Flight of Passage - Some Good News

StratMan

Nobody Important
I just got back and want to report that Flight of Passage was a little more accessible than I expected. My family had Fast Passes for our two AK days so we weren't too worried about standby times, but I kept a close eye on them.

On Wednesday 4/18 at about 2pm (long after we rode with Fast Passes), the posted wait time was only 80 minutes. We figured that was too good to pass up so we got in line. We only waited about an hour before we got into the pre-show. Unfortunately, when we were in the second pre-show room with glasses in hand, the entire building had to be evacuated due to a "reported fire emergency" and the ride was shut down for hours. I don't think I'm ready to talk about that part yet, so I'll move on.

The point is that the wait was actually very reasonable that afternoon. That was obviously kind of fluky but we were back there two days later and the wait time briefly dipped to 90 minutes - again in the early afternoon. So, maybe there's hope for folks without Fast Passes. But wait, there's more.

Rope Drop Ride Report: On Friday 4/20, we arrived at the gates at about 8:05 for a 9:00 opening. We were not at the front of the crowd by any stretch, but we still finished the ride by 9:20.

Here's hoping that lots of you have similar experiences (except for the fire alarm part).

I will be there Thursday and since we stay off site we have no FPs. I hope those times continue.

Did you have a chance to check out the wait times in the evening?

There have been several recent reports of less than 30 minute actual waits closer to closing time. We’ll be there in a few weeks and are hoping to be able to ride twice in the last 45 or so minutes of operation.

I did on Wednesday but that night was pretty messed up because of the long ride closure. It was shut down for about 4 hours and didn't open up again until around 7:30. The posted wait time was immediately 110 minutes and it never got significantly shorter. Friday was our departure day so we were gone well before closing.

I did on Wednesday but that night was pretty messed up because of the long ride closure. It was shut down for about 4 hours and didn't open up again until around 7:30. The posted wait time was immediately 110 minutes and it never got significantly shorter. Friday was our departure day so we were gone well before closing.

I just checked the stats from Wednesday on Touring Plans. About a half hour before close, the posted wait was 120 and the reported actual wait was 31 minutes. That seems reasonable as the posted waits are often around 4 times the actual wait during the last hour of the day.

I’m just glad that most guests are still flocking to rope drop and leaving the short lines to the evening.

Thanks for the report.

We were able to score FPs at around 5:30-6 last Sunday (for 7pmish). So, they're out there! I had all but given up hope but refreshed a few times while we were eating dinner and there they were! When we walked out of the ride around 8, the line was down to 50 minutes (it had rained that afternoon and the park had cleared out quite a bit). We would have gone on it again if my 8 year old had wanted to but after being so excited to ride, it was a bit intense for her. :)

We were there on Tuesday 4/17 and there was a fire emergency that day too. Interesting. Is that happening a lot?

We could only get a Na’vi FP so we arrived at 7:35 and we were off the ride by 9:05. They were clearly taking people early because we were not the first in line. By the time we made it to the bridge I’d say we were 3/4 of the way back. I’d say the key was arriving before the buses. The first bus load arrived around 8.

ETA - this was a 4/10 day per touring plans. There was an evening DVC event so the park closed at 8:30 so I think people were scared away.

My daughter got in standby line Friday April 20 at 10:30am, posted wait time was 180 minutes. She texted me from the last room at 11:51. About 90 minutes...not 180 minutes.

Yes they have had ongoing fire alarm problems since opening

I know we dropped out FP for 7:40 today about 4:00 this afternoon, so does happen. Rare in sure

There have been several recent reports of less than 30 minute actual waits closer to closing time. We’ll be there in a few weeks and are hoping to be able to ride twice in the last 45 or so minutes of operation.

I’d give yourself at least at hour if not 90 minutes if you want to ride twice. Remember that once you hit the preshow area, it can still be about 20 minutes until you’re off the ride and back outside so even if the actual wait is only 30-45 minutes (which is about as good as you’ll likely get), you may still need an hour to get back to the line entrance by closing.

I’d give yourself at least at hour if not 90 minutes if you want to ride twice. Remember that once you hit the preshow area, it can still be about 20 minutes until you’re off the ride and back outside so even if the actual wait is only 30-45 minutes (which is about as good as you’ll likely get), you may still need an hour to get back to the line entrance by closing.

Thanks for the info, but I really don't think it will take anywhere near 60-90 minutes to ride twice later in the evening. I checked the Touring Plans stats from last night just for an example. Shortly before 9 pm, the posted wait for FoP was 25 minutes and the actual reported wait was 16 minutes. Those seem very reasonable to me.

I can't believe a 60-90 minute wait for this ride is a good one. :faint: Maybe I'll understand once I ride it? LOL.

Thanks for the info, but I really don't think it will take anywhere near 60-90 minutes to ride twice later in the evening. I checked the Touring Plans stats from last night just for an example. Shortly before 9 pm, the posted wait for FoP was 25 minutes and the actual reported wait was 16 minutes. Those seem very reasonable to me.

Isn't the TP wait time just how long it takes from entering the cue until you get on the ride? And does it include the pre-show with FoP? I agree with you that end of night can be a great time to ride, but think riding FoP twice in 45 min seems like a pretty big stretch. The quickest we have ever done it with a FP is about 30 min from entering que to exiting ride.

Yes - that was last night. And when I was there last month and got on line at 8:45 the wait was posted at 80 and took 40 (but was about 1 hour until we got off). Obviously do what you want but I'd bet if you got online at 8:20 on a 9pm closing day you're going to be really risking not getting back to the front of the line by 9pm. At best - saying it won't take "anywhere near 60 minutes" to ride twice standby at any time of day is overly optimistic.

Isn't the TP wait time just how long it takes from entering the cue until you get on the ride? And does it include the pre-show with FoP? I agree with you that end of night can be a great time to ride, but think riding FoP twice in 45 min seems like a pretty big stretch. The quickest we have ever done it with a FP is about 30 min from entering que to exiting ride.

It doesn't seem like a stretch at all. If the park closes at 10 and I get in line at 9:15 for the first ride, I just need to be out and back in line by 9:59 for the 2nd ride. Based on recent wait times, I should have plenty of time.

Yes - that was last night. And when I was there last month and got on line at 8:45 the wait was posted at 80 and took 40 (but was about 1 hour until we got off). Obviously do what you want but I'd bet if you got online at 8:20 on a 9pm closing day you're going to be really risking not getting back to the front of the line by 9pm. At best - saying it won't take "anywhere near 60 minutes" to ride twice standby at any time of day is overly optimistic.

It's just a fun challenge that we like to do in the parks and there's no harm if it fails. The main point is that the lines are significantly shorter at night and things can be accomplished that can't be done in the morning, no matter how early you arrive.

Other successful challenges over the years have been:
7 Dwarfs Mine Train twice in 30 minutes (accomplished during opening week in 2014)
Space Mountain 4 times in 35 minutes (took a little bit of running to make the last ride)
Toy Story Mania 4 times in an hour (and still made it to Fantasmic on time)
Tower of Terror 13 times in 2 hours (won't be doing that one again)

I'm thinking about stretching the AK challenge to an hour, but I'm going to add a ride on Navi between the two rides on FoP. I think we can start at 9, get all of this done, then make it to the 10:30 RoL show on time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter