• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trip with kids

Bryn

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I'm very new to the whole concept of Message boards but I love them so far. I'm going to WDW in Jan 2002. First trip with the kids : 2 yr old daughter and 11 yr old stepson. We're staying offsite (Sheraton Vistana) and will be returning every day for lunch & nap. I'm concerned about my s'son being bored while the baby naps. He doesn't speak English very well (but understands perfectly) so he wouldn't join any organized things at Vistana. Hubby is pretty adamant that this is a family vacation and hates the idea of 2 people staying in the parks while 2 are back in the room.

So I'm looking mostly for tips and ideas on how we can all have the best Disney vacation ever !!

Bryn
1996 - honeymoon Dixie Landings
1998 - Dolphin
2000 - 4 day Wonder cruis
2002 - Sheraton Vistana

I'm sure that you all could enjoy a break in the middle of the day, he could go for a swim, watch t.v., video games(does he have a game boy?), I had my son do a travel journal/scapbook to remember the trip- perhaps he could do something similar. Who knows, if he has a chance to relax he may even end up having a little nap as well! Bring a novel or activity books if he likes to read. Hope that some of these ideas are helpful!

Grover in Winnipeg
:smooth:

If you plan evening activities and also plan to get going early in the mornings (highly recommended, even if you don't do early entry), a mid-day rest will be as essential for your s'son and the grown-ups as for your little one. Touring WDW can be exhausting. A common mistake is not to rest mid-day because you don't "feel tired," only to feel you can't go another step by afternoon. Even if he doesn't sleep, he should have a little down time (like with the activities suggested by the previous poster). Assure him that you will all be up and running again in a couple of hours!

I agree with the last poster. Everyone should nap!!!! WDW vacation time is the only time my DD doesn't argue with me about napping. She knows we're all going to rest and then get up and go, go, go . . .

If your stepson doesn't need as much rest, one of you could go out to the pool with him while the little one finishes napping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter