Flight of Passage Advice

I’m all about the 10-15 minutes before park close strategy.

I don’t “people” well enough to be in the middle of the Pandora dash, especially first thing in the morning.

This also allows us to have the rest of the park to ourselves for a portion of the am.
That's what we will do. Never thought about it, most folks are rushing to Pandora, rest of the park won't be too bad!:thumbsup2

Oh shoot! I was also counting on the FOP FP at 60+5. My window opens tomorrow morning. I guess every day is different. You still have some time to keep checking daily. Good Luck!
I didn't think about end of night lines. That does sound much more pleasant that RD lines.

What time would be ideal to get in line to try and do FoP at closing? This is for Thurs, Nov 8th. The park closes at 8:00, and Rivers of Light is at 6:30 (the timing of which I feel like does not help me here.) Should I go get in line at like 7:55? There must be a time that they stop people from entering the queue, is that 8:00 sharp?

You can get in line right up until closing time. For an 8 pm close, you can literally get in line at 7:59:59 and will still be allowed to ride.

There have been several recent reports of 20 minute actual waits at closing time. This is probably a more efficient use of time than arriving and hour and a half before the park opens and dealing with those crowds. Just keep in mind that posted waits are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.

Keep checking every day of your window. We are arriving Nov. 6 and I tried to get a FP for FOP for every day we will be there...no luck. I was playing around on MDE on my phone a few evening ago and a FP for FOP opened up for late afternoon the day we get there.

So to be clear, is an ADR for Tusker House at, say 8am for a 9am opening not advised in order to get in place for FOP before the rope drop crowds?

For our upcoming Oct trip, was able to snag Slinky and Navi but not FOP exactly at 7am for our FP window of 60 plus.:( I will keep trying, but will try at the end of the day instead of RD. :goodvibes
This is the exact situation we are in too. We are there in mid October....October 15 is our AK day. When in October are you going?

So I just booked my (60+5) day fast passes, and sadly was not able to get Flight of Passage. As I believe that is not only the best ride at Disney, but the best way a human being can spend 10 mins of their life, I was pretty disappointed.

I searched around on here for the best way to ride it standby, and I was surprised to see someone suggest (and many others corroborate) the strategy of getting to the park at 7:30 AM (for a 9 AM park open) and going immediately to FoP. I don't really understand how this works, especially as it did not seem like those doing this had a pre-open ADR. My only experience getting into a park early involves pre-open breakfast ADRs (usually at BOG at MK). We do this to get right in line for Mine Train, and basically get a "free" fastpass. But they still do not actually let anyone onto the ride before 9 AM (or whenever the park opens.) Yet people in this FoP thread were claiming that they have finished both FoP and Navi River Journey by 9:15 (when the park opens at 9:00) with no pre-open ADR! They just showed up at 7:30, were let right into the park (along with lots of other people of course) and went right to FoP and got in line.

Is this the best strategy for riding FoP standby? I know going right at the close is also popular, but have other plans that night so it is not really feasible without switching a ton of stuff around.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Get in line 5 minutes before park closing. The stand by line moves quickly when fast pass line closes.

Correct, that will not work.
Thank you for that. I will have to re-evaluate whether I keep my current ADR for that day, as the main reason was to eat quickly and be in line for FOP before the crowds. If it does't matter, then I may not need that ADR after all.

You can get in line right up until closing time. For an 8 pm close, you can literally get in line at 7:59:59 and will still be allowed to ride.

There have been several recent reports of 20 minute actual waits at closing time. This is probably a more efficient use of time than arriving and hour and a half before the park opens and dealing with those crowds. Just keep in mind that posted waits are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.
Thanks for the tip about “hopefully” exaggerated wait times.:thumbsup2

No, this was a few days ago. I am well into my 60 day window now, fastpass ship has sailed.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Makes more sense to me now. I guess they slowly open AK early to avoid the insane lines/crowds/rushing that would ensue from an actual rope drop, as FoP is just too popular right now.
I wouldn't lose all hope in getting a FP yet. I've now been twice since Pandora opened. Both times staying offsite (so 30 day window), and both times I was able to get a FP for FoP. The second time there was actually only about 60 hours between deciding I was going and arriving, and I was still able to get one (though I'll admit this time I was solo). Keep checking when you can!

How many people are in your group?

People cancel their FastPass reservations all the time, as plans change, right up until the very last minute. During my last trip I was able to pick up FP+ three different times during the day using my phone, and refreshing to grab any FP+ available. It requires some persistence, works far better early in the day, and not so well toward the end of the day (or the larger your party is). In one case, the FP was for entry 15 minutes after I grabbed it. I felt a little bit guilty (but not that guilty) bypassing everyone who was just getting into line, as well as the people who decided not to ride at all.

We are local to the park and the best strategy is to go before the park closes. As an example, my son lives out of town and we wanted to do FOP earlier rather than later. We took him this past Saturday and did not arrive to the park until 9:30. We waited a little over an hour on a Saturday to get on the ride. Why would you want to get to the park one and a half to two hours before rope drop? In my opinion the queue is worth the wait. By noon the line was over 2 hours long, but as soon as the thunderstorm hit, the standby dropped to 40 minutes. My advise is before closing (better ambiance) or right when there is rain.

Thanks all for your help! I have learned a lot :) I think we are gonna try to get in line right at the close, as I picked up a 6:15 Tusker House ADR. Should roll right into FoP, and make for a nice little Thursday.

We always get in line just before the park closes. 10-15 minutes before park close and we have found the wait to be under an hour after park close. It's the best way, as the rest of the park is closed.

I am well into my 60 day window now, fastpass ship has sailed.

You still could possibly get a FP+. The ship has not sailed. I know this from personal experience. My sister had planned a trip for this May and I didn't decide to go with her until about 45 days out. Maybe it was more like 40 days out. Anyway, she had booked all her FP+s the moment the 60-day window opened and had booked several for FoP.

Of course, I wanted to match up my FP+s to hers and started in immediately after I decided I was going. Okay, yes, I did spend a bit of time refreshing the app--or the computer, depending on where I was--but I was eventually able to get overlapping-time FP+s or could change my sister's FP+ times to match others that were available. Including her several FoP FP+s. In fact, I was able to get a pair of FoP FP+s for a day my sister hadn't scheduled any other FP+s.

The only day I couldn't get an FoP FP+ for myself was arrival day. I got Na'vi for that day. No big deal, I figured, since I still had FoP FP+s for later in the trip. On arrival day, when I got off Na'vi, I went to sit buy the Pandora gift shop to wait for my sister to get off FoP. While I was sitting there with nothing else to do, I thought, what the heck, let me see if I can get a FP+ for FoP. It took me about 5 minutes to score FP+s for myself and my sister for FoP--for like 5 minutes from then.

So--keep trying! When you have 5 spare minutes, log on to MDX and check out the FP+s for the day you're going to be in DAK. As you said, FoP is the best ride. Period. And if you haven't gotten any before you get there, try the night before. Often FP+s open up then.

Siva ko!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!