Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

Questions on FlexPass upgrade. I purchased 5-day tickets with Maxpass for my family. We intend to upgrade to FlexPass on the last day of our trip. 1) If we upgrade to FlexPass with MaxPass, will the entire value of our 5-day tickets be applied; and 2) If we upgrade to FlexPass without MaxPass, will the entire value of our 5-day tickets be applied, or only that portion not attributable to the MaxPass already purchased?
1) I upgraded my 3day PH to a Flex AP, MaxPass was purchased at the same time I bought the tickets. The total amount I paid for the 3day tickets including the value of MaxPass ($45) was applied to my Flex Pass. I upgraded these tickets at the end of August.
2) Yes, even if you don't add MaxPass to your AP the total amount you paid including MaxPass value is applied to your AP upgrade.

I also opted to include MaxPass in the Flex AP, it's the best way to enjoy each DL/DCA visit IMO & justifies the $100 add on cost. Perfect example of this is a recent Friday evening visit to DL to see the Halloween decor, DD really wanted to ride HMH in it's NBC overlay, there were no FastPasses available since it was late in the day. With a little MaxPass finesse, I scored a F! FP and during the wait for this show was able to get BTM FP for after the show. After the amazing show, we rushed over to BTM only to find the ride was shut down. A little disappointed we decided to check wait time for IJA ride and saw the BTM FP turned into a universal FP! We rushed over to HMH and breezed past the 45+ minute queue and DD got her one wish for the night, to ride NBC overlay of HMH!! This could have only happened with MaxPass loaded to our APs. Well worth the upfront cost.

1) I upgraded my 3day PH to a Flex AP, MaxPass was purchased at the same time I bought the tickets. The total amount I paid for the 3day tickets including the value of MaxPass ($45) was applied to my Flex Pass. I upgraded these tickets at the end of August.
2) Yes, even if you don't add MaxPass to your AP the total amount you paid including MaxPass value is applied to your AP upgrade.

I also opted to include MaxPass in the Flex AP, it's the best way to enjoy each DL/DCA visit IMO & justifies the $100 add on cost. Perfect example of this is a recent Friday evening visit to DL to see the Halloween decor, DD really wanted to ride HMH in it's NBC overlay, there were no FastPasses available since it was late in the day. With a little MaxPass finesse, I scored a F! FP and during the wait for this show was able to get BTM FP for after the show. After the amazing show, we rushed over to BTM only to find the ride was shut down. A little disappointed we decided to check wait time for IJA ride and saw the BTM FP turned into a universal FP! We rushed over to HMH and breezed past the 45+ minute queue and DD got her one wish for the night, to ride NBC overlay of HMH!! This could have only happened with MaxPass loaded to our APs. Well worth the upfront cost.
Thanks! We will use the FlexPass for another five-day trip in 2021, so we will just buy MP day by day, since it will be cheaper ($75) than adding it to the pass at the outset.

October is the new summer! Not even kidding, the parks have been empty all summer (even on coolder days). Gone are the days when the parks would close at 8pm in October.

Touring Plans is projecting crowd levels of 9-10on Saturdays in October, the flex situation supports that.

Silver lining for me because DVC still codes October as low season, woot woot.

October is the new summer! Not even kidding, the parks have been empty all summer (even on coolder days). Gone are the days when the parks would close at 8pm in October.

Touring Plans is projecting crowd levels of 9-10on Saturdays in October, the flex situation supports that.

Silver lining for me because DVC still codes October as low season, woot woot.
Yeah I skipped going in October last year, except on the Halloween party because it was just too crazy.

I've read the last few pages, but not the entire thread, so this may have already been answered. I know the Saturdays in October are blocked for Disneyland. How fast after the 30 day mark did reservations run out? October 19th is almost 30 days out, so that one went pretty quickly.

Also, if you have a reservation for DCA only, but find that DL opens up, do you have to cancel the DCA only reservation before making a reservation for both parks? I'd hate to end up with no reservation at all if all the reservations were taken during the process of cancelling and rebooking. I don't see that being an issue right now, but I'm curious how the process works.

Flex is going to really be more impacted as more Premiers come off their annual renewals and saw the wide availability for Flex -- until there's none. So let's see if this trend continues into after the holidays when a true cost/benefit with SoCal folk and the injection of Premiere conversions impacts reservation days.

Lots of movement, since as if 6:13am PST zero California Adventure days are ‘reservation unavailable’ and only Oct 12th is a ‘reservation unavailable’ day for Disneyland. Everything else opened back up.

I know it's been a really long time since it has happened and hard to imagine it happening anytime soon but does anyone think that if the park is closed for capacity if people holding a flex pass reservation is still let in?

I know it's been a really long time since it has happened and hard to imagine it happening anytime soon but does anyone think that if the park is closed for capacity if people holding a flex pass reservation is still let in?

A Flex Pass operates just like any other AP or ticket when it comes to park capacity. If the parks are closed for capacity reasons, no one is let in until enough people have left the parks.

10/5 and 10/19 open both parks. I need the12th. Guess I missed it yesterday(while at the parks)

I had wanted to visit in the 2nd half of October, and given the recent increase in unavailability, I decided to book 10/19 when I saw it was available this morning. I guess I have to leave that 2nd day available for use, as I like to have one in case I decide to do a last minute weekend trip.

Can everyone make sure I'm understanding the flex pass correctly?

I will be at Disney from October 20th early am (~9am) till Oct 24th and then again Oct 26th and 27th.

Based on those dates it sounds like Oct 20th (Sun), Oct 26th (Sat), and Oct 27t (Sun) will require me to make a reservation with the pass.

I'm allowed two reservations at any time and EACH PARK (even for the same day) counts as a reservation. So if I want to be able to park hop Disney and DCA on the same day, that will use up my only two reservations. As SOON as I scan into the park that uses that reservations, which is valid for the full day, and opens up the ability to make a new reservation.

The strategy would be to buy a FlexPass Oct 20th, quickly make a Disney and DCA reservation and head into the Disneyland gate, turn around, and head over to the DCA gate. Now I'm good to hop back in forth between those two parks Oct 20th all day long and have two new reservations to make. Then probably based on demand I should make a reservation for Disneyland for Oct 26th and 27th and as soon as I enter the park on each of those days quickly make a reservation for DCA for the same day. (Assuming that's available)

If when I show up on the 20th there is NO reservations left for the 20th, then I could buy a 5 day Park Hopper ticket, enter on the 20th like a normal guest and then Thursday morning convert that 5 day to a FlexPass and hope Oct 26th and 27th I can get reservations.

I'll be solo on the 20th but have different friends with me for the 21st to 24th and the 26th-27th. So if converting the ticket/picking up a pass takes a long time (30+ minutes standing in line, etc) I'm not sure I'll want to subject my friend to waiting with me or splitting up, I live out of state and the FlexPass is more of a "why not" kind of opportunity just in case I have the chance to return within the year.

In addition, I WILL be in the park 26th-27th for sure, since I'll be with a different friend those days. If the FlexPass fails me then I'll be buying a 2 day park hopper... (Also, while Disney is a priority that day since this friend has limited time in the parks [doing Knott's Scary farm Sat night & flying out of SNA around 7pm Sun] we probably will park hop some since she'll want to at least try to fit in RSR via MaxPass and Guardians)

I guess easiest and cheapest would be to get the FlexPass day 1 (when I'm solo) and try my above reservation strategy. Second would be to get a 5 day ticket and upgrade toward the end of the ticket. Last would be to abandon the Flex and get a 5 day and a 2 day park hopper with MaxPass.

FlexPass with MaxPass = $699 (I do get savings on most food/merch though and I have 8 table service reservations already, lol)
5 Day + MaxPass converted to Flex with MaxPass = $774 (assuming the MaxPass $75 addon for the 5 day ticket doesn't apply to the upgrade)
5 Day w/MaxPass + 2 Day w/MaxPass = $780
FlexPass w/MaxPass + 2 Day Single Park Ticket w/Max = $954 (This is if I got the Flex, made Disneyland res for 26th & 27th but DCA was unavailable both days & I had to buy another single park ticket to get into DCA, worst case most painful situation)

Last edited:
Can everyone make sure I'm understanding the flex pass correctly?

I will be at Disney from October 20th early am (~9am) till Oct 24th and then again Oct 26th and 27th.

Based on those dates it sounds like Oct 20th (Sun), Oct 26th (Sat), and Oct 27t (Sun) will require me to make a reservation with the pass.

I'm allowed two reservations at any time and EACH PARK (even for the same day) counts as a reservation. So if I want to be able to park hop Disney and DCA on the same day, that will use up my only two reservations. As SOON as I scan into the park that uses that reservations, which is valid for the full day, and opens up the ability to make a new reservation.

The strategy would be to buy a FlexPass Oct 20th, quickly make a Disney and DCA reservation and head into the Disneyland gate, turn around, and head over to the DCA gate. Now I'm good to hop back in forth between those two parks Oct 20th all day long and have two new reservations to make. Then probably based on demand I should make a reservation for Disneyland for Oct 26th and 27th and as soon as I enter the park on each of those days quickly make a reservation for DCA for the same day. (Assuming that's available)

You are overthinking this... There are three ways to make one reservation: DL only reservation, DCA only reservation, and both parks reservation. All three options count as one reservation.

Make a reservation for 10/20 and 10/26 with the “Both Parks” option. These will count as two reservations. When you scan into either park on 10/20, you should be able to make a reservation for 10/27.

You are overthinking this... There are three ways to make one reservation: DL only reservation, DCA only reservation, and both parks reservation. All three options count as one reservation.

Make a reservation for 10/20 and 10/26 with the “Both Parks” option. These will count as two reservations. When you scan into either park on 10/20, you should be able to make a reservation for 10/27.

OH WOW! I totally thought Disneyland counted as one and DCA counted as one, even if on the same day!

OH WOW! I totally thought Disneyland counted as one and DCA counted as one, even if on the same day!

It only counts as one if you make separate reservations for each park. There is an option to make one reservation for both parks and that counts as one reservation. And you only have to scan in to one of the parks under the “both” reservation, there’s no need to feel like you HAVE to get over to the other park to not be counted as a “no show”. So there’s really no reason not to make a reservation for both parks of that option is available.

It only counts as one if you make separate reservations for each park. There is an option to make one reservation for both parks and that counts as one reservation. And you only have to scan in to one of the parks under the “both” reservation, there’s no need to feel like you HAVE to get over to the other park to not be counted as a “no show”. So there’s really no reason not to make a reservation for both parks of that option is available.

That is awesome! That makes FlexPass basically a no-brainer as long as there is some availability, like two out of those 3 reservation days. Then the 10% merch/food discount will make it break even if I do need to buy a single day ticket. Of course hopefully it’ll work out that FlexPass gets me in every day!

(Also, I one of those insane people that even with loads of planning I bounce back between parks like 3+ times a day.... we end up walking a lot at Disney :P)

Then the 10% merch/food discount will make it break even if I do need to buy a single day ticket.

Sounds like it will probably work out for you with the Flex Pass!

I just wanted to point that all of your dates that require Flex Pass reservations (Oct. 20, 26, 27) are all "Peak" days (which is why they require reservations). That means that a 1-Day Park Hopper cost $199. So you would have to spend $1,990 on food and merchandise for the 10% discount to cover the cost of one of those tickets. That's a lot of churros!

But that's only the worst-case scenario. Hopefully you'll get the Flex Pass reservations you need.

If you are going to get the FP with MP, then why not buy it now, so you can go ahead and lock in reservations for 10/20 and 10/26 (they are currently open to reserve for both parks, but saturdays in October have been intermittently unavailable for reservations for one park, as you can see in yesterday’s posts here). This way, you will for sure have a park hopper FP with MP for 10/20 and 10/26, AND you will be able to hopefully reserve 10/27 as soon as you scan in on 10/20 ( because then you go down to one reservation for 10/26 only and are eligible to book 10/27). That will still be a full week before 10/27, so it increases your chances of getting that day reserved, versus buying a 5 day PH with MP, then upgrading to FP on 10/26 and trying to get both 10/26 and 10/27, which at that point will be same-day and next-day reservations.

If for whatever reason you decide to do the 5 day PH with MP, and you buy the tickets from Disney with MP already included on the PH when you purchase the ticket, the value of the MP WILL be applied to your FP with MP purchase, per others on this thread. But I still think it makes the most sense to get the FP right now and book those two dates and then hope you can get 10/27 on 10/20.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter