First Trip to DL - One day Only - Any advice welcome

Cinderella94

I miss my tags!
Hi all!

This is my first time ever visiting the DL forum - I consider myself pretty knowledgable about WDW, and I'm a planner (I'm all about rope drop, making our FPs in advance and making ADRs) but DL is completely foreign to me. We're visiting Aulani this January for our honeymoon and are going to stop and spend one night at Disneyland on the way there (we live on the east coast). Haven't booked flights yet, but are envisioning landing at LAX around 10:20 AM, checking into one of the resort hotels and then going straight to DL for the day. If this past January's park hours hold true for next year as well, the park will be open until midnight.

I'm not even sure what questions I have - my Birnbaums book and Unofficial Guide are on their way in the mail. Is it too broad of a question to just ask, what should my general game plan be for the day? I'm currently only envisioning doing DL and not DCA - is this a good plan? Any and all advice, however lengthy or short, is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

....then let us help you narrow down the questions....

what day of the week?
are you into Disney history or ride as many as you can?
thrill rides or story telling texture?
eat on the go or need a sit down
Parades or bucket list attractions
do you mind riding the same attraction over and over?

Start with this thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. Come on back with any questions (that thread will help you know what/how to ask)!
Perfect! Thank you, I will definitely read that thread.

....then let us help you narrow down the questions....

what day of the week? Saturday (January 19th)
are you into Disney history or ride as many as you can? a little bit of both worlds? For my fiancee's sake, I'll lean toward the riding more side.
thrill rides or story telling texture? Either. Both are good
eat on the go or need a sit down I haven't decided on this one. In WDW, we definitely do 1 sit down meal per day to break up the day, but since our time here will be so limited, I'm thinking on the go might be better.
Parades or bucket list attractions Not super interested in parades
do you mind riding the same attraction over and over? Not necessarily, but I'm curious about what makes you ask this :)

Answers in red. Thank you!

Definitely do park hoppers -- the parks are so close together at DLR that they are llke one big park where you can go back and forth quite easily. Cars Land at night is magical -- Neon Lighting on Rte. 66 and RSR is a different ride at night. Look into doing the WOC Dessert Party as a treat. A very fun luxury treat to end your day! (And if DL closes later than DCA, which is usually the case, you can hop over to DL after WOC is over.) Even for not-so-into-parades people, PTN is awesome. (Think the MSEP on steroids -- you can find videos on YouTube to get a sample.)

Defnitely do park hoppers -- the parks are so close together at DLR that they are llke one big park where you can go back and forth quite easily. Look into doing the WOC Dessert Party as a treat. A very fun luxury treat to end your day! (And if DL closes later than DCA, which is usually the case, you can hop over to DL after WOC is over.)
Thank you!!

Is it silly to ask if it's common/likely for DL to reach capacity on a weekend day in January? Especially given that we will not be arriving at park opening?

...Is it silly to ask if it's common/likely for DL to reach capacity on a weekend day in January? Especially given that we will not be arriving at park opening?

DLR has different levels of "capacity closure" -- the first level meaning that one day tickets stop being sold at the booths (so you wouldn't even be affected if you already had your tickets purchased) -- so the chance of the parks hitting level 5 (all gates shut to all comers) is exceedingly low. Even when that level happens, it usually only happens in one park (and usually DL) for several hours (not all day) until enough guests leave to allow more people into the park. Highly unlikely to happen in mid-January (although not impossible -- weird things do happen). Don't worry about it. And, if you have hoppers, you can always just go into the other park until things calm down!
By the way, with one day only, the earlier you can try to arrive, the better. The early hours at DLR are really helpful for getting a lot done.

DLR has different levels of "capacity closure" -- the first level meaning that one day tickets stop being sold at the booths (so you wouldn't even be affected if you already had your tickets purchased) -- so the chance of the parks hitting level 5 (all gates shut to all comers) is exceedingly low. Even when that level happens, it usually only happens in one park (and usually DL) for several hours (not all day) until enough guests leave to allow more people into the park. Highly unlikely to happen in mid-January (although not impossible -- weird things do happen). Don't worry about it. And, if you have hoppers, you can always just go into the other park until things calm down!
By the way, with one day only, the earlier you can try to arrive, the better. The early hours at DLR are really helpful for getting a lot done.
This makes me feel better. Thank you! Yes, we're definitely going to take the earliest flight there is and head over as soon as we drop off luggage!

I mean, if you're landing at LAX at 10:20, getting luggage, renting a car/getting to a shuttle, getting to the DLR, and checking into a hotel... you're going to be very fortunate to be in the parks by noon. 12:30 would be more realistic. That's certainly not ideal. Even with Maxpass, you're going to have limited ride opportunities... Idk, I'd probably skip hoppers and just do DL (and I'm normally the BIGGEST proponent of hoppers for one-day trips... but you're really talking a half-day trip).

I would really try to come in the night before. Midnight in CA is 3:00am east coast time and you will have been traveling half the day from the east coast before you even set foot in the parks. Maybe I’m doing the math wrong but it sounds like you would be up for nearly 24 hours.

If you'll be staying at one of the on site hotels, you'll get one hour early entry at one of the parks (they alternate -- for Saturday, 1/19/19, it should be for DL), so it would be a total shame to waste that perk. That extra hour can really make a difference. Also, just an idea, would it be possible to do one park on your arrival before Aulani and one park on your way back before you go home? Then you could really focus on one park at a time. January will be low peak scheduling (so nightly entertainment on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays only). Your first visit could focus on DL and get the nighttime entertainment. Your return visit could focus on DCA and the offerings there. Again, just throwing out ideas...

Can you add a day in Anaheim. The effort to get there for half a day is just...ahem... a waste. (Cover my eyes!!). Lol I thought you were landing at 10:20 am and were going to the parks the next day. I was going to say why don’t you take a nap and go that first day too?!

Thank you all! Now that that's out of the way....I think I'm going to prioritize the rides that are not at WDW and the rides that you always hear are vastly different than WDW. I'm thinking: Indiana Jones, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Matterhorn, Mr. Toad, Space Mountain, Pirates. Not in any particular order. Is this too ambitious for one day? I imagine Space Mountain is the go-to place at rope drop; is one of those rides an obvious second stop?

You really need to add parkhopping and do DCA. Carsland is absolutely amazing and you want to miss Guardians.

You really need to add parkhopping and do DCA. Carsland is absolutely amazing and you want to miss Guardians.
I'm totally open to this idea! Do you think it would be too difficult/we'd be waiting in lines forever if we tried to do both those rides I mentioned above and DCA?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter