Flights in August

Thanks again for all of your input. We've decided to switch around our days - Wed Aug 21-28 and we're looking at $106/150 direct and reasonable times that we don't need a hotel the night before/after.

Now talk to me about Southwest. We've never flown with them but I'm aware of the no assigned seating. There will be four of us - 2 adults, 2 children (13, 9). We don't qualify for family boarding. Should I spring for the early check-in? What are your experiences? We don't need all 4 together, but at least 2 and 2.

Thanks again for all of your input. We've decided to switch around our days - Wed Aug 21-28 and we're looking at $106/150 direct and reasonable times that we don't need a hotel the night before/after.

Now talk to me about Southwest. We've never flown with them but I'm aware of the no assigned seating. There will be four of us - 2 adults, 2 children (13, 9). We don't qualify for family boarding. Should I spring for the early check-in? What are your experiences? We don't need all 4 together, but at least 2 and 2.

I love SW, but I always buy early bird. That way you're automatically checked in and you don't have to worry about remembering to log in yourself 24 hours before your flight to get your boarding number.

If you didn't already pay for the room and they're willing to stay in one of the Allstar Resorts in what will be one of the WORST rooms, you might be surprised at how cheaply you can snag one of those right up till 12 hours before check-in! HONEST, 2 years ago when we got caught by a freezing rain storm Westjet let us change our flight, no charge, to one that got in close to midnight. I quickly checked the Disney site and got a room for $89.00 USD all-in. Would i want to stay in that room to do more than a quick sleep, absolutely NOT (sooooo tired & musty and miles from the check-in) but we rode a ME bus that had only one other couple on it, had no-one at the check-in counter and it is one of our most memorable Disney experiences, hands down! Just a thought -- we done this before as well and we were surprised at the cost compared to an airport hotel. Just plugged in your dates right now and this is what pops up
View attachment 380483View attachment 380484
Thanks! The extra night in a value resort was quite a bit higher than the airport hotel. I offered her an extra night at Pop ( her resort ) or to pay for the airport hotel and $100 usd in spending money and she went for that. We’ve stayed a night or two at each of the Allstars at least once at the start or end of a trip over the years. I don’t like to pay for a mod or deluxe when I’m getting in late or checking out early. They’ve ranged from passable to really cute .. generally depending how long it has been since a refurbishment. I’ve never had a bad experience though.

More than once, out of Buffalo, they announce that they will not be doing family boarding. Sometimes these Orlando flights are like Lord of the Flies lol. Personally I don't pay for the early bird check-in and have always been able to get a desirable seat but if its causing you any sort of anxiety then pony up the money for the peace of mind. If you do the online check-in right at the 24h mark you're usually at least in B group, but you have to be super diligent and not forget and check in halfway through the day (been there, done that, set phone alarms now lol)

With Orlando we just pay for the EBCI, just easier and with the large number of family groups we find it better to not have to think about it. Best bet without it is to check-in at the 24 hour mark, and at that point we are in the park(s) and I am not goingt to be thinking about check-in at that point. In the pre-kids days DW and I used SW a lot to Vegas and it was never realliy a concern checking in for 2 (that was back early to mid '00's)

For the cruises we do we normally just get EBCI for the return leg, that way we aren't worrying about it while on the ship on that last day.

We always do EBCI when we travel with the kids, the peace of mind is well worth the money so I don’t have to stress and play the “what if” game.

I always fly Southwest out of Buffalo (love them!). I've never paid for early boarding, I always set an alarm on my phone and have always gotten either A or B boarding groups. We've flown as a group of 3 or 4 for 8 flights and have always been able to sit together with no issues at all.I also missed the early sales thinking that it was supposed to be this week. I booked our return trip and saved $30 per person by flying one day later. So we decided to spend the night in a cheapy value that we got for $88 plus tax and it means a full extra day at the parks. I'm also hoping for a sale and then we can use the credit for our flight down. We're pretty easy with out flight time down, but the one we want is about $30 more than I like to pay.

just booked our flights with Southwest in mid Sept. Got an early flight there for $106 per person
I haven't booked the flight back yet , also for $106 but the latest flight leaves at 2PM - we always try to book a very late flight out (10-11PM) to get more out of the last day. Does anyone know if southwest might be adding later flights?

just booked our flights with Southwest in mid Sept. Got an early flight there for $106 per person
I haven't booked the flight back yet , also for $106 but the latest flight leaves at 2PM - we always try to book a very late flight out (10-11PM) to get more out of the last day. Does anyone know if southwest might be adding later flights?
I doubt they’ll add any later flights. The last few years they even cut back on the number of flights as soon as September hits. I like to do a late flight too, but I’ve taken to booking an extra night at a value and taking a morning or early afternoon flight.

I doubt they’ll add any later flights. The last few years they even cut back on the number of flights as soon as September hits. I like to do a late flight too, but I’ve taken to booking an extra night at a value and taking a morning or early afternoon flight.

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and booked the flights...glad I did, I just checked and the one flight I booked for $106 is now $175

I always fly Southwest out of Buffalo (love them!). I've never paid for early boarding, I always set an alarm on my phone and have always gotten either A or B boarding groups. We've flown as a group of 3 or 4 for 8 flights and have always been able to sit together with no issues at all.I also missed the early sales thinking that it was supposed to be this week. I booked our return trip and saved $30 per person by flying one day later. So we decided to spend the night in a cheapy value that we got for $88 plus tax and it means a full extra day at the parks. I'm also hoping for a sale and then we can use the credit for our flight down. We're pretty easy with out flight time down, but the one we want is about $30 more than I like to pay.

Thanks for this! I added an extra day, and split my stay (free dining sept15-24 and room discount from 24-26) and it only ended up costing an extra $125 to add the extra day! Im not going to tell my family, I will surprise them the day they think we are leaving :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter