Flight of Passage question

For FOP, watch your guide once you are "connected"...they are ahead of you and also on a Banshee. When you see them do something, be ready to do a similar action. That will help you get less surprised by the movements. FOP is so immersive, it's amazing. I would not miss it. If you begin to worry about movement, just glance to the right or left and see you are sitting still with a bunch of other riders in a theater and that will help. :)

I get extremely sick on Star Tours (and the old Body Wars ride was even worse)......

My entire family got sick on this back in 1996, I still remember the sick feeling!
To the OP, I also get sick on Star Tours but I am fine on FoP. Like other have said it is a smother ride so that’s may be why I am better with it.

I can't do Star Tours. I am fine with Soarin
There were a couple of places with side to side motion on FOP that bothered me a little, but nothing too bad. I would not hesitate to ride again.

I get motion sick- close my eyes on most simulators- thinking mostly st Universal. But yes on Star tours too.
I had no problem on FOP. It was so beautiful I couldn’t stop watching. And I ride it twice

My dad gets sick on carousels and will not even attempt Mission: Space. He's ridden FOP multiple times, though he did say he closes his eyes for a lot of it.

I did FoP the first time and got a little queasy. Had fun and wouldn't say that it affected my enjoyment of the ride - loved it. Went back a few hours later and this time a little more nauseous. Both times felt better within 5 minutes. Wouldn't go back (that day) for a third trip but, will definitely try it again. No problems with Star Tours but, do get a little nauseous going backwards, like on EE.

May try dramamine next time - thanks for the tips.

What made FOP manageable for me, even though I did have to close my eyes a few times, was the wind on my face. When I planned our trip, I made sure FOP was one of the last things we did for the day in case I really felt badly after it. I am so glad I did it and would ride it again the next time we go back.

I've done FOP all three levels and found that the bottom level bothers me. The other two are just fine and I try to ride it as much as possible. For any other ride that causes motion sickness I use ginger chews. They seem to help a great deal. Although I still can't see to deal with Space Mountain. And I am glad Body Wars in long gone. That ride put me in a full body sweat!

I, too, suffer from motion-sickness. To rank FoP versus some other intense rides:
THE WORST: mission SPACE (original version)
PRETTY BAD: Star Tours (and I am a HUGE SW fan!)
BAD: Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Flight of Passage (the FIRST time I rode it)
Once I rode FoP for the second time and knew what to expect, it was AWESOME!! I even leaned forward to look up at the other "levels" of the ride...that was a cool experience! Don't get me wrong, this ride is intense, but if you become "a part of the Banchee",you really feel like you are flying. On your first ride, I would DEFINITELY take either Dramamine or any other generic with the same ingredients. Sea Bands will NOT help! Don't miss out on this amazing ride!!

I feel like FOP is more similar in motion style to Soarin than ST. It does have one steep dive that is like every 80's IMAX movie made. If you can handle those and Soarin it's probably worth a shot. Also being much newer than ST the offset on the 3D is probably more precise (that is something that will get some people).

I can't do Star Tours. I can do Soarin', but only once, not back to back. On our last trip, I used Sea Bands and decided to give FoP a shot! We RD, and I was "okay" after my first ride. I felt a little off balance, but nothing too concerning. Anyway, we also had early morning FPs for FoP. And since, I loved it so much and the rest of my group was wanting to do their second ride, I decided to go ahead and ride it again. That was a mistake. I was queasy for the rest of the day. My lesson learned...enjoy it thoroughly the first ride and only do it once. For what it is worth to you in comparing, my motion sickness is caused by simulator rides. It is something with my vision. I can do roller coasters no problem. As already mentioned, I did use the follow the banshee approach on my first ride. On my second ride I may have tried to look around too much.

Reading this thread with much interest. I'm going to Disney in about 2 weeks. I can never predict my motion sickness. I can say:

Star Tours: AWFUL
Body Wars: AWFUL
Dinosaur: Not one iota of motion sickness
RnR: The first loop makes me sick immediately.
BTMR: Feel fine
Expedition Everest: Backwards ride bothers me

I've never tried Soarin' or Mission Space.

Now as for Dramamine and the others--took them years ago and they make me feel kind of yucky when I'm on them so I never thought the trade off was worth it. Does anyone else feel the side effects of the meds?

My dad gets super motion sick, but hasn't had an issue with FoP. That said, he won't ride ST and turned green on Body Wars when I was a kid...

I also feel sick after star tour and mission space. I LOVE SOARIN but that too also makes my stomach turn sometimes. I went on FOP and anytime I started to feel dizzy I would just close my eyes and with the wind blowing in my face it really made me feel better. I was VERY hesitant about going on FOP but I am glad I did. I would go on again!

Just got back from a week at Disney.

Soarin - No problem for me, this is a nice smooth ride as long as you do not mind heights.

FOP- No problems. As mentioned above there is a continual stream of air on your face plus misting water which seems to mitigate the effects of motion sickness. This ride is closest to Soarin with some additional vibration and such from the Banshee.

Star Tours - This one always gets me sick to the point I am counting the seconds for it to end.

Mission to Mars Intense side -- Got me so sick I vowed never to ride it again. The new less intense side is pretty easy though.

Give it a try.

I am somewhat sensitive to motion (I felt a little ill after FJ at Universal, even with dramamine, and cannot get near orange level for Mission space), but feel fine on FoP. My dad said he felt a little queasy after FoP.

I am curious as to what motion sickness meds work best and does it make you drowsy?
There are two Dramamine formulas: regular and non-drowsy
Bonine is Meclazine 25mg
Dramamine non-drowsy is meclazine 25mg
Dramamine original is Dimenhydrinate 50mg

I prefer Bonine. It doesn’t make me sleepy and draggy all day. I would ask your doctor or pharmacist which they recommends based on what’s other meds you are on.

You do have to take it ahead of time. It is not as effective after the fact. There are also multiple formulations of Dramamine and the dosing is different. Some you repeat and one is 24 hours.

Some people use ginger anDramamine has a natural formulation that is ginger. Ginger doesn’t touch my needs.

I get car and sea sick on small boats. Rockin Roller coaster was the longest and most excruciating 2 minutes of my life. I was done for hours. I would rather give birth again than go near it or Star Tours.

Will Be taking my bottle of Bonine with me in Oct and taking a dose each morning.

I take Bonine each park day and that makes a huge difference. I still can’t do Star Tours but I had no issue with FoP!

I do get motion sickness on Star Tours and Mission Space....won’t even ride them any more. FOA is fantastic! Do not hesitate! You will enjoy it. If you are worried take some all natural Dramamine. It is ginger based. Worked great on our last cruise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!