First trip

Kialovesbooks24

Earning My Ears
Hi! We are planning our first trip and I am looking for any all tips and tricks, we’re going in early November.

Also I’m plus size so I’m wondering about shoe recommendations if anyone has any suggestions ☺️

So we are in the process of planning our first trip to Disney world, I am looking for any tips and tricks you guys can recommend.

For a reference, we are planning to go in the beginning of November, so I guess a couple of the questions I have would be
1. What are crowds like in the beginning of November?
2. What can I expect, weatherwise?
3. Trying to decide if seven nights or nine nights would be better, do you think nine nights is too much?
4. Trying to decide if I want to do 4 Park days or 5 park days
5. also, I am a plus size individual and looking into different types of shoes to bring with me. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

All of November is very crowded. Multiple holidays, runDisney events, Jersey week, etc. We've done November a few times, including last year and won't go back during that month. We prefer early December, right after Thanksgiving - crowds were lighter and all of the holiday decor is up. We also like late October. Weather is variable - cold, hot or both in one day. There is no predicting what it will be and it is still, technically, hurricane season through November.

So we are in the process of planning our first trip to Disney world, I am looking for any tips and tricks you guys can recommend.

For a reference, we are planning to go in the beginning of November, so I guess a couple of the questions I have would be
3. Trying to decide if seven nights or nine nights would be better, do you think nine nights is too much?
5. also, I am a plus size individual and looking into different types of shoes to bring with me. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.
It will be very buys as it always is. Just choose dates that work best for you.

Should be nice weather to go to the parks in. It may even be a little cooler than what you'd expect for Florida.

If you can do nine nights i'd do it. So much to see and do at WDW. This also allows you a much better pace to experience the parks at

Do 5. one park each day and then you can go back to your favorite park or back to a park that you missed out on something you wanted earlier in the trip.

Longer is always nice, but it does add to the budget. While extra days on the tickets get "less expensive" (per day), there are still resort and dining costs. A 7-night stay has you at WDW for 8 days, a 9-night stay could be 10 days, depending on your travel plans for arrival and departure days.

As to 4 or 5 park days -- go with 5 park days. Or if you do a 9-night stay maybe consider a 6th park day. My family almost always does 1 or 2 "resort" days but I think more than that might get tiresome or boring unless you have some non-Disney things you plan to do as well. Also be aware of the ticket use window unless you are booking an on-site package for the full stay. A 4-day ticket is only valid for 7 days, or a 5-day ticket is valid for 8 days.

Longer is always nice, but it does add to the budget. While extra days on the tickets get "less expensive" (per day), there are still resort and dining costs. A 7-night stay has you at WDW for 8 days, a 9-night stay could be 10 days, depending on your travel plans for arrival and departure days.

As to 4 or 5 park days -- go with 5 park days. Or if you do a 9-night stay maybe consider a 6th park day. My family almost always does 1 or 2 "resort" days but I think more than that might get tiresome or boring unless you have some non-Disney things you plan to do as well. Also be aware of the ticket use window unless you are booking an on-site package for the full stay. A 4-day ticket is only valid for 7 days, or a 5-day ticket is valid for 8 days.
We are staying on site at Port Orleans, French Quarter, we are also planning a break day in between as well as a day trip to Cocoa Beach, kids have never been out of the state so I want them to experience this but trying to narrow down the dates on the best time to go

1. About mid-range. Not as busy as holiday weeks, but fairly busy. As this is your first trip, it will probably seem quite busy to you.
2. Variable at that time of year. You might get afternoon 80's, or it might be more like upper 60's and windy. November tends to be a bit breezy. If you search weather trends for zip 32830, you'll see factual weather averages. Some days will probably be okay for swimming, but it might be a bit chilly to swim other days. Good idea to pack at least some long pants/hoodies or jackets, and probably plan to wear them at night. Also good to recheck weather the day before you leave.
3. For me, yes. Unless you plan some non-WDW days. Going to Universal breaks it up a bit, but even better is a few non-theme park days. For me, after 7 days the crowds, queues, and incessant Disney music start to annoy me. It is fun for a week though.
4. I'd suggest 5-7 park days. Even 5 is not enough to see everything, especially on your first visit. But it also depends on you, and how much you enjoy being that type of environment.
5. I am not sure plus size matters in footwear. EVERYONE should invest in good quality, comfortable shoes. Even though we plan to walk around WDW, we tend to buy running shoes at a running store. A big reason we go there is that they asses the way each customer walks, and suggest shoes to correct for any pronation, flat feet, high arches, etc. If you can't do that, Brooks is one of the better brands. The running store helps everyone buy sneakers, you don't have to be a runner. If you are prone to any problems/variations the correct shoes can make a big difference in how your feet feel.

We always bring 2 pairs of shoes, where at least one of the pairs is water tolerant. We often wear quality sandals; the kind with adjustable straps and arch support. Ecco is one brand, but far from the only good one. Teva is another good brand. If you can't find water-proof shoes, you can also buy waterproofing spray. It won't make sneakers waterproof, but it will help many shoes to be more durable in rain. If you like, you can also bring cheap flip flops for the shower/pool. Alternating shoes every other day helps at WDW.

[I mentioned adjustable- EVERYONE's feet swell when they spend all day walking. Being able to adjust your footwear is another important feature of good WDW footwear.

If you are prone to blisters, then there are a number of helpful products to prevent them. One inexpensive option is precut strips of something called moleskin. (Dr. Scholls brand moleskin is one option.)

Orthotics (via a podiatrist) are maybe another option if you want to improve comfort, but they can be $$$.

I also always tell everyone who asks about footwear to try to get outdoors for 30-minute daily walks starting at least a month before your visit, but if you can start sooner that is even better. Walking more than 30min is also better, but it isn't always easy to take 60min walks. WDW is a lot of walking. Even finding little ways to incorporate a little extra walking into one's daily routine is good, like taking the stairs instead of elevator.

The key is endurance. The greater your endurance, the more you'll be able to see at WDW. If walking for 6+ hours is too much for anyone in your party, consider having that person use a mobility device at WDW. They are very common at WDW: could be a stroller, wheelchair, electric scooter, etc. (though WDW does have rules on which they will allow.)

Last edited:
My opinion is you can't control the crowds, so don't read so much about it that you start panicing...you will have a fine trip regardless! Second, make sure you are aware of all the services, like genie +; and make reservations for restaurants that are a must well in advance.

If one of the things you love to do at disney is shop, then don't stress about what to bring, and go shopping...between disney springs and the outlet a short uber away, there is no need to stress and bring wet clothes, dry clothes, red clothes, warm clothes (my apoligies to dr. seuss).

If you aren't sure where you are staying, please stay at one of the resorts...well worth the money and stress free (like not worrying about parking)

They rent scooters for a reasonable price, consider one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter