Flight pricing question, here are my numbers

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So for my dates of December 4th- departure and December 9th- return (these are my best guess of my dates) I am seeing the price of $670 for a round trip, non stop flight from Atlanta to San Diego in Comfort class. These are pretty much the same prices I am seeing when I play similar dates six, seven and eight weeks out from today. Do you think it is safe to say that the tickets would not be going down in price much, if any at all?

I know they always say purchase your tickets like around eight weeks out? But with an early December date, that could be considered holiday travel or not? I know they have generally come down about $30 or so on some Tuesdays, so I do know what day is generally best to buy them. But that is about it, lol.

I know they always say purchase your tickets like around eight weeks out? But with an early December date, that could be considered holiday travel or not? I know they have generally come down about $30 or so on some Tuesdays, so I do know what day is generally best to buy them. But that is about it, lol.
There is absolutely, positively, 100% no way for anyone to know. Nada. Zilch. People can guess, but nobody knows.

The "eight week rule" is an AVERAGE. No one can say "the route from Atlanta to San Diego (pick any two cities) will be cheapest 8 weeks out". I've gotten plane tickets ~310 days out, and tracked them, and they never got lower than what I purchased. I've gotten plane tickets to Europe for 1/2 what they were normally going for during an unpublished 2 day sale.

As soon as I know when and where I'm going, I'll start watching airfare. I'll use google flights as well as check on my own periodically. I'll be able to judge when I see a "jump on it now" price. The fact that you're seeing the same pricing 8 weeks from now vs the beginning of December really means nothing. Prices can go up, they can go down, they can stay the same.

Personally if I'm planning a trip, there is no way I could wait until 8 weeks out unless driving was an option.

There is absolutely, positively, 100% no way for anyone to know. Nada. Zilch. People can guess, but nobody knows.

The "eight week rule" is an AVERAGE. No one can say "the route from Atlanta to San Diego (pick any two cities) will be cheapest 8 weeks out". I've gotten plane tickets ~310 days out, and tracked them, and they never got lower than what I purchased. I've gotten plane tickets to Europe for 1/2 what they were normally going for during an unpublished 2 day sale.

As soon as I know when and where I'm going, I'll start watching airfare. I'll use google flights as well as check on my own periodically. I'll be able to judge when I see a "jump on it now" price. The fact that you're seeing the same pricing 8 weeks from now vs the beginning of December really means nothing. Prices can go up, they can go down, they can stay the same.

Personally if I'm planning a trip, there is no way I could wait until 8 weeks out unless driving was an option.
That is what I am doing, tracking the prices.

Have you used one of the airfare tracking apps?
They can give as good advice as anyone. Their algorithms track trends for your desired route and it will tell you what they expect. It's all a guess but theirs is as educated a guess as there is.
That's what I do, or just buy when you see a price you like and stop looking.

They fluctuate so much it's hard to know. Also make sure you are checking surrounding airports on either end. I know sometimes if I'm willing to drive an extra 45 minutes to a different airport I can save a significant amount of money.

Well December 4th-10th the tickets are like $65 cheaper for both of us combined. But then I would have to fork over another $100 or more for a hotel room for another night.:headache:

You can't know 100% for sure, but all of those xx weeks out rules went out the window a few years ago for major carriers. Prices 99% of the time only every go up - if you're comfortable with the price, buy it now. I've posted elsewhere as to why (it involves IBM licensing fees) but this is how fare buckets work.

I am making an assumption that you are looking at Delta since you mentioned non stop from Atlanta. I went to the delta website and played around using your dates and comfort. I found the following that to me looks like a good price and schedule
Dec 4 flight leaves San Diego at 6:25 AM lands at Minneapolis/St Paul at 12:04 PM 1 hour 1 minute layover Flight leaves MSP at 1:05 PM and lands at MCO at 5:24 PM On the 9th flight leaves MCO at 10:15 AM lands at LAX at 12: 49 PM 2 hour 26 Minute layover Flight leaves LAX at 3:15 PM and lands at SAN at 4:08 PM cost $572 including all taxes.
I was also able to find the same price going through both JFK or ATL though on the return it means that your catching the 7 or 7:25 AM Flight from MCO. Having done that I do not recommend it because it is miserable having Bell Services knock on your door at 3:15 AM in order to take you and your bags to the main lobby in order for you to get on the ME bus. (No I did not schedule that flight time my sister did and after that I vowed never again even if it ends up costing me more money).
When I do a search for myself coming from an upper rocky mountain state that sometimes gets considered to be in the Northwest I put the filter in for 1 layover stop so for me it ends up being a choice between MSP and SLC. Then I either sort by price, departure or arrival. Depending on what is more important and often I do one of them and then the other. For the same dates for me the cost of the same type of seat works out to being 644.50 per person.

I am making an assumption that you are looking at Delta since you mentioned non stop from Atlanta. I went to the delta website and played around using your dates and comfort. I found the following that to me looks like a good price and schedule
Dec 4 flight leaves San Diego at 6:25 AM lands at Minneapolis/St Paul at 12:04 PM 1 hour 1 minute layover Flight leaves MSP at 1:05 PM and lands at MCO at 5:24 PM On the 9th flight leaves MCO at 10:15 AM lands at LAX at 12: 49 PM 2 hour 26 Minute layover Flight leaves LAX at 3:15 PM and lands at SAN at 4:08 PM cost $572 including all taxes.
I was also able to find the same price going through both JFK or ATL though on the return it means that your catching the 7 or 7:25 AM Flight from MCO. Having done that I do not recommend it because it is miserable having Bell Services knock on your door at 3:15 AM in order to take you and your bags to the main lobby in order for you to get on the ME bus. (No I did not schedule that flight time my sister did and after that I vowed never again even if it ends up costing me more money).
When I do a search for myself coming from an upper rocky mountain state that sometimes gets considered to be in the Northwest I put the filter in for 1 layover stop so for me it ends up being a choice between MSP and SLC. Then I either sort by price, departure or arrival. Depending on what is more important and often I do one of them and then the other. For the same dates for me the cost of the same type of seat works out to being 644.50 per person.
Ya, we won't fly anything but non stop.

I will say, for someone who has had a extreme fear of flying, and never flew until it was a no choice moment, it is kinda nice to live 1.5 hours away from Atlanta now.

Ya, we won't fly anything but non stop.
Why's that? You'd totally change your mind if you knew how easy it is to fly out of home. We had a flight at 12:30 yesterday. Brought carry on only this short trip. We pulled up to the airport at 11:45 and through security before 12:00. Beats any drive to Atlanta, parking, trek through security and so forth. And when flying West, just as about the same cost. When flying to Orlando it's close when you factor in the added travel costs and time.

Why's that? You'd totally change your mind if you knew how easy it is to fly out of home. We had a flight at 12:30 yesterday. Brought carry on only this short trip. We pulled up to the airport at 11:45 and through security before 12:00. Beats any drive to Atlanta, parking, trek through security and so forth. And when flying West, just as about the same cost. When flying to Orlando it's close when you factor in the added travel costs and time.
Give me a few minutes, I will look up the pricing. I know Chattanooga would be quicker, easier, simpler but my husband won't do it. It has to be non stop, all the way for him. But I am going to look at pricing. I have to get off of here and head up to Hamilton Place in a few.

You are right, it is like 616 verses 667 through Chattanooga. Uggggghhhhhhh, :laughing::laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!