First trip in 15 years

Kbone67

Earning My Ears
HI,
I know its still early but I'm planning a Disney trip for May of 2019. I wanted to go May of 2018, but I had both my daughters get married within the past year, one was in Hawaii....so I'm broke and have to save. I love Disney and my last time there was in 2003 when my girls were still little. I was a single mom at the time and we went with my parents. I've been remarried for 6 years and my husband has never been to Disney and he's not a big fan. I think he just doesn't know what he's missing and after I get him to Disney he will come around. Whenever a new Disney movie comes out he does watch it with me and admits he likes them...I sometimes catch him singing "you're welcome". LOL. So I need to get reacquainted with Disney. I know ALOT has changed since I've been there. Last time I was there I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. I think my husband would like that resort, I read there is a jazz band that plays there and he likes jazz. Plus, I think he would like the boat ride that goes to downtown Disney (or whatever its called now). I know the meal plan and wrist bands are new since I've been there. One thing I would like to do is eat at the restaurant in Cinderellas castle. I've never done that, but other then that were not picky about where we eat. I think my hubby will like epcot. I just want to get acquainted with this site again so I can plan my trip and make it enjoyable for my husband. It will just be the two of us, no kids. My husband thought it was weird, going to Disney without kids but I told him Disney is for everyone. I know its still early to plan but I just wanted to get some tips and ideas to make this trip enjoyable for my hubby. I know last time I planned my Disney trip there were parades only certain nights of the week, so I want to plan which park we go to on which day so we can see the parades and make dinner reservations well in advance. Also, I'm not sure if I should go through a travel agent or book through Disney vacations. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

This whole site is full of advice - not sure specifically what you are looking for. I can tell you my wife and I go without the kids every now and again (for Food & Wine Festival), and it's a blast. The parks have changed tremendously in the last 15 years, so things will be a little different - you need to be much more cognizant of making dining plans and Fast Pass reservations as soon as possible these days. If you really want Cinderella's Castle, for example, your best bet is to book your hotel stay, and then calendar to be up as soon as the system opens 180 days ahead of your checkin date to make Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) - you can make them beginning on 180 days from your checkin day, but can make them for your whole stay - so if you are staying onsite for 7 days, you can actually make an ADR for your last day 187 days ahead of time. Certain ultra popular places to eat (Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, Ohana) require you basically be up at 6am 185 days or more before you want to eat, to book a spot. I know - it's ridiculous (makes me really miss the early Epcot days where you walked into the park, walked to a video terminal, and made a dinner reservation for that night).

A Travel Agent can be helpful if you haven't booked your own trip in a while. Dreams Unlimited Travel sponsors the Dis Boards, and does a weekly video podcast which can be super helpful to planning a trip. I have never used a travel agent, but some people find them very helpful, and I don't believe they cost you anything (they get paid by Disney for booking your trip).

Good luck, welcome to the site, and feel free to ask anything - people here are always very friendly and have a TREMENDOUS amount of knowledge ... too much sometimes :)

One thing to think about, I think Star Wars land is not opening until summer of 2019 -- so you'll likely be missing that if you go in 2019. Of course, if you don't like crowds and are not a fan of star Wars, then that's a good thing.

Make sure you hit up Epcot for their Flowers & Garden festival. While it might sound lame to most guys, they have food and drink booths all around the world, so you get to try a bunch of different foods/wines/beers while you stroll around.

Same here! I last went to Disney World in 2002, but have a trip with extended family in the works for next June.

For fun, google What's Changed at Disney since and put in the year you were last there. That's a fun way to start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts