"Five Mickey bars hit you like two glasses of wine!" a Jan 2019 adults-only TR *COMPLETED* 6/25

My husband and I are new DVC members, and our first home stay at Copper Creek will be December
Yay congratulations! We bought CC without having stayed at WL either and we were not disappointed at all. And from all accounts Christmas is the best time to be there :D

Good friend chicken is about the skin, too. Homecomin has good chicken skin.
Amen to that!!

As someone who toes the line wherever she goes, I just can't imagine having enough gall to be like, "Ann? Yep, that's me." Crazy....
It was pretty gutsy...And to execute it without any consequences? Has me thinking about giving it a try sometime...

Drinks and apps sound like the perfect way to enjoy the place without having to commit to a full meal.
It really was! I could definitely see going there when the music is playing and just snacking/drinking for a little while.

but I know it's one of the multitude of bottles and jars of stuff that accompany DD and DW on our trips.
but you have heard of me.gif

Rum is my drink of choice, usually with cola, but it's hard to beat a nice rum cocktail, especially in the summer.
We could be drinking buddies. That's also my drink of choice!

Each of us in my family got a meal and we could barely eat half of it.
It's really too much food (and you know it's got to be a lot of food for me to say that)

I didn't even realize cupcake sundaes were a thing.
They're so good- but also a lot of food. Apparently there's also a menu item called a cupcake sandwich, which is two cupcake tops with a scoop of ice cream in the middle. I ordered that but the CM said the sundae was a better deal because there's more options and it's the same concept.

Come to the Dark Side, We Have Butterbeer

That’s right- our first full day together was spent over at the “other parks.” We picked up P&A via a Lyft share type thing that Jon introduced me to. Apparently you can order a Lyft and have it stop somewhere then continue on to your destination (we’re living in the future, ladies and gents). So we had it stop at POP to grab P&A and then we were off to Universal!

[I was really excited that it was a little cooler that day because I wanted to wear the Hufflepuff scarf that I got from King’s Cross station in London]

We were talking in the car about how full we all were. Like still uncomfortably full from all the excess of the night before. P&A actually thought they might be catching my stomach bug but thankfully it was just a bad case of gluttony gone awry. No one got sick and eventually we all did get hungry again.

Anyway, we got to the gates for IOA about 20 minutes before open and the park was dead.

Like gone the way of the dinosaurs dead. It was surreal how empty it was! We wanted to take advantage of the lack of humans and hit a bunch of rides right off, so we rode Hulk, Dr Doom, Spider Man, and Kong all within an hour. Not kidding. All except for Kong we walked straight through the queue to our seats with no waiting. For Kong we had just missed the vehicle as it was pulling out so the only waiting was for the next one to pull up.

Our next stop was the Jurassic Park Discovery Center (or as I like to call it, the Missed Opportunity Center) where we poked around at all the little things you can explore and played a round of dinosaur trivia. I think P won. It was riveting.

[This is our 4th trip to Universal and the 1st time we’ve been able to get this picture since it’s usually just the two of us. Thank you P&A for being our photographers]

Then we decided to circle back around to the other side of the park to avoid walking past Harry Potter, since that was going to be the last thing we did at IOA before hopping over to USF. P&A hadn’t been to Universal before so I wanted them to get the full experience of walking into Hogsmeade.

On the way we rode Spidey one more time and this time it had a 15 minute wait, and that was probably the longest wait we had for the rest of the day.

We walked through Seuss Landing and I tried to take some artsy photos but I felt bad for keeping the rest of the group waiting so I just took some okay photos instead.

We didn’t ride anything, just wandered through so they could see it. We also wandered through the Lost Continent but no one felt like going through Poseidon’s Fury so we skipped it. Anyone else think that the entrance and theme to the outside of this ride is way too epic for what you get once you’re inside?

And finally, at long last, it was time for Harry Potter. First order of business: photo opportunities. I did not get all ‘puffed up to not get substantial photographic evidence.

Then we just took a few minutes to soak in the magic (the wizard kind, not the pixie dust kind). And of course we took a few more photos.

After the photo stop, we took a Forbidden Journey around Hogwarts. This ride is still probably my favorite ride on the planet, from any theme park. Hate me for it but it’s one heck of a ride. It’s thrilling, it’s immersive, it’s got great technology. It’s just amazing.

I wanted to wait and watch the first TriWizard Tournament show but first, PICTURES!

IMG_5612.jpeg

I think the TriWizard show is really fun but the specific reason I wanted to watch it was because one of my Insta friends was performing that day. She did a fantastic job and of course I got a photo after.

We poked around at the shops a little. It’s cool to see someone who’s never been discover the incredible theming of the Wizarding World for the first time. I think their food & merch especially shine. This was actually the first trip where I didn’t walk away with any Harry Potter merch (probably because I’ve already purchased most of what I want om previous trips :P)

[I truly adore this outfit so you’re gonna see a lot of it, folks]

When we were done shopping we finally felt our first rumble of hunger and decided to stop at The Three Broomsticks for some lunch. I think three of us got the Shepherd’s Pie and P got the roasted chicken. And my first butterbeer of the day. Oh sweet, sweet butterbeer how I love you. I’ve tried so many recipes at home to try to recreate it but I haven’t had any luck yet.

We took advantage of one last great photo spot before taking the midnight train going anywhere (and by that I mean the approximately 1pm train going to King’s Cross Station).

Once off at King’s Cross we turned the corner and entered Diagon Alley. I think I prefer Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade as far as ambiance. I like that there’s that big covered portion and I really like Florean Fortescue’s (although sadly I would not have any of their amazing lavender Earl Grey ice cream on this trip).

We took some time just to walk around and take it all in. We also tried several of the spell spots, although I had to go get my wand cleaned up at Ollivander’s because it was a little scratched. Then we rode Gringotts and Jon went to get a frozen butterbeer while I took some photos.

And for the rest of the day I took significantly less photos. Guess I wanted to keep my camera put up? No idea.

After enjoying the frozen butterbeer we left Diagon Alley to explore the rest of the park and first up was a new ride for the whole group- the Fast and Furious ride. To sum up our experience I’ll just put a direct quote here from my notes:

“Fast and Furious. No one enjoyed it.”

This ride is absolute garbage. It’s the same ride concept as Kong but a really dumb scenario and not even 10% as exciting (and I don’t think Kong is all that exciting). The best part of the ride was the live actor in the 2nd preshow. The techy intern type person. His acting was great and he was really funny. Go see that bit then skip out on the ride.

Then we rode Transformers (or as I like to call it, Autobot Spiderman) and went over to ride Fallon, where I completely forgot to grab 3D glasses so I just went through the whole ride in boring ole fuzzy 2D.

Next up it was coaster time. We convinced A to overcome her fear of mummies and ride the Mummy Returns and she thought it was okay! It’s one of my favorite rides at Universal and usually Jon and I ride it multiple times but we stuck with just the once on this trip since we were trying to fit both parks into one day. After that was a spin on the Rockit, which I’m not a major fan of (mostly because the completely vertical ascent which makes me really really nervous). None of those rides had over a 10 minute wait. It was incredible.

We walked around the park a little more and stumbled upon the animal actors show just a few minutes before it was scheduled to start. I think this show is actually really cute so I’m glad we had a chance to watch it. The kid they picked for the bit with some dog tricks was quite young and wasn’t too hyped about following directions so not many of the tricks worked but it was still fun to watch all the animal hijinks.

Next up was a ride on ET, which was fun and nostalgic as always. Although a few weeks ago I read a report that it was down because someone seriously messed up their food while the bike contraption was coming into the unloading area. Ew.

Then we walked through the Simpsons area (no Simpsons fans in this group) and rode MIB. It’s your typical shoot-for-points game but the preshow is fun and it reminds me of my childhood, mostly because we also had a talking pug growing up.

At this point we had circled all through the park back to Diagon Alley so we went back in and I got a hot butterbeer (the best butterbeer) and we did some more magic and watched the dragon flames. Then we went back through King’s Cross to the Hogwarts Express and caught the castle lights show over in Hogsmeade.

And with that our time in the Universal parks was done! We walked through to the front of the park to our dinner destination- the Chocolate Emporium. Jon and I had milkshakes there a few years ago but we hadn’t been back and we didn’t have any actual food. Not only that, but another of my Insta friends is friends with Penelope, the quirky owner of the establishment, and I heard she was visiting that evening.

The Emporium doesn’t take reservations but we only had to wait about 10-15 mins before we were seated. We started with the avocado bruschetta (well, P&A started with it and they graciously shared with us) and it was good! I’m not a huge avocado fan but hey if it’s deep fried I’ll give it a try.

For mains I got the chicken bercy and Jon got the alfredo, both of which were really good.

We finished off by sharing a the May Contain Nuts sundae, which consisted of peanut butter ice cream, peanut brittle, peanut butter cups, chocolate peanut butter pie, peanut butter sauce, and Reese’s pieces.

[I appreciated the delicate hints of peanut here. Very subtle.]

Once Penelope and her robot friend Jacques came down we got to spend a lot of time with them and it was delightful! Jacques is particularly fun. If you go for dinner sometime (which I highly recommend), make a point of visiting with them!

We stopped to buy some treats on our way out (because who can resist such beautiful confections??) and then went to the Lyft pick up area to get back to our hotels.

My final note of the day is just “so cold.” It was surprisingly chilly all day and when the sun went down it was oooo brrr. We were all happy to get in a car with heat, and even happier to get back to our beds for some sleep!

Hufflepuffs unite!
I'm trying to convince my husband to go to Universal in December while we are there. The series interest him, but he asks me questions every time a movie from the universe is on. Like, why didn't they expand the franchise through the centuries? I don't know. Questions about Newt Scamander, Grindelwald, how old is Dumbledore etc etc. Come on already, let's go!
Loved your US day.

Enjoying the TR :)

After the meal we paid (with a gift card) and I realized something weird about paying for TS with a gift card. So I did some research and found that it’s totally okay to leave a tip on a gift card because they will just run it like they do credit cards and take the tip off. BUT what happens if you go and spend the rest of the balance before they run it?? So after that meal I decided we weren’t doing gift cards for TS just to avoid something like that.

And now that I’m thinking about it, I realized that it was the Disney Moms Panel where I saw you could use a gift card for a tip and I totally forgot that the Moms can be completely unreliable so I’m just sitting here on my couch worried that a few of our servers didn’t get tipped at all and they don’t deserve that! Oh man I need to put some positivity out into the world to make up for it.

In regards to gift cards and tips, it is possible for the server to lose the tip if they don't finalize the check in a timely manner and the guest has continued spending on the gift card leaving no balance remaining for the tip. If it's a good server they will finalize the check quickly to avoid this happening.​

Wow what a jam-packed day you had! It really mustn't have been busy to get all you got done.

I disagree with you about the facade of Poseidon's Fury not matching with the experience. I find the experience pretty cool in there and super immersive. It is slow moving but that finale is wild and so is the water tunnel.

I must be weird because the vertical ascent doesn't bother me on Rip Ride Rock it. The roughness is what gets me and I'm someone who loves the Matterhorn at Disneyland. The track needs a good greasing or the way the trains are lined up needs to be re-evaluated.

E.T.! So glad there's someone aside from me who adores that ride as much as I do. Nostalgia and warm fuzzies galore.

I love all of your Wizarding World pics, you fit right on in and look like you are having a blast. All the Butterbeer all the time. And I'm def taking your word for it on the Florean Fortescue flavor. I've only had the Butterbeer and was wondering what I should try for next time.

Your outfit was wonderful! It was perfect for your day at Universal, and what a nice perk to have friends with you to capture photos of you wearing it around the park.
Mmmm, butterbeer. That stuff is amazing and not as good at the WB Studios in London. :sad: I have seriously considered a day at Universal just to get my butterbeer fix. :laughing:

I'm glad your friend gave the Mummy a chance. And I agree about the nostalgia factor with MIB. It's a piece of childhood you can't pass up on.

I've only had a milkshake at the Chocolate Emporium but your sundae (did it have peanuts in it?;)) looked delicious.

Sounds like this was a really great day!

I love your TR - it almost feels like I'm following along behind you! :rolleyes1

It's so entertaining that I read it all in one sitting (well, sort of. There might have been an intermission to grab some Girl Scout cookies in there somewhere...)! And if the thought of me invisibly following you on this trip is not creepy enough, I just binge-read your birthday TR and followed you on Insta, too. I think you're either my long-lost BFF or my spirit animal...

Anyway, please keep it coming! I need to know about those five Mickey bars!! :mickeybar

Hufflepuffs unite!
PUFF PRIDE

I'm trying to convince my husband to go to Universal in December while we are there
I hope you are successful! It's so much fun.

Man, I wish my girls were old enough to do Universal. I desperately want to see the HP stuff (I'm midnight-book-release level nerd) but I want the girls to read them first, which means I have quite a wait. It looks like so much fun!
Soon
Reading the books is definitely amazing and adds to the experience but what they've done is pretty much recreated scenes from the movie so it's amazing even if you've only seen the movies! The first time we went my DH hadn't even seen all the movies (and I still married him....) and he was blown away.

In regards to gift cards and tips, it is possible for the server to lose the tip if they don't finalize the check in a timely manner and the guest has continued spending on the gift card leaving no balance remaining for the tip.
THANK YOU for clarifying! To be safe, I think I'll still avoid using gift cards for TS. Wouldn't want a perfectly deserving server to go without a trip just because I can't keep track of my gift card spending.

I find the experience pretty cool in there and super immersive. It is slow moving but that finale is wild and so is the water tunnel.
Okay I get that. To be fair- I've only done it once and maybe our intern/guide wasn't on their game? I may have to give it another chance!

And I'm def taking your word for it on the Florean Fortescue flavor
Earl Grey & Lavender. It will change your life.

Your outfit was wonderful! It was perfect for your day at Universal, and what a nice perk to have friends with you to capture photos of you wearing it around the park.
Yes!! So thankful for friends/husbands who are patient and feed my obsession.

Mmmm, butterbeer. That stuff is amazing and not as good at the WB Studios in London.
Oh good to know that it's different! I would have assumed it was the same...

did it have peanuts in it?
A few.

There might have been an intermission to grab some Girl Scout cookies in there somewhere
I always approve of Girl Scout cookie breaks.

And if the thought of me invisibly following you on this trip is not creepy enough, I just binge-read your birthday TR and followed you on Insta, too. I think you're either my long-lost BFF or my spirit animal...
Isn't that what the internet is for??? Now I'm going through my insta followers to follow you back!

I need to know about those five Mickey bars
Oh don't worry- you shall.

Still haven't experienced Universal yet, but man is your report making me want to start planning a trip stat
I will be the enabler you desire for your Universal trip. Definitely get it on the books!

This sounds like the most successful day ever! The low crowds really allowed you to do SO much!

I agree about the techy guy in the F&F preshow being the best part of the ride..he was hilarious lol

This sounds like the most successful day ever! The low crowds really allowed you to do SO much!
Yes! We were nervous going into it because we had never tried to do both parks in just one day but the crowds were so low and we got everything done that we wanted!

I agree about the techy guy in the F&F preshow being the best part of the ride..he was hilarious lol
I love that kind of character and the actor for us just pulled it off so perfectly

What a fun Universal day!! It seems like you were able to fit in just about everything I would want to do. I know lower crowds helped with that....we are planning to do 2 parks in 1 day this December, but it's the week of Christmas, so I have to go in with the mindset that anything we get to do is a bonus!

Hi I'm so sorry I dropped off but I'm back!!!

I'm so glad you felt better and that you loved the WL!!! That Roaring Fork meal looked delicious!!

Your FoF pics are AMAZING? WERK

Wait wait wait wait wait I ADORE the Mickey/Minnie outfits and those SHORTS

Syby.gif

THE BALLOON BUCKET!!! V. JEALOUS. It seems very on brand for you, which I know I don't KNOW you like that but I just FEEL like the Mickey Balloon popcorn bucket is very much part of your image and I'm glad you have it

FANTASTIC first day. 10/10.

me trying to figure out what rimes with Panimal Rindom Todge

tenor.gif

Sanaa looked DELISH. I need to try that bread service!!

Broooooooooooo I swear they had the Christmas music playing until the first week of February this year. It was mad annoying.

I really dig that photo of the welcome to Harambe sign, idk the vibes are stellar there

The Edison apps look amazing!!

The seater at Homecomin' when you told them you were checking in under your name, ann:

tenor.gif

Homecomin'........ it is TRULY one of the best restaurants at Disney. UGH, we STAN

Wow, what a DAY at Universal!! #TeamHufflepuff, and also #TeamHadATalkingPugGrowingUp. Looks like it was a lot of fun, from rope dropping Hulk to meeting Penelope and Jacques!

OKAY YAY I'M ALL CAUGHT UP!!! This is an amazing TR, you're hilarious, and I want the best for you every day of your life

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter