Flights from Michigan are high ;(

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Would like to go in November or December to Disney. Not during Thanksgiving or Christmas week - parks are too crowded.

:crazy2: I can't understand why the flights from Michigan are so high, and trying to find non- stops are even higher.
I've look at leaving out of Flint(FNT)17 miles away.
Detroit(DTW)60 miles away and even Chicago(MDW)maybe leave from Flint, but The prices :mad:
I would love to find something around $125, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Looks like we might have to drive :guilty:.
Do you think the prices will drop??
I wonder why SouthWest is longer having non-stops out of Flint??
I don't think I saw any out of Detroit either.

Our prices are high too, we are flying out of Indianapolis. Indianapolis had the best flights on opening day and then they shot up. We looked at Louisville and Cincinnati too.

We were able to book our flight down for $108 but the flight back hasn't been booked yet because it was around $232. There were I believe 4 non stops out of Indy, non out of Cincinnati and 1 or 2 out of Louisville.

We are thinking about driving back to Indiana after our trip or flying another airline.

Flight prices in general have been much higher over the last year or so. We regularly used to pay about $225 roundtrip from PHL to MCO without much effort. We went last month and I was online day and night to grab tix at $228. They went up to over $400 when I checked several times. If I could drive it in a "normal" day's drive I would. But unless we drive for about 18 hours, we have to stop somewhere overnight.

Would like to go in November or December to Disney. Not during Thanksgiving or Christmas week - parks are too crowded.

:crazy2: I can't understand why the flights from Michigan are so high, and trying to find non- stops are even higher.
Detroit(DTW)60 miles away and even Chicago(MDW)maybe leave from Flint, but The prices :mad:
I would love to find something around $125, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I live by Grand Rapids, and I feel your pain. I book flights down for $123 but don't have flights home yet. No airport has cheap flights unless you fly back on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

It sucks. But still it is much better, to me, than driving.

I booked Flint nonstop for $105 a couple weeks ago!! For December nonstop are only on Saturday's though through Southwest.

I live by Grand Rapids, and I feel your pain. I book flights down for $123 but don't have flights home yet. No airport has cheap flights unless you fly back on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

It sucks. But still it is much better, to me, than driving.

I was able to get a nonstop from MCO to GRR on a saturday for 115 when SW opened their dates for fall! theres hope!

I am sad they only seem to have 1 nonstop per week to/from MCO out of both GRR and FNT now. We have a layover in Chicago on our trip down which isn't ideal. But it was cheapest and shortest option for our trip.

I just checked for non-stops on SouthWest- Flint to Orlando on Saturday December 2 to Saturday December 9 for 2 round trip it's over $1,000 .

Last edited:

Spirit has non-stop flights out of Detroit for $99 each way. Also, if you consider leaving out of Toledo check out Allegiant Airlines. They usually have really good deals into Sanford which is not too far from Orlando.

Spirit has non-stop flights out of Detroit for $99 each way. Also, if you consider leaving out of Toledo check out Allegiant Airlines. They usually have really good deals into Sanford which is not too far from Orlando.

I'm going to check Spirit, but driving 2-2 1/2 hours just to save $ is not worth it let alone the airport parking fees.

Just checked Spirit found flights for 2 people round trip under $400!!!

Last edited:
I agree. I have taveled down to WDW every year since 2009 and I leave from Detroit Metro. They have always had 4-5 non stop flights per carrier. Now it is down to 2 or less a day. In the past we have always received lower cost fares because we like to travel in the down time (February or Early November). I can't believe the cost this year. It will cost me $400. each for my wife and myself more this year than last, and that's with the fuel costs still going down. What the heck. Have to pay the price because I'm not spending two days in a car each way.

I just started looking the week before thankgiving. For once I am finding my best deal out of Toledo vs Detroit, Lansing or Ft. Wayne on American. I think they are really trying to push there new flights to Charlotte. Toledo would be great as its only a 45 min drive vs. about 1.5 hrs to the other three.

Edit: i just remembered I had $160 eCredit from Delta...So I have booked a flight down from Detroit on friday Nov 11 th for $11.00 now I just have to buy a return flight!!!

Last edited:

I just checked & saw a $98 flight from Detroit to Orlando on SWA on Saturday, November 4th.

Well after I tried to use my Delta eCredit, it was rejected, seems it expires the end of next month. So I went ahead and booked a flight from Toledo, for $337.00 round trip on AA. Until now Toledo only had Agilent twice a week to Sanford or very expensive AA connections thru ORD. Now with CLT as a connection option this is perfect for me, As Toledo and Ft. Wayne are my two closest airports. But DTW usually won on price. Now I have the convienence of flying thru a small 3 gate airport, with lots of parking and a direct connection to the Turnpike. Now I just have to add a night onto the end of my PoP reservation as my return flight is at 6:45 Sunday and my check out is Saturday. I wonder if I can stay in the park till close and sit in the PoP lobby till my DME bus at around 3:45

Our prices are high too, we are flying out of Indianapolis. Indianapolis had the best flights on opening day and then they shot up. We looked at Louisville and Cincinnati too.

We were able to book our flight down for $108 but the flight back hasn't been booked yet because it was around $232. There were I believe 4 non stops out of Indy, non out of Cincinnati and 1 or 2 out of Louisville.

We are thinking about driving back to Indiana after our trip or flying another airline.
I'm like you, I like within an hour of Indy, Dayton, and Cincy. I decided on Delta out of Cincy since they had non stop and (at the time) had the cheapest rates.

We're paying $278 each on SWA for our November flights, but $245 each on our flights for next month's trip. $245 is sort of the outer limits of what I think is a reasonable fare. I guess now if we can stay under $300 we are doing well, especially from what I've been hearing from others. :rolleyes: It was difficult to find non-stop flights too, but we ultimately did.

20 minutes from Lexington, 55 from Cincy, an hour from Louisville. Outside of Frontier/allegiant, which we won't fly, the prices are crazy high this year. High to the point that we are likely driving. I've even opened the radius to include Indy(found great prices back, ugly going down) and Columbus(good prices down, high back). We're even driven 6 hours to Atlanta and caught $49 flights from there to cut the drive in half, but that isn't even an option.

We have done nonstop from Louisville on SW, those flights are over $500 RT and that's a Wed-Tues. Delta NS from Cincinnati is running $262, but that is $1050 for 4 of us. Last fall SW added flights from Louisville, doesn't look like that is happening this year. $125 per trip is the upper end of the range. Even flying into Tampa like last time is crazy.

I'm staying patient, but the patience is wearing thin. Really don't want to drive, but will if we need to.

We are flying Delta out of DTW in October and the prices were high, and then add in the "great" exchange rate for us Canadians. I budgeted $800 for our flight round trip, but we were able to get them for just shy of $700, and that was in Canadian. I used Flighthub to find my flights and found they always had the cheapest fares. We are just in Basic Economy, so who knows if we will be together. The nice thing with Delta is you can bring on a carry-on and a personal item. Saves us on baggage fees since we only have to check one bag (I am an over packer...I hate being without anything!!).

20 minutes from Lexington, 55 from Cincy, an hour from Louisville. Outside of Frontier/allegiant, which we won't fly, the prices are crazy high this year. High to the point that we are likely driving. I've even opened the radius to include Indy(found great prices back, ugly going down) and Columbus(good prices down, high back). We're even driven 6 hours to Atlanta and caught $49 flights from there to cut the drive in half, but that isn't even an option.

We have done nonstop from Louisville on SW, those flights are over $500 RT and that's a Wed-Tues. Delta NS from Cincinnati is running $262, but that is $1050 for 4 of us. Last fall SW added flights from Louisville, doesn't look like that is happening this year. $125 per trip is the upper end of the range. Even flying into Tampa like last time is crazy.

I'm staying patient, but the patience is wearing thin. Really don't want to drive, but will if we need to.

Right there with ya! Looking more and more like we're driving this December. :scared:

SWA this morning is sitting at $662 RT N/S out of Louisville. If I wanted the cheapest price (2 stops--no thanks!), it is $397.:crazy:

I ended up booking Allegiant to get one person home. They are flying back a few days ahead of us, on Sunday, and the prices for a Sunday flight are horrible! Allegiant was $163 when Southwest was over $300 one way. The rest of us are coming home on Tuesday and paid $153 each for that flight. Ridiculous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!