Flight of Passage - how "rough" is the ride

I rode it for the first time last week. It's relatively smooth, not much in the way of jarring movements but if you suffer from even a small amount of motion sickness then this is not a good ride for it. It was the only ride that made me feel awful afterwards and I was actually a bit disappointed with it too. I know I'm in the minority but I wouldn't ride it again. The theming however is beautiful and I think it's worth trying it at least once.
Oh wait, Star Tours made me feel worse than Flight of Passage but only just. I think it has something to do with the 3D glasses too.

1. Also haven't tried FOP and have question about it. I've been on Star Tours and did not like it because of the physical movements and even with my eyes closed it was bad. I do like Soarin, but it took me a few times to keep my eyes open. My question is, how much physical movement does FOP have? Can closing my eyes help if I don't want to feel the dips?

1. Also haven't tried FOP and have question about it. I've been on Star Tours and did not like it because of the physical movements and even with my eyes closed it was bad. I do like Soarin, but it took me a few times to keep my eyes open. My question is, how much physical movement does FOP have? Can closing my eyes help if I don't want to feel the dips?
The ride does dip up and down roughly 3-5 feet and it tilts side to side a bit. Though I will say most people seem to not realize how much the ride does physically move, because it is so well synced to the screen. So I'm not sure if closing your eyes would help or not.

The ride does dip up and down roughly 3-5 feet and it tilts side to side a bit. Though I will say most people seem to not realize how much the ride does physically move, because it is so well synced to the screen. So I'm not sure if closing your eyes would help or not.
Thank you for your post

I do not like drops of any kind won’t go on any coasters or even POC but really enjoyed this ride. Whenever there was a dip that felt like a drop I would look at the people you could see in the other room and that helped. I did not find it jerky at all.

I tried closing my eyes a few times and it was still bad. You are very much in the screen, even more so than Soarin and Star Tours. I'm glad I did it once though, it's truly a spectacular ride but I just can't do it again :(

Wondering how much movement is on the Flight of Passage ride as I tend to avoid rides with a lot of jerky type movements (like Big Thunder or Space Mountain) --had back issues years ago and my back gets cranky on jerky type rides.

Thanks so much for the help!

This past June, I rode Space Mountain and vowed it was the last. Not fun anymore and it made my body hurt. We rode FOP three times and I'd have ridden it three more. That said, I don't have issues at all with Big Thunder, so I don't know if that helps you or not.

I didn't find FoP at all jerky. It is absolutely smooth, and does not bother my back at all. I wish I could say the same thing about Big Thunder, easily one of my favorite rides, and it kills my back.

I think there're all kinds of motion sickness. For example, I can't read while riding in a car. That makes me motion sick. And I can't do anything that spins me around and around and around--total motion sickness there, and hours to recover. I dislike being jerked around on a ride, but I can't really say it makes me motion sick, just uncomfortable.

FoP is a very smooth ride. It swoops and banks. And you're wearing 3D glasses. None of these things bother me at all. I've never even been somewhat motion sick on this ride, however, my DH can't ride FoP. He gets immediately motion sick on it. He thinks it has something to do with the visual effects and the progressive lenses in his glasses, but we're not sure.

OP, if you're concerned about motion sickness on FoP, take a bonine ahead of time. If you do feel bad on the ride, close your eyes. This works for most people since the vehicle itself moves very little. But this ride is so so so worth it. The best ride at WDW, imo. Amazing and beautiful. Leaves Soarin' in the dust!

I did FOP once, wont again. If you have a fear of heights or get motion sickness easily do not ride it.

I did FOP once, wont again. If you have a fear of heights or get motion sickness easily do not ride it.
I have a fear of heights but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of FoP at all. Because what I'm afraid of are actual heights and at FoP I realize that I'm watching a movie. However, I can see where this could come into play for someone.

I have a fear of heights but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of FoP at all. Because what I'm afraid of are actual heights and at FoP I realize that I'm watching a movie. However, I can see where this could come into play for someone.
Unless you're on the top row and look down. I could see that triggering someone's fear of heights.

My niece rode FoP, was nauseous, then rode Everest and threw up all over the sidewalk.

Wondering how much movement is on the Flight of Passage ride as I tend to avoid rides with a lot of jerky type movements (like Big Thunder or Space Mountain) --had back issues years ago and my back gets cranky on jerky type rides.

Thanks so much for the help!

I’m the same way. As a big chicken with back and neck issues I can say it is not jerky and it is not scary. Just a glorious smooth ride.

The motion sickness I think is from the fact that your brain thinks you are moving but your body isn’t moving as much as your brain thinks it is. The first time I rode it I could feel it. The second time I rode it I really went with it, since I wasn’t tense from worrying about what it was going to be like. If you just relax and let your body move like you are really experiencing it I think there are less issues. But it gave my dh a headache both times so something that the head doesn’t care for I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!