Flights with BA

Sue88UK

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone

Just like to say hello and thanks for all your useful info. I'm new to these boards so I forgive me if I sound too long winded.

I would appreciate any experiences on BA flights as I had to book early and made sure I had the flights because we'll be joining a cruise ship next Easter. We are travelling down from Manchester on the BA domestic, connecting at Gatwick. Just want any feedback from anyone who has flown with BA to Orlando. What's their service like and the conditions on the plane.

BA used to say they have FREE connecting flights but this is not so. I had set out to get quotes for flight prices from Manchester to Orlando and they were VERY expensive, even thought I looked nearly a year in advance. But when I looked at their fares from Gatwick to Orlando the difference in price was nearly £700 for the 4 of us!!:(

Their domestic flights are only £78pp!! How did the work that one out? Even the sales rep at BA was puzzled! Anyway I'm using my Airmiles for the domestic flights.

Told you I was long winded - appreciate any feedbacks on this subject. Thanks.

Hi Sue,

We flew schedule BA back in February. We chose BA becuase 10 of us were flying together, (4kids under 9) and needed the peace of mind to know that we would all be able to fly on the same day and sit together. Something Travel agents wouldn't or couldn't guarantee!!

I have flown to Orlando with Britannia, Virgin and BA and in my experience BA wins hands down.

In fairness I would never not fly again with the the others but BA would always be my first port of call.

The new planes are brilliant and service the Orlando route more often than not. Foot rests. Head rests incorporated into the seats. Seat back TV's etc. Leg room is average but a lot better than Virgin or Britannia.

The TV has proper childrens channels as well. I'm no prude but on my last flight with Virgin the TV showed End of an affair, a film which has several sex scenes in. The service carried no warnings and no parental block facility!!!!!

BA also leaves before Virgin with its two flights a day. and in my experience handles delays better because of it.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

Hi :wave: and welcome to the boards!

We've used BA Gatwick / Orlando flights and found them to be very good , but I haven't done the domestic leg, so can't help with that.

The last time we flew with BA was early 2001, so I don't know whether anything might have changed since then. We had seat-back televisions, and the food was (as far as I can remember) average airline fodder. The best thing, for me, was that the seats had a pull-out footrest which made the journey more comfortable for a shortie like me! :rolleyes: The seats also had side flaps that pulled round to support your head a little if you wanted to get some sleep without the risk of waking up to find your head in your neighbour's lap! ;)

I would happily use BA in the future - in fact, if the prices were the same, I would prefer them to Virgin (who always seem to come out as everyone's favourite).

Hi Sue,

I've flown with anumber of operators and the last time was with BA from Gatwick to Orlando.

Based on our experience, BA just edged it over Virgin.

Hi there Sue :D ! Welcome to the DIS :D ( You are not long-winded at all! Post away!)
We flew with BA to Orlando in May and had an older plane which did not have seatback TVs - the tail section of the plane, where we were, only had the screen at the front of the section whereas the other sections in Economy at least had a couple of monitors overhead.
I had the same type of plane flying on BA to Miami last year (.... AND I seem to always get the older Virgin planes too!)
I hope you do get one of the newer or one of the refitted planes, but I'd hate you to go expecting a plane fitted with seatback TVs, and feeling let down because you don't - it is luck of the draw. I'd suggest calling to request that your seats are together and if you need child meals order those in advance too and you can ask about the type of plane scheduled for your flight when you call.
I'll rummage for the phone number and post it.
I have to say, that apart from the seatback TV issue....... we went prepared as we knew we were on an older plane, we had good flights there and back and I never hesitate to fly with BA.

Thanks very much for your prompt replies. I'm much more reassured and can justify the fare to my DH, which we had to pay for IN FULL! Roll-on April 2003 :cool:

The last time i flew on BA was a couple of years ago to Chicago and had no problems at all (we even got upgraded to business class on the outward journey). we have since flown with virgin but personally BA seems to have the edge. As for your flights from manchester did you try and get a quote from us airways, when i tried for next febuary they were very reasonable.

Hi

How lucky to get an upgrade! When I was looking at BA for next Easter, the other airlines had not released their prices and BA was getting booked up fast as was with Virgin. Their prices on the net kept going up and up, so I booked with BA.

Anyway, I checked on Expedia and other sites and found that US Airways is now a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than what I paid but still had to connect in America. Some other airlines are MORE expensive! I think this is because it's over the Easter holidays. I would prefer BA for a couple of hundred more and they allowed me to prebook my seats. :earsgirl:

to answer your question about the domestic flights - BA have recently repriced all their domestic flights to compete with the cheaper airlines (Go, EasyJet etc) and so all the domestic prices have come down dramatically.

Bev

Hi Sue88UK!
We flew BA in April/May and had exactly the same experience as Shirley. The plane was a bit of a bucket, no seat-backs and the quality on the screens wasn’t very god. But the food was good and the staff was great – we’d definitely fly BA again!
As for flight prices – we flew Frankfurt – Gatwick – MCO for about 200 pounds (for two adults) LESS than if we’d just done Gatwick – MCO. I don’t know why – I didn’t question it, just booked it quick!

:wave:

Hi Sue88UK

We flew BA from NCL to LGW to MCO. While the flight to Gatwick wasnt that good...a bit cramped...we had a great plane for the Orlando leg with seat back tv's great service etc..

I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again in the future.

....... I've rummaged!! For your seat requests try 08457 664455 ( I also have 0870 5511155 down as a UK Flight Info number) but try the first number.

Just to let you know that from this summer BA will be flying the Orlando route with Boeing 777's only. They've all got seat back televisions and the seats are in blocks of 3 across - making it a little less crowded than the 747, not to mention that it's a much newer and quieter plane. I hope this helps. Have a nice trip.

We flew on a BA 777 to New York. I think they're fab - the cabin seems to be more spacious (which I think might be something to do with the positioning of the overhead lockers) and the seatback tvs are enormous!

Now that we have to accumulate 10 tier points <i>each</i> year to remain Virgin Flying Club Silver members, this news might just be enough to prompt me to switch my allegiance.

Originally posted by highflyer747b
Just to let you know that from this summer BA will be flying the Orlando route with Boeing 777's only. They've all got seat back televisions and the seats are in blocks of 3 across - making it a little less crowded than the 747, not to mention that it's a much newer and quieter plane. I hope this helps. Have a nice trip.

damn - wish i'd booked with ba for sept and not with virgin

:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter