First trip in 6 years

disneykins

DIS Veteran
We are going to Disneyworld in Feb. 2019, its our first trip in 6 years after doing 2 trips a year for 25 years. We own at OKW and will be staying there. We considered ourselves experts at doing the parks, early opens, Fast Passes, using the bus system. But wow, have things changed in 6 years. We like to plan everything in advance as much as possible so I'm guessing we'll like the new FastPass system, but what else do we need to know? We don't do the dining (usually eat at OKW) but do all the rides and shows.

My question is where do we start? I'll be reading a lot of threads in the coming weeks but is there a place to get all the basic info? We are DVC members and will buy our first annual passes (probably the gold pass). We are early 60s, no kids on this trip.

Thanks,
Tony

We are going to Disneyworld in Feb. 2019, its our first trip in 6 years after doing 2 trips a year for 25 years. We own at OKW and will be staying there. We considered ourselves experts at doing the parks, early opens, Fast Passes, using the bus system. But wow, have things changed in 6 years. We like to plan everything in advance as much as possible so I'm guessing we'll like the new FastPass system, but what else do we need to know? We don't do the dining (usually eat at OKW) but do all the rides and shows.

My question is where do we start? I'll be reading a lot of threads in the coming weeks but is there a place to get all the basic info? We are DVC members and will buy our first annual passes (probably the gold pass). We are early 60s, no kids on this trip.

Thanks,
Tony

Not much has changed except for FP+.
Just read the first several posts of both of the FP+ stickies.

Thanks,
Tony

You have a great base of knowledge! I'd say just remember to do your FP's at 60 days in advance and you can do them for every day of your trip all at once, which you probably already know. The FP threads here are a great resource for all of that. If you do want certain Advance Dining Reservations, that is at 180 days out, and there are certain places that are really hard to get, so if you think you have any desire to eat somewhere, go ahead and book your ADR's (it now takes a credit card to reserve them and there is a 10 dollar no-show fee per person, can't remember how long that has been around). I would add that I think the food has gotten better over the past several years, with a lot more choices.

The Festival of the Arts may be going on in EPCOT when you are there for something extra to see, and some unique food offerings. Minnie Vans are now available through the lyft app to go various places on property for 20 dollars a ride. There are new tours offered and dessert parties for various shows/fireworks if any of that appeals.

Thanks. I'm reading the FP stuff now. Confusing but I'm sure I'll figure it out. lol. What about wrist bands? What is MDX? Magical Express? And some of the abbreviations, I have no idea. I read something about express buses. We haven't seen some of the newer movies either, like Frozen so I guess we'd better do that too.

Thanks. I'm reading the FP stuff now. Confusing but I'm sure I'll figure it out. lol. What about wrist bands? What is MDX? Magical Express? And some of the abbreviations, I have no idea. I read something about express buses. We haven't seen some of the newer movies either, like Frozen so I guess we'd better do that too.

MDX: My Disney Experience. (Click HERE. Fill out the "forms.")

"Express Buses" are gone.

They had "Magical Express" (free rides from and to the airport for WDW resort guests) six years ago.

Last edited:

My Disney Experience (MDE or MDX) is the hub for tickets, Fastpasses, reservations, etc... you access it through a website or smartphone app; https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/

One of you will want to have an account at least. Both of you can, or one of you can and manage the other person's info. The Magic bands are linked to your account on MDE, they are wrist bands you wear that let you "tap" into tapstiles (like old turnstiles), so you get into the park with your band that is linked on your MDE to your tickets. And your tickets are in MDE as well. Disney's Magical Express is the bus transport from Orlando's International airport to Disney hotels. It's free, you just have to register for it. It takes you to the hotel and will return you to the airport.

Most of the new movies are cute, but it's not absolutely necessary to see them. If you do like Disney films though, I do recommend them.

ETA; as Robo said above, the express buses that went from park to park are gone (it was just a trial), but Disney's Magical Express to and from the airport still exists.

Two other things I thought of; parking fees at resorts were implemented. If you have a vehicle parked at your resort, you now pay a daily fee that is added at the end of your stay. And, they've implemented "security checks" where your room has to be entered or looked over once per day in some form. Housekeeping counts, so if they come to empty your trash, that is considered a check. If there is no housekeeping at all, a security CM will usually come around once a day to do the check.

I haven't been in 5 years. We are going in September this year. I agree a lot does seem to have changed, but I think if you familiarize yourself with the fastpasses, (as I am attempting to do) - lol. We should both be ok. :)

Downtown Disney went through a huge overhaul and is now called Disney Springs. Lots of great restaurants and entertainment in the area now with lots of new shopping opportunities now.

Two other things I thought of; parking fees at resorts were implemented. If you have a vehicle parked at your resort, you now pay a daily fee that is added at the end of your stay. And, they've implemented "security checks" where your room has to be entered or looked over once per day in some form. Housekeeping counts, so if they come to empty your trash, that is considered a check. If there is no housekeeping at all, a security CM will usually come around once a day to do the check.

OP since you are DVC staying at a DVC resort you will not be charged parking fees.

My Disney Experience (MDE or MDX) is the hub for tickets, Fastpasses, reservations, etc... you access it through a website or smartphone app; https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/

One of you will want to have an account at least. Both of you can, or one of you can and manage the other person's info. The Magic bands are linked to your account on MDE, they are wrist bands you wear that let you "tap" into tapstiles (like old turnstiles), so you get into the park with your band that is linked on your MDE to your tickets. And your tickets are in MDE as well. Disney's Magical Express is the bus transport from Orlando's International airport to Disney hotels. It's free, you just have to register for it. It takes you to the hotel and will return you to the airport.

Most of the new movies are cute, but it's not absolutely necessary to see them. If you do like Disney films though, I do recommend them.

ETA; as Robo said above, the express buses that went from park to park are gone (it was just a trial), but Disney's Magical Express to and from the airport still exists.
FYI, If they are both DVC and on the deed, their same DVC online account/logon/password will work for MDE.

We haven’t been in nearly 6 years and I feel so much has changed/been added. FP+ blew my mind at first but now I think I have the hang of it due in large part to the folks here. There’s Pandora now in AK, Toy Story Land in DHS. DTD is now Disney Springs and it looks better than ever (from the pics anyway). There are Magic Bands and MDE, the WDW app.

Our trip is in less than 3 weeks. Hopefully I’ve done enough homework. Enjoy the planning. pixiedust:

Yes, sorry, I should have added that you shouldn't be charged a parking fee, but that is one new thing to check after your stay; make sure they don't charge you if you are DVC, as there have been some mistakes made as the policy rolls out. People coming in on DME (Disney's Magical Express) have even been charged when they don't have a car there at all, and there's been at least one person staying on DVC points that got charged as well and then when reported, Disney removed the charge. On my recent trip I had to repeat myself several times that I came in on DME and I didn't have a car there.

You probably realize this, but if you are buying annual passholder tickets, do it well before 60 days before your trip (instead of waiting to buy them when you arrive). This will give you time to create an online account on My Disney Experience and link your tickets to magic bands that will be mailed out to you. You cannot make advanced fastpasses without tickets being linked on your account.

*You can buy your annual passes and have them set to not 'activate' until you arrive at Disney. This way, you can still use the ticket number to book things, but will get the full year out of your pass from the start of your trip date instead of from the date of purchase. Hope that makes sense!

*You can buy your annual passes and have them set to not 'activate' until you arrive at Disney.
Guests do not need to have their new AP's "set not to activate."

APs simply cannot be activated except by the guest being at a WDW park gate.
Buying in advance (which IS the way to go, as you said) will be an AP "certificate" which will allow FP+ to be booked before the trip.
The "certificate" must be then registered, in-person by the guest at a WDW guest relations or ticket booth and THEN, only become a live AP when the guest uses that AP to enter a park gate.

Welcome back to the Disney obsession. The decision to purchase Annual Passes is a giveaway. We are Disney snowbirds with Gold APs. We decided that we just didn't enjoy visiting during the holiday crowds so the Gold passes made sense for us.

By all means get your APs early and be ready for the 60 day FP+ bookings. If you are a planner then MDE and FP+ will be right up your alley. Our visits to the parks tend to be more spur of the moment though I do try and find a couple of 'day of' FP's to shorten the wait in a couple of lines.

Send some time here on DISboards and I suspect you will get your questions answered and pick up on what is going on in the World. Also move your cursor to the Walt Disney World tab up at the top of this page and explore the sub topics that are displayed. The Theme Park section will get you all of the current info on the parks.
Wishing you a pixiedust: trip!

I haven't been since 2012 and, yes, much has changed. I like to plan, but I don't overly like this overplanning. I'm used to getting FastPasses when I arrive at the park. Since I planned a last minute trip, not having such great luck but it's okay. I also usually have a tentative plan on which days I will do which parks but I often shift them around based on weather. Can't really do that now if you got a good fast pass.

I've spent the last few weeks playing around on the app and I think I've got it now!!

You are getting great advice and good for you for asking! In general the crowds are going to be MUCH thicker than 6 years ago. Rope drop IS your best friend. Use your FP for late morning/early afternoon and utilize RD for getting a lot done. Saturdays at the MK are a mess of congestions--stay away. AK and MK seem to be the most miserably crowded parks by 1 pm and no doubt AK is the hottest - though I understand new TS land is broiling.

I'm sure you've already guessed that food prices have risen and the dining plan continues to dumb down the menus into all things generic. There are exceptions of course! Boma, Tusker House, Jiko, Kona Café, The Wave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter