First trip with DS7 after Lactose Intolerance Diagnosis

MrsKreamer

College Admissions Counselor
Hello everyone! We are a family of WDW veterans with our three boys. One of our boys has Autism so I have done several trips with behavioral modification, and food aversions. However my DS7 was recently diagnosed as Lactose Intolerant. Currently we have only removed drinking milk from his diet and replaced it with either Soy or Lactaid milk, and as long as other dairy containing foods are limited he is usually OK.

So two questions-
1. Are their milk alternatives readily available at the resort and/or quickservice locations?

2. I am also concerned about having quick access to restrooms...any advice for dealing with this?

1) In my experience, all resorts should have soy milk available. I don't recall seeing lactaid. I don't recall soy milk being available at most quick service places. It was at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot and Be our Guest in MK. It is also available at many restaurants. Many restaurants will also have dairy-free ice cream, but not all. You could also order from Garden Grocer, Amazon's grocery service, etc. I don't know when you're planning on going, but we went in the summer and because it was so hot, we didn't really bother with our toddler drinking much soy milk. He had it with dinner at restaurants, but that was about it. If you're not planning on dining at restaurants, consider just getting some at your resort and letting him drink it with breakfast in your room and/or before bed.

2) As for quick access to restrooms, I'm not really sure what you can do about that. There's no way to get priority access to restrooms. There may be some restrooms that generally have shorter lines, I don't know. Perhaps someone else can chime in about that. Otherwise, just try to stop at restrooms frequently and have everyone try to go if one person does.

You can give your son a lactase enzyme supplement and he will be able to eat dairy with no issues. You can do chewable Lactaid which needs to be taken before EVERY food containing dairy. Or, you can give him a once daily supplement every morning and not worry about eating whatever.

Lactose intolerance is literally the only food intolerance that has a legitimate OTC solution. No need to avoid dairy. All he needs is to take the enzyme his body doesn't produce.

My husband became lactose intolerant about 10 years ago. He has taken this every day since.

Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense Formula. Amazon has it cheapest.

If your son can't swallow pills (they are quite small), you can open the capsule and put it in a cup of juice or sprinkle it on something like applesauce or yogurt.

As fiar as your second question he will not be the first or last person to get sick and if he does get sick ( vomits) from drinking milk it will just have to be something that happens sometimes there is wonning sometimes not. ( my brother has this problem and has gotten sick in a number of places).

But your first question Disney is great at letting you know what foods are I things and they can let you know how much sometimes

As far as quick access to bathrooms, you may be best served by grabbing a paper map at the entrance to each Park, and circling the bathrooms. "Companion" or "Family" bathrooms are wonderful, but can often have a line, just like a any other restroom.

If you are concerned about vomiting, you can purchase coated-interior "airsickness" bags (or these bags which are like the ones our local hospital uses)

If you are concerned about toileting (specifically bowel movement) issues, you may have to address that with a combination of strategies, including potentially using an absorbent liner or disposable underpant to help keep him clean until you can get into a toilet.

Remember that First Aid at each Park will have a place where you can go if he needs to lie down for a while, or if he is having tummy trouble.

Hello everyone! We are a family of WDW veterans with our three boys. One of our boys has Autism so I have done several trips with behavioral modification, and food aversions. However my DS7 was recently diagnosed as Lactose Intolerant. Currently we have only removed drinking milk from his diet and replaced it with either Soy or Lactaid milk, and as long as other dairy containing foods are limited he is usually OK.

So two questions-
1. Are their milk alternatives readily available at the resort and/or quickservice locations?

2. I am also concerned about having quick access to restrooms...any advice for dealing with this?
if you find the nonrefrig soy milk boxes for your room try them with your child before your trip as not all kids will drink because of a different taste. years ago we used these with a grandson at school so he could have soy milk at lunch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter