First trip in March!

Cmmdcm

Earning My Ears
Hi! We have our first trip in March and I’m so excited as are the kids. The kids and I have done DL dozens of times without my husband. My husband is begrudgingly going for my birthday ( he’s an outdoor “let’s take the kids fishing” type of guy and views Disney as nothing but consumerism at its finest.) He sees Disney just as a billion dollar company that “preys” on the average person creating nothing but sheep following what is deemed as “fun”. Yet, he’s going- he’s bought Mickey shirts, and is interested in a few lands (Pandora and TSL).
I’m dreading the trip at times because I know his bad mood and attitude will get the best of me even though I’ve told myself to ignore him. I think he’ll be ok some of the days but the majority, likely not. I have gotten mad at him a few times stating if he doesn’t want to go, then he should just stay home. This is the first trip ever to take as a whole family and in 14 years, I’m finally getting it but I guess he doesn’t view it as anything. Any advice to help him not be so analytical of the whole Disney “thing” or tips to have him enjoy his time?

This is a tough one - were you able to get him to give input around things everyone needs ( no matter the type of vacation ) - like meals? Which resort will you be at? Maybe there are some opportunities to do outdoorsy things there that he may enjoy too.

Maybe even an afternoon fishing excursion for him.

My dad's not a huge Disney fan, he's not big on crowds so that never helped when we were young. He tells us now that we are all adults that he focused on the fact that us kids were having fun and that made it fun for him.

We are at Animal Kingdom lodge. I thought he’d enjoy it and I think he will. I ask his input on things but he says “I dont know” . He doesn’t try to look up things on WDW on his own. He makes me feel lame for all this planning and talking about it with the kids. I’ve offered a fishing excursion Disney offered but he says “it’s too expensive”. I’m so stressed about everything- from the very early flight to hearing how we’re using up his Spring Break to do this.
For over a decade, I’ve gone on family camping/fishing trips because I know he loves them. I’m ok with them and always do my best to make it good for everyone. Just wish I was treated with the same kindness..

Last edited:
I feel you I live that everyday.... you can bring in food so pack lots of his fave snacks. Keeping everyone fed seems to help everyone. Stay organized know where you are going. Plan for times of rest. My kids still talk about last year.... right across from splash kingdom there is checker table made from wood, and ducks in a covered bridge area. We just chilled eating icecream.... Its also a smoking area btw but there are others like it around

We are at Animal Kingdom lodge. I thought he’d enjoy it and I think he will. I ask his input on things but he says “I dont know” . He doesn’t try to look up things on WDW on his own. He makes me feel lame for all this planning and talking about it with the kids. I’ve offered a fishing excursion Disney offered but he says “it’s too expensive”. I’m so stressed about everything- from the very early flight to hearing how we’re using up his Spring Break to do this.
For over a decade, I’ve gone on family camping/fishing trips because I know he loves them. I’m ok with them and always do my best to make it good for everyone. Just wish I was treated with the same kindness..

Sometimes, unfortunately, you have to make those trips without your other half. My Disney trip in 2015 was NOTHING like I wanted it to be. I was quite disappointed. Husband was VERY overweight and couldn't be in the parks as often as I wanted to be or as long as I wanted to be. He wasn't up for going back to the parks after resting at the resort. So because daddy wasn't going, my then 7 year old son stayed behind too. My son was also afraid of the dark then and anything in the dark was a no....except Test Track. Creating his own car and then having to ride to find out if he won was the distraction for that one. My husband has never really been a "Disney fan". But has always gone because of me and my love for it. In the car on the way home from that trip he suggested to me maybe going with a girlfriend next time who has a love for Disney such as I so I would have a better time. I suggested maybe it just being me and our son when he gets older....husband said he had no problem with that at all.

So this year is that year. Just my son and I. I made a concession with my husband since he can't be there, that we would meet up with some old friends, ones we've known for over 20 years. That way, if something goes wrong, my son and I have someone we can call for help and my husband won't have to worry. They are only an hour from the parks and said they can't wait to meet up with me and my son in June! Like you, any other family trips we take, I always make sure to include something I know my husband will enjoy. This March I was planning to buy tickets for him and a friend to go see a Hawks game in Atlanta. He hasn't decided yet, but the offer is there if he decides yes. We live in the Panhandle so it's only about a 5 hour trip to Atlanta from where we live. Disney is 6 1/2 hours away and I'm okay making that drive without his help. I did it when I was on the College Program with no problem...and I can do it now being much older and a much more seasoned driver.

Please forgive me, but if all he's doing now is complaining.....using up his spring break, the fishing excursion is too expensive, how is he going to be once there? I remember how I felt not during certain points in our 2015 trip. I know our situations are way different, but that's not something you should be feeling while on vacation in Disney. I'm sure at this point it's too late to ask him to just stay behind, because his ticket has been purchased. But you are definitely going to have to decide how to handle things once there. Maybe have a day with just you and the kids in the park and let your husband hang back at the resort and do whatever it is he finds interesting. No matter what, I hope you enjoy your first trip to Disney World in March!

My husband enjoys Disney but rides and tons of walking aren't his thing. Crazy huh. After our 1st trip we've found what works for us it to spend time apart. If he's tired he goes back and naps or just watches a movie and me and DD keep going in the parks. We make sure to fit in more shows than I would care for because that's something my husband enjoys. It seems like maybe your husband might really enjoy Epcot and all the shows the countries do. Yes the gift shops are trying to make a buck but I think the shows and performances for each country is a nice change to the standard "theme park" feel. Have a great trip! FYI, we're going in March too. It's so close I can't stand it :cutie:

Standing in long queues is the most tiring thing. So, if you want your husband to enjoy Disney make sure you visit those rides first which doesn't have a long queue. Once, he starts to enjoy the trip then you can try more rides. I hope you have fun. Enjoy your trip.

I always find a good nap mid afternoon gets me refreshed for the rest of the day while the family keeps on trucking in the parks.

Plan something for just him like a deep sea fishing trip. They can't all be too expensive, book him on a head boat out of Daytona. They are less than $100 per person. Surprise him. He can Uber or shuttle to the beach.

Plan something for just him like a deep sea fishing trip. They can't all be too expensive, book him on a head boat out of Daytona. They are less than $100 per person. Surprise him. He can Uber or shuttle to the beach.

The original post was before her trip in March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!