FIrst trip to DIsneyLand...stroller options? hotel preferance?

camnhan

DIS Veteran
So we will be traveling to CA with our son who has Down Syndrome in April. we have done many trips to Disney World but this will be our first to DisneyLand. Anyone ever rent a special needs stroller around DL? What service? He is 18 and 112 lbs so needs a larger special needs one.
Anyone have recommendations for hotels in the area? We will do a few days in Anaheim as my niece will be singing there with her school choir. Planning on maybe San Diego/ocean stay as well if anyone has recommendations to stay around there as well.
SO SO SO excited!!! I can't wait for him to see Cars Land!!!

I have an adult with Downs and Autism. We bought a Conviad chair years ago, he is about 160 pounds, 5'8". It was very expensive but I liked that it is more like a giant stroller and the seat angles back vs a WC that is straight up at a 90 degrees angle. (My son tends to lean forward too much). We gate check it on the plane. He normally never uses it, just on vacations and day trips. Only downside, it is somewhat heavy and does not fold up small, but does fold up.

I stay at the 3 Disney hotels at DL, so I have no advice on the multiple offsite hotels there. GC is of course the easiest, closest and most expensive.

I have an adult with Downs and Autism. We bought a Conviad chair years ago, he is about 160 pounds, 5'8". It was very expensive but I liked that it is more like a giant stroller and the seat angles back vs a WC that is straight up at a 90 degrees angle. (My son tends to lean forward too much). We gate check it on the plane. He normally never uses it, just on vacations and day trips. Only downside, it is somewhat heavy and does not fold up small, but does fold up.

I stay at the 3 Disney hotels at DL, so I have no advice on the multiple offsite hotels there. GC is of course the easiest, closest and most expensive.
We have talked about purchasing a stroller a couple times but are in the same situation...he only would use it when we are at Disney :) Just haven't been able to justify the cost for 7 days or so a year....

No recommendation on renting a stroller - it does seem like there's a lot less options in DL than WDW - but we're fans of the Candy Cane Inn. The only street you have to cross to get to the DL gates is the bus entrance, it's got complimentary continental breakfast. They don't have any suite-type rooms, though, and I haven't slept 3 adults in their rooms (just 2 adults, 2 kids).

We love the Candy Cane, too. Excellent customer service, generous continental breakfast, very clean rooms and grounds, private shuttle with friendly drivers (the drivers helped my mom in and out of the shuttle every trip!). We get 2 connecting Premium Rooms (larger rooms, small refrigerator, microwave, breakfast delivered to the room, etc.) which work like a suite for us -- 4 queen beds, 2 bathrooms. Very good experiences there. CCI gets very good reviews on this board. They offer various discounts, so call to see if you qualify for something.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like Candy Cane is available for our dates :( maybe because it has such a good reputation. Not sure what is going on the week we are there because seems like a lot of places or booked up :(

Unfortunately conferences at the convention center tend to fill up all the surrounding hotels, that's a bummer. You could always try calling and asking - they're really such nice people!

Would he be able to do a wheelchair instead of a stroller, if it's mostly needed for mobility?

We have talked about purchasing a stroller a couple times but are in the same situation...he only would use it when we are at Disney :) Just haven't been able to justify the cost for 7 days or so a year....
How much does it cost?
For how many years/trips will he use it?

Not necessary to post the numbers here, but broken down by per day cost (and consider that rental prices could increase), a purchase could essily and ultimately save you money.

We have stayed at the Howard Johnson's there when DS was 4.5 (autism dx). This time we are staying at the fairfield inn on harbor Blvd. We have a suite and are traveling with my mom. We wanted something we could walk to/from. We are renting a wheelchair for our time at Disneyland from Apple scooter. It is about 50 dollars for the days that we are there. DS though is now 15 and 5'10" and about 200lb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!