First Trip to SSR 10/16-10/21 Trip Review

Sorry about that, here's the review

A First Timers SSR Trip Report

DH and I just got back from a great 5 night stay at SSR. This was our first stay at a DVC resort. We toured SSR on our May trip but ended up buying a resale at VWL since that is the area we love the most. I admit I think it was hard to have a completely unbiased view of SSR since I had read so many reports on this board both negative and positive. So with that introduction here is my review.

We arrived at SSR approx 11:30 am on Sunday October 16. There were a few people in line at check-in and a manager was talking to all the people in line and introducing himself (nice touch). Check in was prompt and we were given a choice of 2 studios in Congress Park (CP) with a slight DTD view (both rooms were on an angle). We picked one and then were off to DTD as our room was not yet ready. After returning from DTD we probably waited another 90 minutes until our room was finally ready (just after 3:00). Then we just walked over and our luggage was delivered promptly. We were in Studio 1236 in Congress Park. It was on the 2nd floor and a lock off. We faced towards the Cirque tent and House of Blues. The room location was fantastic. We were in the farthest building of CP and it was a 5 minute walk to the Marketplace along the water. We also were just steps from the bus stop and the quiet pool in our section. Our entire stay I never heard a peep from our neighbours (maybe we didn’t have any). We did occasionally hear a toilet flushing from above though. Our room was in excellent condition and had no housekeeping/maintenance issues at all.

We did not have a rental car so relied solely on the busses which were actually a pleasant surprise. We rarely waited the stated 20 min, usually more like 10 and only once were we ever on a bus with people standing and that was at midnight after MNSSHP.

The walk to the main pool and Carriage House area was about 7-10 minutes depending on how fast we were moving and how hot it was. When we were lazy we would just hop the first bus that came by the CP bus stop since they always went to the Springs after CP.

I found the cast members at Artist Palette and in the store very friendly and helpful and the lifeguards at the main pool were also very nice. We enjoyed watching the kids participate in the various activities and liked using the pool noodles from the bike rental place (which were free). The Donald Splash pad area was working about 90%, one spout didn’t seem to work properly. The zero entry was really nice and I can see how it’s great for young children.

We spent most of our pool time though at the CP quiet pool. This was such a welcome oasis from the hustle and bustle. I don’t think there were ever more than 4 or 5 other families there at one time. It was also great to swim in at night with the view of DTD all lit up. Even a the main pool in the heat of the day we never had to hunt for chairs or shade there was always lots to go around. Both pools were also heated to a very nice warm temperature – we never had to cringe when entering the water!

We never ate at Artist Palette so I can’t comment on that but it was such a short walk to DTD, the lack of a full service restaurant was not an issue for us. If we had been in a building further from Downtown Disney though we may have felt differently.

I can understand why some people say it is so spread out. I think the 3rd phase that is currently under construction will seem quite remote from the other areas when it is done.

Although we had a great stay and will stay there again in the future, we are happy that we didn’t buy at SSR because for us it just didn’t have that “magic” that VWL and some other Disney resorts do. We know with the size of SSR, we’ll likely be able to stay there anytime but the smaller resorts like VWL will increasingly become more difficult to book.

The lady at check-in mentioned that everyone requests Congress Park with a Downtown Disney view and I can see why as this is the area of the resort that has it all: a great waterfront view of Downtown Disney, a convenient walk to the Marketplace with its shops and restaurants, and a beautiful, large quiet pool that was really quiet. We also toured around BCV and gave each other the look of “this is where we want to add on someday”.

Another interesting thing. DH and I are a young couple with no kids and didn't see any other couples like us. At the Members Meeting I think we were the youngest couple there. I don't know if that is unique to SSR but I guess we will find out with further stays.

Hope everyone has found this helpful and I will be happy to answer any questions.

thanks for the trip report--we stay for the first time at SSR on Sunday.
We are hoping for CP, as we spend a lot of time at DTD! :wizard:

BTW, DH and I are a young couple without kids, so we are out there!!!!!!!! :)

Rozzie~Good to know :)

Liferbabe~You're welcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter