Flights in August

MommyBG

Mouseketeer
I have tentatively booked a trip for August. We are planning on going the last week, coming back either Saturday or Sunday of Labour Day. Now I've started to look for flights and the prices seem really high. I realize that it's a long weekend but most flights out of either Toronto or Buffalo are in the $500+ range. Southwest hasn't released tickets for the end of August yet, so I will wait and see.

Anyone have experience with summer flights to Orlando? Are these prices "normal"? I guess I assumed that summer flights would be cheaper than Christmas and March Break...maybe not.

The last week returning the long weekend, pricing has always been too high for us to fly locally out of Pearson. Driven a few times and flown out of Cleveland and Detroit to make cost/time effective. Finding summer camps largely over a lot of Canadians travel south for better prices compared to even the week prior (a lot of US schools being back).

I have tentatively booked a trip for August. We are planning on going the last week, coming back either Saturday or Sunday of Labour Day. Now I've started to look for flights and the prices seem really high. I realize that it's a long weekend but most flights out of either Toronto or Buffalo are in the $500+ range. Southwest hasn't released tickets for the end of August yet, so I will wait and see.

Anyone have experience with summer flights to Orlando? Are these prices "normal"? I guess I assumed that summer flights would be cheaper than Christmas and March Break...maybe not.
Have you thought about DTW (Detroit). Between Spirit & Delta we pay between 200-300 USD for those dates. With the exchange though I guess that’s not far off from $500 CAD is it.

Southwest flights for August are out now, they were released earlier this week (not on Feb 7th as was advertised). We are flying August 17th and 24th and prices from Buffalo were $1200 cheaper than Air Canada out of Toronto for our party of 3

Southwest flights for August are out now, they were released earlier this week (not on Feb 7th as was advertised). We are flying August 17th and 24th and prices from Buffalo were $1200 cheaper than Air Canada out of Toronto for our party of 3

I was checking all week and didn't see anything - but I was also checking Frontier as well. Just put in my dates August 25-Sep 1. Ouch! Must be the long weekend that makes it popular. Dates before are much more manageable. Maybe we can change our dates.

CB28EFC8-0DD1-4BAF-8210-18A7E790A862.png
This is Delta’s economy so no seat selection. We fly Spirit all the time. We pay about $10 per person for seat selection each way and $35 each way for 1 checked bag.

Their personal item has extreme limitations & a heavy $ penalty if not adhered to. Their checked luggage is 40lbs limit and again major overage penalty.

They also do not participate in Resort luggage check so we take our luggage on ME to MCO when leaving.

Spirit charges for EVERYTHING. We buy water after TSA and bring snacks in our backpacks (personal item). You must also line up to print out a luggage tag and line up again to check your luggage.

All that being said, we will fly Spirit if it’s cheaper. They are professional and very efficient. DTW is a hub for them and there are many flights to MCO daily.

Not to scare you, but it’s better to know. We saw a family of 5 at DTW all with a rollie that was beyond the size of the free personal item. Yikes. $65 per rollie charged right there at the gate if they wanted to board. Any money they saved flying a budget line was gone.

Thanks for the advice. Last time we flew out of Buffalo on New Year's Eve for $350CAD with Delta, two years ago. I was expecting something the same this time. I'll keep checking and maybe play around with our dates.

I think I got around $400 round for FLL last year. We used our WestJet companion tickets so our average was closer to $325pp.

All I can say is keep hunting and when you find a price that YOU are comfortable with paying, go for it.

Frontiers schedule doesn't go past August 11 right now, personally I'd just keep checking for when they extend into your dates. Should be < $200 USD, likely closer to $100.

I booked Delta from Detroit for Aug 17- 24, and paid $290 CAD, have tickets from AM’s and $1000 worth of Disney gift cards that I add to my grocery cart any time I have enough PC optimum points to buy a $50 gift card, so it will be a relatively inexpensive trip. Staying at Pop Century my nights ( my kids favorite) and 2 nights Animal Kindom (my favorite)

Southwest released their flights a week early - myself and a friend (with different travel dates one of us early August one of us late August) each got our flights out of Buffalo $250 round trip.

Check the Southwest site now - if you see a price you like jump on it.

I was checking all week and didn't see anything - but I was also checking Frontier as well. Just put in my dates August 25-Sep 1. Ouch! Must be the long weekend that makes it popular. Dates before are much more manageable. Maybe we can change our dates.
My friend is going over the long weekend and got her dates for $250 - check the fare calendar tool they have, you may save a ton of money by going in a day early or coming home a day later.

Crap, I am hoping I didn't miss out on a deal. I had Feb 7 on my calendar for Southwest. Did anyone get a better price in August/Sept than $106 one way From Buf-Orlando? Last year we paid $79 each way at the same time of year, so I am apprehensive to book yet. Bright side is they are really nice flight times.

Crap, I am hoping I didn't miss out on a deal. I had Feb 7 on my calendar for Southwest. Did anyone get a better price in August/Sept than $106 one way From Buf-Orlando? Last year we paid $79 each way at the same time of year, so I am apprehensive to book yet. Bright side is they are really nice flight times.

We were on Southwest early on release day. There were a lot of the $106 - $114 prices available. Didn't see any of the super cheap sub-$100 ones sadly.

I helped my daughter and her boyfriend book Southwest for August 16th to 23rd. They are paying $620 Canadian after exchange for non stop which is very reasonable. If you can change dates it might be worth it. They had originally planned to leave on the 17th ( a Saturday ) but flights were very high so they switched to Friday evening. I offered to book her an airport hotel for her birthday gift and they will take the free shuttle over and back in the morning to get on aMagical Express. It saved her hundreds and she gets another full day for no extra cost . The only affordable Saturday flight was getting them in really late and still cost too much. We’ve done the airport hotel trick many many times to accommodate an earlier flight. It’s simple, they get a free breakfast, and can still use Magical Express the next day.

( and no we didn’t see less than $106. One of their flights was $106 an one was $120 something ,if I recall correctly)

if it’s a price you can live with at the times you want, I personally wouldn’t wait.

I booked the return Flight for $106 as we have more flexibility on the date going down then coming back. Hopefully there will be a sale sometime soon and I can take whatever credit I get on a price drop and apply it to the departing flight cost.

I helped my daughter and her boyfriend book Southwest for August 16th to 23rd. They are paying $620 Canadian after exchange for non stop which is very reasonable. If you can change dates it might be worth it. They had originally planned to leave on the 17th ( a Saturday ) but flights were very high so they switched to Friday evening. I offered to book her an airport hotel for her birthday gift and they will take the free shuttle over and back in the morning to get on aMagical Express. It saved her hundreds and she gets another full day for no extra cost . The only affordable Saturday flight was getting them in really late and still cost too much. We’ve done the airport hotel trick many many times to accommodate an earlier flight. It’s simple, they get a free breakfast, and can still use Magical Express the next day.

( and no we didn’t see less than $106. One of their flights was $106 an one was $120 something ,if I recall correctly)
If you didn't already pay for the room and they're willing to stay in one of the Allstar Resorts in what will be one of the WORST rooms, you might be surprised at how cheaply you can snag one of those right up till 12 hours before check-in! HONEST, 2 years ago when we got caught by a freezing rain storm Westjet let us change our flight, no charge, to one that got in close to midnight. I quickly checked the Disney site and got a room for $89.00 USD all-in. Would i want to stay in that room to do more than a quick sleep, absolutely NOT (sooooo tired & musty and miles from the check-in) but we rode a ME bus that had only one other couple on it, had no-one at the check-in counter and it is one of our most memorable Disney experiences, hands down! Just a thought -- we done this before as well and we were surprised at the cost compared to an airport hotel. Just plugged in your dates right now and this is what pops up
upload_2019-2-4_13-42-30.pngupload_2019-2-4_13-43-22.png

If you didn't already pay for the room and they're willing to stay in one of the Allstar Resorts in what will be one of the WORST rooms, you might be surprised at how cheaply you can snag one of those right up till 12 hours before check-in!
The cheap person in me is intrigued by this.

The pragmatic person in me is thinking that you’re not doing a great job at selling the room. :)

The cheap person in me is intrigued by this.

The pragmatic person in me is thinking that you’re not doing a great job at selling the room. :)
The times we've done it intentionally the rooms were fine! It was the time we booked the room at noon, left our house less than an hour later and checked in at 11:45 was the one with "super-special extra features" :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter