First Timer to Disneyland

nandm92574

Mouseketeer
Ok so the Disboards made my Aulani trip so magical I figure who best to go to for our first trip to Disneyland. We are seasoned (LOL) Disneyworld vacationers but Disneyland looks different and I just need some expert advice. So we are coming in on Father's day weekend. We want to stay on property because you are guaranteed something for the Galaxy Edge a pass (I don't know). Galaxy Edge though really isn't a necessity don't kill me i'm just not that hyped. Its just my husband and I. It will only be for two days. A Saturday and Sunday. Hotel recommendations? Park hoppers? Must do rides? Dining? DVC members get any discounts here? Any pointers would be great. We plan on waking up early and closing down the place!!!

Ok so the Disboards made my Aulani trip so magical I figure who best to go to for our first trip to Disneyland. We are seasoned (LOL) Disneyworld vacationers but Disneyland looks different and I just need some expert advice. So we are coming in on Father's day weekend. We want to stay on property because you are guaranteed something for the Galaxy Edge a pass (I don't know). Galaxy Edge though really isn't a necessity don't kill me i'm just not that hyped. Its just my husband and I. It will only be for two days. A Saturday and Sunday. Hotel recommendations? Park hoppers? Must do rides? Dining? DVC members get any discounts here? Any pointers would be great. We plan on waking up early and closing down the place!!!
You can only do SWGE until June 23 by staying onsite.

IMO parkhoppers are not required for a 2 day trip but are always nice to have, especially with the two parks being so close together.

Lots of newbie info is in the sticky thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...iews-hydroguys-tips-newbie-info-here.1072276/

Here are some links to help:

"What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/
"Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/
"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

I personally would get a park hopper. They are less then a football field away from each other. Especially since it is your first visit I would want to be able to see both parks.

If you will be wanting to see nighttime shows, look into reserving dining packages for the best views with the least wait time. F! is almost unanimously voted to be the better show at DLR (but WDW is unanimously voted to have better seating!). The dining packages (BB, RBT, HB -- in order from $$$ to $) have the best views: most centered, up front, right at the water's edge. All ground seating, and BB guests get a souvenir cushion to sit on. WOC has several packages: 2 lunch/dinner packages (CCR and WCT) and a Dessert Party (the only option with a chair -- this is a pricey package, but a good investment for only one shot at this show). For only two nights, I would invest in a package for each show.

Park hoppers are nice, but not essential as long as you can go to both parks.

Here are the rides I always consider must dos at Disneyland:
Space Mountain (currently Hyperspace Mountain)
Buzz Lightyear
Star Tours
Matterhorn (it’s painful but it’s a classic)
Peter Pan
Alice in Wonderland
It’s a Small World
Thunder Mountain Railroad
Indiana Jones
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain

And at California Adventure:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Soarin’
Grizzly River Run
Radiator Springs Racers
Incredicoaster
Toy Story Mania

There are other rides that are great too but these are the must dos.

Use Fastpass and single rider. These rides have Fastpass:
Space Mountain (Single Rider line works amazing so I hardly ever get Fastpass anymore)
Buzz Lightyear (Fastpass doesn’t run out quickly but is generally worth getting one when others are out)
Star Tours (I highly recommend Fastpass)
Matterhorn (Single Rider works great)
It’s a Small World (you probably won’t need it but maybe you will)
Roger Rabbit (I honestly have no idea if this is a good idea, because I don’t ever ride this)
Thunder Mountain Railroad (Fastpass is great and they don’t run out super quickly)
Indiana Jones (Single Rider is terrible. Use Fastpass.)
Haunted Mansion (Fastpass is fine, but you might not need it)
Splash Mountain (get it for hot times of the day. Single rider works well sometimes but don’t rely on it)

And in California Adventure:
Guardians of the Galaxy (I highly recommend Fastpass)
Soarin’ (I highly recommend Fastpass)
Radiator Springs Racers (Single Rider is great. If you decide to get Fastpass get them early)
Grizzly River Run (Single Rider works if you’re ok sitting in the raft with other groups. Some find this awkward)
Incredicoaster (Single Rider works sometimes but on busier days I recommend Fastpass)
Toy Story Mania (I highly recommend Fastpass)
Goofy’s Sky School (I never ride this. Single rider is an option.)

I highly recommend getting Maxpass. It is $15 per person per day. You can get more than with regular Fastpass and if someone cancels, you can get their Fastpass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter