Flight cancelled, rebooked, then flight uncancelled and we cannot get a seat

at227

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
we are sailing away tomorrow and were set to fly in at 7am from lga today, friday. Last night, Thursday, they cancelled our flight and put us on connecting flights for Saturday getting us in around 12. Too late for us! Luckily my entire party of 8 was able to be rebooked on various flights for today, Friday. So scary bc most was sold out on all airlines!

Now we see our original flight is operating as normal! What is going on!? Has this ever happened to anybody?? We can't even switch back!

Getting flight cancelled, re-book everyone and then put the flight back? That's rare and crazy. Especially on such short notice.
I wouldn't break your head over it at this moment, as long as you all get there on time, focus on that.

Yea we are sticking with new flights but my aunt and her kids are on "standby"...couldn't get them actual seats assigned. Really terrible and I wish I could see how empty that plane is

Yea we are sticking with new flights but my aunt and her kids are on "standby"...couldn't get them actual seats assigned. Really terrible and I wish I could see how empty that plane is
good luck, sending good travel vibes. too much stress :( please update us to let us know you all got there, I have faith! now I'm gonna be checking in!

Best wishes. I am sorry you have this stressful situation.:hug:

Standby is different than no seat assignment. Standby means they may not have seats if all passengers show, or if they are too far down on the standby list.

She should get on the phone and figure out if her family has seats or not.

I just had a situation very similar. I booked flights the day they came out, with jetblue, seats numbers booked. Direct flight with a flight time of 7 P.M.. Six weeks later I get a time change notice which I have to confirm. Changed from 7 P.M. to 9 P.M.. No big deal. Then two weeks ago I get a change notification that the flight has now changed and we will be on a connecting flight out of JFK. What? Did they cancel the direct flight? I went into JetBlue's webside and saw that the time our flight had changed back to 7 P.M. but it was most definitely still there. I phoned JetBlue to find out what was going on. They put us back on the original flight but our seats were gone and we had to move. Again, no big deal. She sent me confirmation.
When I tried to go into the confirmation the next day it once again wanted me to confirm the connecting flight. Another pain to call them and clarify. They insisted that we were on the direct flight and it would show in a few days which came and went with no change. I'm getting nervous so I call back and we go through the whole bit again. This time she was able to get that off so I could see the flight and sent me confirmation.
Next day I go to check on the flight and it says, in bold red, no ticket issued. WHAT! Another call to JetBlue and they insist a ticket is issued. They give me the ticket number so I have that but what good is it if I can't get the ticket printed? I'll wait a week or so and call back, maybe get someone who can get this remedied. While the flight is several months away I'm still nervous, I do not want a connecting flight.

We have never had an issue with JetBlue and have flown with them for years. Hope this is a one off.

What time is your flight? I would go to the airport on time and spend some time at the desk to get everything solved, see if there is an opportunity to get more people on the same flights. Emphasize that you are now booked on various flights and that you are highly inconvenienced by this and that this is Delta's problem to improve.

I know Delta does it more often to not assign seats, but that doesn't mean there are no seats.

Airlines have had to adjust to Boeing's problems with their planes this summer, so there's been a lot of shuffling flights. Sure hope they get things resolved soon.

Possible they had a switch in aircraft and then it was okay? You never know anymore. I hope it all works out. BTW, we had the same issue with Delta for our Alaskan cruise. I booked very early to get the (nonstop) flights I wanted - and the seats I wanted. They changed our flight home so many times until finally the flight was leaving about the same time we docked back in Seattle! By then the only flight left was one with a VERY long layover (Minneapolis, I think) that would get us back to LGA around midnight! Closer to our cruise, my original flight (the one I booked) popped back up and I was able to switch. US Domestic airlines leave a lot to be desired!

Have a great cruise!

Did they book Basic or Main fare? For the Basic fare, you can not pick your seats. They will be assigned at check in.

You should be able to see available seats for the flight online. Click on "Book" and enter in the travel info. Under the flight info, click on Seats.

@at227

To check Delta seat availability, go to their website, find your flight as if you were going to book a new flight. Then on the flight selection page, look for this:

Click and it will tell you what seats are still available to book. Now, if won't tell you how many confirmed tickets are sold, because some people might not have booked seats but have confirmed tickets. But at least it will give you an idea of availability of that flight.

@at227

To check Delta seat availability, go to their website, find your flight as if you were going to book a new flight. Then on the flight selection page, look for this:

View attachment 416640

Click and it will tell you what seats are still available to book. Now, if won't tell you how many confirmed tickets are sold, because some people might not have booked seats but have confirmed tickets. But at least it will give you an idea of availability of that flight.
I would use another method as the entire flight can be booked, but no one has assigned their seats yet. I would suggest to look at the letter right under 'Main', in this case (H).
Each fare has a letter, and for Delta the letters in Economy are: B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V. B is the highest economy fare, V the lowest economy fare.
You can say as they are selling H, but not M or B yet, it's pretty full, but not sold out yet. Best is to select the flight you are looking for as your outbound flight, and a return flight far in the future. This as some of the lower fares are not eligible to be sold as a one-way ticket.
Also this is not 100% reliable.

I would use another method as the entire flight can be booked, but no one has assigned their seats yet. I would suggest to look at the letter right under 'Main', in this case (H).
Each fare has a letter, and for Delta the letters in Economy are: B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V. B is the highest economy fare, V the lowest economy fare.
You can say as they are selling H, but not M or B yet, it's pretty full, but not sold out yet. Best is to select the flight you are looking for as your outbound flight, and a return flight far in the future. This as some of the lower fares are not eligible to be sold as a one-way ticket.
Also this is not 100% reliable.

Is the lettering system the same for First and Comfort+? Are there certain fare categories ineligible for one-way tickets or does it vary by flight?

Last edited:
Oh my goodness- this sounds stressful and miserable. I would take the advice of others here and call, like, right now. Fingers crossed that everything works out. Please keep us posted

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Hi all,
we are sailing away tomorrow and were set to fly in at 7am from lga today, friday. Last night, Thursday, they cancelled our flight and put us on connecting flights for Saturday getting us in around 12. Too late for us! Luckily my entire party of 8 was able to be rebooked on various flights for today, Friday. So scary bc most was sold out on all airlines!

Now we see our original flight is operating as normal! What is going on!? Has this ever happened to anybody?? We can't even switch back!

At any point did you guys call delta? Or have you just let them work it out and tell you? Actually even if you’ve called, call again.

And if it’s too late for the OP, for anyone else, check flights often and call call call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts