First trip together

ohana1221

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!
This June my boyfriend and I will be taking a 6 day trip to Disney World for my 21st birthday. Since I grew up going to Disney, I of course already love it, however I am concerned about him having fun as it's hard for adults who didn't experience the magic growing up to suddenly fall in love with Disney. What are your suggestions for some things at Disney that even adults can't help falling in love with? Also, what are some things you would consider must-do or that make your disney trip special? We already are planning on visiting The California Grill (my family's tradition) and Be Our Guest.

I'd say don't try to cram everything in one trip. Nothing kills fun more than feeling pressure to see as much as possible.

I think he'll feed off of your enthusiasm. Show him your favorites.

Definitely watch the fireworks (MK, EP), especially the Star Wars fireworks. If Pandora is open be sure to hit that too.

I didn't grow up going to Disney. I was in my 30's when we started going. It hit me as an adult. I think it just depends on the individual. For me, it just taps something inside of me that really enjoys what Disney offers. So I think it will just depend on him as to whether or not he really takes to it. I like being embraced in the Disney atmosphere and forgetting about life's problems for a week. Bottom line, I don't think his age will have anything to do with it. It will either grab him or it won't. I hope you all have a great trip together. Hope you enjoy your birthday and I hope he enjoys Disney as much as you do.

Is he also of drinking age? Drinking around Epcot and trader Sam's would both Be fun. Make sure to use some water transport at times, boats can be romantic. Where are y'all stay staying?

Booze, good food and a nice hotel. Once people realize WDW isn't just a theme park I think they tend to like it much more.

When I took my SO for the first time we stayed deluxe, I planned some meals I knew he would love and nights of drinking. Epcot drinking around the world, Trader Sam's, Tambu Lounge, etc.

I think it does depend on the person. I only went to WDW twice as a kid and never thoughy much about it until about 7 years ago when I realized I was an adult and could take my own vacations. That first trip as an adult is what really hit me and made me a borderline obsessive Disney fan!

I do agree with others though that you want to make the trip as enjoyable as possible for him. Don't try to cram in everything. Have some nice, relaxing meals. Have him help in the planning so you know what he's into.

The ONE thing that really made me fall in love with Disney was actually MK Welcome Show, which is sadly no longer an option. I would definitely show him the most impressive shows. I think that the new Happily Ever After fireworks will have started by June and are sure to impress. The new Pandora stuff should also be a nice hook. Don't ignore the classics though. They endure for a reason, so Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder should all be on the list. If he prefers thrill rides, Rock'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror are good ones too.

Have fun!

Last edited:
By starting this thread, I think your already in a good head space for how to plan this out. He is going to want to experience, discover and have the extra time to see things you might just go past. He'll have his own style in the parks but you don't knwo what that is yet to find the compromise...

Make this trip about him and showing him some of what you love at disney. Plan for a very casual pace with lots of room for him to say "what's that?, lets try that". I would pick a couple he should like special meals that might only be at disney. Get fastpasses for the types of attractions he might be into. A thrill ride is probably a good guess. Maybe things like pirates so he can experience where the movies came from, etc etc etc. Just remember to take it slow, especially when you first get into magic kingdom.. let him look around, take it in.. he might want to listen to all the different street performers where you might be the one to run past them all to get to your favorite rides.. Rope drop is not going to be as important as he needs to look around at the same time so make sure you make it a vacation but still get a rope drop or two in if that is how you like doing it just don't have it be the first morning.. Wake up, get breakfast and casually enjoy the first park..

Basically, let him discover the place as you once did and have plenty of room to do that in your schedule..

I think you're on the right track with things like California Grill. It was a meal there that started my adult obsession with WDW (though I went a lot as a child-- grew up 2 hours away). It's nice to step away from the press of humanity, share a bottle of wine and a good meal, and still be able to experience the MK fireworks with a phenomenal view. Definitely do the rides and shows he wants in the park, definitely enjoy a drink or two or three in World Showcase, but also leave time to experience the resort offerings for grown ups like the watersport center at the Contemporary-- rent a boat or some other water craft and experience WDW that way, for example.

My DH is not a big Disney fan so, when he goes to WDW with us, I always throw in things I know he would like regardless of where we are vacationing - good restaurants, pool time, super-relaxed tour plans, a special tour. I would think about what your BF typically likes and plan from there. Is he a sports fan? Have lunch or dinner at ESPN. Does he like water sports? Maybe rent a boat one afternoon. Good food and drink? If he's of drinking age, you could try some of the offerings in World Showcase or go to some of the special lounges (Nomad, AbracadaBAR and, especially Trader Sam's are great). I think a good mix of WDW nostalgia for you and finding things he naturally has an interest in might do the trick. But, he may never love Disney the way you do. My DH certainly doesn't!

I think you're on the right track with things like California Grill. It was a meal there that started my adult obsession with WDW (though I went a lot as a child-- grew up 2 hours away). It's nice to step away from the press of humanity, share a bottle of wine and a good meal, and still be able to experience the MK fireworks with a phenomenal view. Definitely do the rides and shows he wants in the park, definitely enjoy a drink or two or three in World Showcase, but also leave time to experience the resort offerings for grown ups like the watersport center at the Contemporary-- rent a boat or some other water craft and experience WDW that way, for example.
I really like the idea of us renting a boat, he would probably enjoy that no matter what. I remember doing that when I was younger and staying at the beach club. Do they still do it there? I think I heard the contemporary rents them out as well.

By starting this thread, I think your already in a good head space for how to plan this out. He is going to want to experience, discover and have the extra time to see things you might just go past. He'll have his own style in the parks but you don't knwo what that is yet to find the compromise...

Make this trip about him and showing him some of what you love at disney. Plan for a very casual pace with lots of room for him to say "what's that?, lets try that". I would pick a couple he should like special meals that might only be at disney. Get fastpasses for the types of attractions he might be into. A thrill ride is probably a good guess. Maybe things like pirates so he can experience where the movies came from, etc etc etc. Just remember to take it slow, especially when you first get into magic kingdom.. let him look around, take it in.. he might want to listen to all the different street performers where you might be the one to run past them all to get to your favorite rides.. Rope drop is not going to be as important as he needs to look around at the same time so make sure you make it a vacation but still get a rope drop or two in if that is how you like doing it just don't have it be the first morning.. Wake up, get breakfast and casually enjoy the first park..

Basically, let him discover the place as you once did and have plenty of room to do that in your schedule..
Thats a good idea. I remember when I was telling him about all our fastpasses and reservations he looked overwhelmed. I'll clear a day for him to choose where we want to go and when.

I think it does depend on the person. I only went to WDW twice as a kid and never though much about it until about 7 years ago when I realized I was an adult and could take my own vacations. That first trip as an adult is what really hit me and made me a borderline obsessive Disney fan!

I do agree with others though that you want to make the trip as enjoyable as possible for him. Don't try to cram in everything. Have some nice, relaxing meals. Have him help in the planning so you know what he's into.

The ONE thing that really made me fall in love with Disney was actually MK Welcome Show, which is sadly no longer an option. I would definitely show him the most impressive shows. I think that the new Happily Ever After fireworks will have started by June and are sure to impress. The new Pandora stuff should also be a nice hook. Don't ignore the classics though. They endure for a reason, so Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder should all be on the list. If he prefers thrill rides, Rock'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror are good ones too.

Have fun!
CASEY JR COMING DOWN THE TRACK! I completely agree, it used to make me tear up watching that welcome show, it was just the classic way to start a WDW vacation and probably my top 3 most favorite parts of the trip. I booked us a breakfast at Ohana at the Polynesian to kick-start our first day with a positive experience, and we will likely stroll in after rope drop to explore in a relaxed pace. We don't much care for the characters (though we both think stitch is great), but he loves that kind of breakfast food and the Polynesian is beautiful!

Thats a good idea. I remember when I was telling him about all our fastpasses and reservations he looked overwhelmed. I'll clear a day for him to choose where we want to go and when.

just don't forget he is going to have questions, want to suddenly do something else or something will spark a childhood forgotten memory and you'll need the space to just let him spontaneously lead time to time in every day. He's also going to teach you things about WDW you've never noticed and you might want time to go off and explore new things you just walked past before.

It'll be a fun trip! It's not much different than a parent bringing their child to WDW the first time except your BF will be able to express himself better for what he wants to try and do.

Is he also of drinking age? Drinking around Epcot and trader Sam's would both Be fun. Make sure to use some water transport at times, boats can be romantic. Where are y'all stay staying?
For sure going to look into the boats. We are staying at all star sports (not very romantic but what we can afford on a college student budget, and staying on property is my top priority), however I think he'll still like it. His hotel experience is motel 6 and red roof inn.

I went to WDW as a child. My DW did not. The first time I took her to WDW, she was thinking it was for kids. We visited the parks in this order: Epcot, AK, DHS, MK, getting more magical as we went along. I did skip some of the more child-oriented attractions. When we got home and I asked her how she liked the trip, she said it was wonderful, but she wished we could have ridden Dumbo. I made sure we did just that as soon as possible.
If I were to give you a list of must-dos for me, it would be a list of most of the attractions, both rides and shows, in all four parks. Don't dismiss ANYTHING for a newbie. You never know what might hook them.
I greatly recommend including the classic rides and shows.

This is a great thread we started off with more universal rides Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. My other half liked them There is a special feeling at Disney and the atmosphere is great for everyone.

I was much the same way when my wife planned our first trip together. I had only done Disneyland as a kid a couple times and once as a teenager. No planning really at all. She kept talking about ADRs and FP+ and Christmas parties 8 months before our trip. She kept trying to get me to help her pick things but I mostly just let her and the travel agent plan it. I got there and fell in love with it. Everything she planned was amazing.

So, personally, I wouldn't push too much planning onto him. Be flexible if he wants to try something you didn't plan for, but don't make him try to decide where to eat 6 months out or what rides he wants at 60 days. You should probably plan to do most of that yourself with his general interests/personality in mind.

Hi everyone!
This June my boyfriend and I will be taking a 6 day trip to Disney World for my 21st birthday. Since I grew up going to Disney, I of course already love it, however I am concerned about him having fun as it's hard for adults who didn't experience the magic growing up to suddenly fall in love with Disney. What are your suggestions for some things at Disney that even adults can't help falling in love with? Also, what are some things you would consider must-do or that make your disney trip special? We already are planning on visiting The California Grill (my family's tradition) and Be Our Guest.
Pandora is a must, the rides are like Pirates and Sorin on steroids. Make sure you take the time to do them you wont regret it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter