Flight of Passage - how "rough" is the ride

Sadly I will not be riding this ever again after our stay this week. It made me horribly motion sick even with my prescription patch. I just kept praying it would end...and the piped in smells made it even worse.

I can ride EVERYTHING ELSE at Disney except for the orange side of mission space. I was so disappointed in FOP.

It's not jerky. Even the quick movements are smooth. However the seat configuration may not be the best for a hurt back.

I just got back from a trip and rode FoP for the first time. Agree it didn't feel terribly jerky but I will agree it's one that can cause motion sickness. I had to close my eyes a couple of times and that helped. A year or two ago I had to go on Star Tours so my son could, the cm advised me to just look at the floor and that helped a lot. It's my understanding that motion sickness comes from your feelings of movement not correlating with what your eyes are seeing. Soaring for some reason doesn't cause me any motion issues at all, Star Tours definitely does and FoP I found somewhere between the two.

My wife suffers from motion sickness... to the point where I can't ever drive on a longer trip. Star Tours and Mission Space are too much for her, however she was able to handle FoP and loved it! Honestly you'll never know unless you try. Have fun- it's an incredible attraction

If you rode soarin' before it's very comparable. If you haven't done soarin and are going to epcot, I would do that one before trying FOP.

I don't really think you can compare BTMRR and SM to FOP. They really aren't alike.

Hi, just got back from Disney and Universal. Had a great time. I suffer from motion sickness and also feel a lot of anxiety on rides that find me closed in a room (like star tours) or strapped in a seat (like many simulators). Having read maybe too much about FOP, even while making the line, I decide to try it, since I also read the ride was so superb. My anxiety level while I was about to enter the room was 9/10. And when the back restrain came up and I was "inmobilized" in the "banshee" it went to 10/10. I was like "why am I here, get me out". Sweating, it was horrible. But everything in my head. I took a deep breath and thougth "Im in Disney, I will have a beer next to this, and then continue with VACATIONS!! Enjoy!"
And FOP started .... then my problems were not the claustrophobia anymore but if I would have MS, or even faint. But I applied something I read in one of these threads, that actually helped a lot! First I let go of everything and said to myself "just fly". Sounds crazy, don't? But I worked. And second I said to myself "this banshee will take care of me, I'm in safe hands!!!" Even crazier, dont? but it helped A LOT! Since I was in a ride that really makes you wonder if you are really flying or not, why could'nt I think other crazy things that could help me?
Believe me those worked. And I had the most wonderful time I haven't had in a long time. Go, have this experience. Is something you cannot describe in words. It's beautiful, actually my eyes were sort of tearing, both from the ride, and also from the "courage" to let go stupid fears and do it.
Trust, let it go, trust you banshee, and enjoy the best ride in Orlando, and one of the best in the world!
:)

It’s not jerky at all and I hate jerky rides! It’s very smooth. Like others have said, it feels like Soarin but your body is just in a different position.

Hi, just got back from Disney and Universal. Had a great time. I suffer from motion sickness and also feel a lot of anxiety on rides that find me closed in a room (like star tours) or strapped in a seat (like many simulators). Having read maybe too much about FOP, even while making the line, I decide to try it, since I also read the ride was so superb. My anxiety level while I was about to enter the room was 9/10. And when the back restrain came up and I was "inmobilized" in the "banshee" it went to 10/10. I was like "why am I here, get me out". Sweating, it was horrible. But everything in my head. I took a deep breath and thougth "Im in Disney, I will have a beer next to this, and then continue with VACATIONS!! Enjoy!"
And FOP started .... then my problems were not the claustrophobia anymore but if I would have MS, or even faint. But I applied something I read in one of these threads, that actually helped a lot! First I let go of everything and said to myself "just fly". Sounds crazy, don't? But I worked. And second I said to myself "this banshee will take care of me, I'm in safe hands!!!" Even crazier, dont? but it helped A LOT! Since I was in a ride that really makes you wonder if you are really flying or not, why could'nt I think other crazy things that could help me?
Believe me those worked. And I had the most wonderful time I haven't had in a long time. Go, have this experience. Is something you cannot describe in words. It's beautiful, actually my eyes were sort of tearing, both from the ride, and also from the "courage" to let go stupid fears and do it.
Trust, let it go, trust you banshee, and enjoy the best ride in Orlando, and one of the best in the world!
:)

Glad you were able to ride it. It is truely an amazing ride. Great descriptions!

Regarding the motion sickness...my DH suffers from really bad vertigo and he avoids rides that go in faster circles, any kind of loops or being upside down and he doesn’t like drops. He even avoids elevators when he can. He also had back surgery 2 yrs ago so is careful about jerky rides. The only rides at Disney he doesn’t ride are Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller coaster, teacups and that spinning one in Dinoland. He had no problem at all on FOP. For some reason the virtual type rides like those don’t bother him as much as the ones listed above do. He’s even ok on most of the similar rides at Universal.

I think motion sickness is very specific to the person though. Honestly you really need to try it to be sure!

It’s so strange how different rides affect people. I can do coasters all day, but 3D gets me. I can do star tours and only feel a little sick at the end, but FoP made me feel awful. Oddly enough Soarin doesn’t affect me at all. I can’t do Tower of terror either, something about the up and down.

I'm so torn in this!! I LOVE EE, Big Thunder, any of the coasters, dont have any issues with Soarin, dont have car sickness or anything like that...BUT, years ago I went on this simple screen raft ride at Disney quest and that began my "visual" ride sickness. Any "rides" that are screen based make me nauseous. I loathed Universal because all their rides are screen-based. Loved the HP part but was queasy from the get go and even minions and Simpsons made me sick after that, ruined HOURS of park time bc I stay sick for a while. Dont know why Soarin doesn't bother me at all but we have a short 2 park day anniversary trip in Sept and I would hate to ruin any of our park time since we have such little time. Even doing it at the end of the day, I'm not really interested in ruining one of our evenings either. So I guess I answered my own question, but I'm bummed not to at least do it once!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts