I've never been told to take off my flip flops on soarin. And many flip flops now have sloped soles with arch support and footbeds that prevent the toe curling thing. Fit Flops, for one. I can walk MILES in mine and cannot do that with any other kind of shoe except running shoes. I find shoes with a heel or ankle strap rub me painfully and cause blisters (I have really bony ankles). I can't wear Tevas.

You really have never heard the spiel about leaving your shoes on the ground for Soarin'?

You really have never heard the spiel about leaving your shoes on the ground for Soarin'?

No. Maybe they don't do this in California (where I ride Soarin a couple times a month...). Almost everyone in CA is wearing slip on shoes at any given time. My kids always wear crocs. I almost always wear Fit Flops. None of us takes our shoes off on Soarin. They never even come close to falling off either. I take my flip flops off on the Silly Symphony Swings, but that's a completely different type of ride. I hold them in my hand. My kids leave their crocs on for that ride too. No one is told to take their shoes off on any ride at Disneyland, as far as I can remember.

My DD(Adult) would live in flip flops, if not for her job.
She only wears closed toes shoes for works otherwise she wears flip flops.
She even name her dog Flip Flop.

Last edited:
I only wear flip flops and sandals on every trip. The best flip flops that I have are OluKai Ohana. I also love all of the OluKai brand sandals that I have tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!