First Timer Questions- ECVs and parking/charging, Moving Walkway Boarding

HotFeet

Earning My Ears
Hello, newbie here. I'm going on my first trip to Disney World in December. 🤞 We're staying at Pop Century. My BF uses a prosthetic leg and has a lot of mobility problems. He will be using an ECV. Do you bring these things into your hotel rooms to charge or is there some kind of designated spot for them? Do you drive these into restaurants in the parks or park them outside?

Another question is about me. I have MS and am pretty heat intolerant. I'm on the fence about renting a scooter for myself. Like another poster mentioned, I'm very self conscious about using one. The BF is, too, but he knows he cannot manage Disney without one. His disability is very visible and mine isn't but I know that shouldn't matter. My question is more about managing with two scooters. Is it just too much? How hard are they to maneuver? I think I'd probably be hopping off mine a lot, like to go in shops. Are there spots to leave them? Is managing two scooters more trouble than it's worth?

My BF wants to see the Haunted Mansion more than anything else. I've read that they'll stop the ride for boarding. Will they stop it to get out, too?

I understand that Peter Pan's Flight never stops. How fast are the moving walkways? Do they move at the same speed as the ride vehicle?

Thanks for any advice anyone wants to share!

Also, I hope I'm posting this correctly.

Hello, newbie here. I'm going on my first trip to Disney World in December. 🤞 We're staying at Pop Century. My BF uses a prosthetic leg and has a lot of mobility problems. He will be using an ECV.

1 Do you bring these things into your hotel rooms to charge or is there some kind of designated spot for them?
2 Do you drive these into restaurants in the parks or park them outside?

3. Another question is about me. I have MS and am pretty heat intolerant. I'm on the fence about renting a scooter for myself. Like another poster mentioned, I'm very self conscious about using one. The BF is, too, but he knows he cannot manage Disney without one. His disability is very visible and mine isn't but I know that shouldn't matter. My question is more about managing with two scooters. Is it just too much?
4 How hard are they to maneuver?
5 I think I'd probably be hopping off mine a lot, like to go in shops. Are there spots to leave them?
6 Is managing two scooters more trouble than it's worth?

7 My BF wants to see the Haunted Mansion more than anything else. I've read that they'll stop the ride for boarding. Will they stop it to get out, too?

8 I understand that Peter Pan's Flight never stops. How fast are the moving walkways? Do they move at the same speed as the ride vehicle?

1 You will find people leave them outside there rooms but here is the thing would you leave anything of value out of your room would you leave something you need at the parks outside of the room for someone to come by and move it ( seen it before) would you like someone spilling a drink on it ( seen it ) what about someone unplugging it gain seen it. if you're ok with any or all of those then leave it outside your door if not keep it in your room where you know no one will take it spill something on it or mess with it somehow any ways I would leave it in your room at night so thst it is safe.

2 it depends on how you feel you can drive the ECV into resrunts and park it at the table or get out and use a chair at the table and have someone else park it. if you need to use it inside I would put on the reservation that you have a mobility device and then let them know when you check in that you need it with you. ( or what you can do like I can walk about 50 steps )

3 this is your vacation and you should use whatever you need to make your vacation best for you. Most will not care that your are in a ECV or whatever you are in this really is not a big deal at Disney.

as having two scooter it can talk more time getting on off the bus but if you need one then you will have more time at the park with out pain or not having to take so many breaks you can stay longer and do more
Yes the parks are crowded and at times I would have one person go first and then the other follow

4 not as hard as you think take some time at your resort ( if you rent of site) and drive it aroumd and see how it is ( just 5 or so minutes is really all you should need)

5 yes you can ask any CM you see where is a good place to park your scooter

6 this is up to you is how much walking standing can you do would walking standing cause you pain would it cause you to cut your day short, is it worth the small effort that a scooter is to not be in pain to not have to cut your day early or maybe miss a day altogether. only you can decide this

7 yes if they stop it for you to get on they will stop it for you to get off.

8 yes it more at the same speed as the ride cars I think most moving walkways move at the same speed

Last edited:
Hello, newbie here. I'm going on my first trip to Disney World in December. 🤞 We're staying at Pop Century. My BF uses a prosthetic leg and has a lot of mobility problems. He will be using an ECV. Do you bring these things into your hotel rooms to charge or is there some kind of designated spot for them? Do you drive these into restaurants in the parks or park them outside?

Another question is about me. I have MS and am pretty heat intolerant. I'm on the fence about renting a scooter for myself. Like another poster mentioned, I'm very self conscious about using one. The BF is, too, but he knows he cannot manage Disney without one. His disability is very visible and mine isn't but I know that shouldn't matter. My question is more about managing with two scooters. Is it just too much? How hard are they to maneuver? I think I'd probably be hopping off mine a lot, like to go in shops. Are there spots to leave them? Is managing two scooters more trouble than it's worth?

My BF wants to see the Haunted Mansion more than anything else. I've read that they'll stop the ride for boarding. Will they stop it to get out, too?

I understand that Peter Pan's Flight never stops. How fast are the moving walkways? Do they move at the same speed as the ride vehicle?

this is said a lot here but will say again about not wanting to use an ECV because of how it looks to others but here goes an ECV is a tool to help you. if you would need glasses would you leave them home because you would look different? of course not, you need a place to sit and rest so you bring it with you. do what you need to help you have a great visit. not sure if it will help you guys but I find a folding cane helpful getting out ride to walkway for balance. HH does slow down ramp for both entering and leaving. also remember how rides handle ECV can be different so ask CM at beginning of line for directions for that ride. CMs see lots of ECV each day and you will not be causing them more work. as another poster said take ECV in room to charge each night.

or is there some kind of designated spot for them?
No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no! You are responsible for this expensive piece of equipment. You do not leave it "somewhere" to charge that is not your room.
Do you drive these into restaurants in the parks or park them outside?
it depends on the restaurant. Ask each time.
'm on the fence about renting a scooter for myself
if you need one, rent it.
My question is more about managing with two scooters. Is it just too much?
two scooters will fit in a Pop room, for charging and just general control.
Are there spots to leave them?
Somewhere outside but nearby, but not blocking anything.
Is managing two scooters more trouble than it's worth?
"Worth" is so subjective. Typically only two scooters fit on a bus at once, and only one per Skyliner car - so there's a reasonable chance you may be on separate vehicles. Some attractions limit the number of mobility-issue guests at once, in case of evacuation.
Yes, that's the only reasonable resu!t.

Hi there
I just wanted to let you know my thoughts on heat intolerance. We went late June/early July and my family were fine with the heat. I however suffer with some medical problems plus severe anxiety/panic disorder. I was very hesitant about using an ECV and physically I struggled on for most of our stay but I really didn't handle the heat and queueing etc with my panic disorder. So the last few days I hired an on site ECV and it literally changed my whole experience. I immediately became more relaxed and was able to enjoy every minute. We are due to visit next year again and my husband insistent that we hire an ECV for the whole stay. It made his life much easier too because he could see me relax and he didn't have to worry, prior to that he was edge all the time as he knew I was struggling. Do it and forget what anyone else thinks. Its your experience and its not a cheap one at that.:flower1:

I have very bad knees and rent a scooter for getting around at WDW. I usually am able to park it and shop or go in to restaurants without a problem. Generally in places where you can park a stroller you can park a scooter. There are some spots just for scooter parking (where you leave it to get on a ride - like at Buzz Lightyear). You should not have a problem parking a scooter for awhile if you don't need to use it and walk - and go back to it when you need it.

If you and your BF are going to travel together to and from the parks - most busses fit two scooters so you may get split up or need to wait. I suggest not worrying about that too much - as in I'd just say if there's only room for one of you on the bus then the other person is likely to be less than 20 minutes behind you on the next bus. I often split up from my family (they just wait in the regular bus boarding line). Oddly enough I've beaten them to the park even when getting on a bus that came later - I have no idea why - haha! I've also found getting back to the room after fireworks/night shows can mean very crowded busses so you could have the same issue coming back to the room. The sky-liner only takes one WC per gondola but you'd likely arrive fairly soon one after the other. There are also Minnie Vans that can take two scooters I think - but they are expensive - but really nice if you're at some place without direct bus service like having dinner at AKL and need to get back to Pop at night.

I often stay at Pop and at least in my opinion - if you want to use both beds (one is a pull down bed) - it takes planning to get both scooters in the room. I think people do it - maybe putting one by the bathroom (near where a connecting door is if the room has that) and one by the door to the room. Perhaps someone has a pic of this. Usually there are 3-4 of us in the room and we need both beds and have lots of stuff and having one scooter in there feels cramped - lol! I agree don't leave the scooter outside anywhere to charge.

As far as being self-conscious about using a scooter, you're definitely not the first! When I first admitted to myself that I needed a scooter, I was devastated! I was on a solo trip, but I felt I had to call home and break down in tears "I finally had to rent a scooter!" Then I drove around just waiting for the first nasty comment...and I waited...and waited...I just knew it was coming..but it didn't! Instead I met so many super nice people. Although I was solo and worried about opening doors, I needn't-people from nearby always rushed over to open the door for me. And for some reason, learning to drive wasn't that hard. The biggest thing to remember is that the turtle (slowest speed) is your friend. For the entire trip I always kept one hand on the speed control and turned it way down when approaching buses, going thru lines, getting in elevators, etc.

As far as being self-conscious about using a scooter, you're definitely not the first! When I first admitted to myself that I needed a scooter, I was devastated! I was on a solo trip, but I felt I had to call home and break down in tears "I finally had to rent a scooter!" Then I drove around just waiting for the first nasty comment...and I waited...and waited...I just knew it was coming..but it didn't! Instead I met so many super nice people. Although I was solo and worried about opening doors, I needn't-people from nearby always rushed over to open the door for me. And for some reason, learning to drive wasn't that hard. The biggest thing to remember is that the turtle (slowest speed) is your friend. For the entire trip I always kept one hand on the speed control and turned it way down when approaching buses, going thru lines, getting in elevators, etc.

I agree with you. I had the same depressing feelings the first time I used a wheelchair on my last trip. But what a difference it made! I really enjoyed the trip and I was amazed at how nice people were to help out. Even a cast member came up to me to ask if they could get me anything and then brought me a water. Since my daughter probably won't be able to make out next trip to push me, and I don't want my hubby to (he's got his own medical problems), I will certainly be renting an ECV. After reading all these posts, this forum has helped me realize that it is all about enjoying your vacation and people will, and do, understand. And yes, I practiced when I went to our local Costco, and slow speed is your friend. lol

Just want to stress that whether you rent one ECV or two - always bring it inside your Resort hotel room every night (we have folks here who have fit 2 large ECVs into a Pop Century room with no problems!) and make sure they both get fully recharged overnight, every night.

That way 2 things happen "automagically": First, you don't have to worry about someone messing with the scooter - and best case scenario when you leave it outside the room is that they unplug it before it charges, and then your next day is ruined because you have to stop to recharge all the time. Worst case scenario is one or both of them wind up in the bottom of the pool (and I have seen that. It *really* ruins the day - and you will have a VERY upset rental company to deal with)

The second thing that happens is because you made sure they were both fully charged overnight, you have one less thing worry about the next day - you can just go, and have fun, and be comfortable.

These ECVs are just *tools* for you to use to get something done. If you need to hang a picture, you grab a hammer to pound a nail. You use a calculator to do your taxes, or balance your checkbook. You use glasses if you can't see well, and/or hearing aids if you can't hear properly. All of those things are examples of tools that you might use. An ECV is another.

The goal of vacation (at least for me!) is to arrive home feeling *more* rested and refreshed (and in less pain) than when I left - full of happy memories and maybe a couple of extra pounds because.so.many.cupcakes!
It's NOT to arrive home in pain, exhausted, and needing a vacation from my vacation.

Let us know if you all need any more information about using a personal mobility device at WDW 🙂

if you look at nothing else look at mamabunny's post she is one of the go to people here. hope you have a great trip

I used a scooter for the first time in 2018 I was hesitant bc all my health issues are not seen if you know what I mean.
W/o it tho I would have never been able to make it!
I always charged scooter inside our room at night
I parked outside of restaurants and shops.
Parked with the strollers outside of rides.
We are going back late aug and dec and I will be renting an ecv again

Before you decide to park outside your room: usually states impose rules about how wide corridors must be to allow for safe evacuation in the event of an emergency. I don't know what the rules are in Florida, but please consider the possibility that someone might trip over a scooter partially obstructing a dark and/or smoky hallway. Ask at the desk if you have any doubts as to whether it's permitted in your particular section of hotel.

Before you decide to park outside your room: usually states impose rules about how wide corridors must be to allow for safe evacuation in the event of an emergency. I don't know what the rules are in Florida, but please consider the possibility that someone might trip over a scooter partially obstructing a dark and/or smoky hallway. Ask at the desk if you have any doubts as to whether it's permitted in your particular section of hotel.

You are correct - that is an important thing we should all consider.

I have seen ECVs charging in hallways and along breezeways/sidewalks outside of Disney Resort rooms for years. What those folks don't consider - aside from the safety concerns you outlined above (which are real and valid) is that by leaving something that big unattended in a public hallway, you are asking for trouble. Best case scenario is that someone comes along and unplugs the unit before it fully charges, and you spend the next day searching for outlets, and trying to keep the battery going; it's a big waste of time and money that could have been avoided if the unit was safely inside the room. Worst case? I have personally seen the aftermath of an ECV that was stolen and wound up in the bottom of a hotel pool. Most recently, we saw a Guest *lose it* right there in the lobby because a Resort CM moved the unit to Bell Services after they got several complaints, and then the Guest went down and *chewed* on some poor FOH manager for about 15 minutes in the middle of the lobby because they had no idea where the unit was, and so Disney was going to have pay for the "stolen" scooter AND rent her a new one... When the manager calmly told her that they had the unit, and it had been moved because it was causing a problem with foot traffic, she screamed - just screamed - at the top of her lungs from what one could only presume was anger and frustration, and started yelling at the top of her voice about Disney stealing her property, etc. Luckily, we were done with the Concierge at that point, and left the lobby because... well, you can imagine. NOT how I want to spend my time at Disney World...

So. Back to that ECV that's been parked in the hall and left alone. Kids can't resist messing with them, housekeepers can - and do - unplug them so that they can vacuum. And troublemakers come in all ages and sizes, and there is no way of knowing where the unit could wind up if someone decides to move it while it was left unattended.

Leaving your ECV outside of a ride, attraction, show, shop or restaurant while in the Parks at WDW is fine - there are typically plenty of CMs to keep an eye on things, and while in the Parks, most folks are focused on their own fun. But, late at night or early in the morning... an unattended ECV at a Resort hotel is an easy target for folks who are bored, drunk, or don't like ECVs to begin with (or any combination of the 3).

TL;DR Don't leave your ECV outside your room to charge - there is space inside the room and if you need more, simply go to the Front Desk and ask for the table/chairs to be removed from your room to make extra space.

Oh - and if you still can't bear to have the ECV in your room? Then you should rent from the Parks, and not an outside vendor, and then you don't have to have any responsibility for a device once you leave the Parks. Problem solved.

You are correct - that is an important thing we should all consider.

I have seen ECVs charging in hallways and along breezeways/sidewalks outside of Disney Resort rooms for years. What those folks don't consider - aside from the safety concerns you outlined above (which are real and valid) is that by leaving something that big unattended in a public hallway, you are asking for trouble. Best case scenario is that someone comes along and unplugs the unit before it fully charges, and you spend the next day searching for outlets, and trying to keep the battery going; it's a big waste of time and money that could have been avoided if the unit was safely inside the room. Worst case? I have personally seen the aftermath of an ECV that was stolen and wound up in the bottom of a hotel pool. Most recently, we saw a Guest *lose it* right there in the lobby because a Resort CM moved the unit to Bell Services after they got several complaints, and then the Guest went down and *chewed* on some poor FOH manager for about 15 minutes in the middle of the lobby because they had no idea where the unit was, and so Disney was going to have pay for the "stolen" scooter AND rent her a new one... When the manager calmly told her that they had the unit, and it had been moved because it was causing a problem with foot traffic, she screamed - just screamed - at the top of her lungs from what one could only presume was anger and frustration, and started yelling at the top of her voice about Disney stealing her property, etc. Luckily, we were done with the Concierge at that point, and left the lobby because... well, you can imagine. NOT how I want to spend my time at Disney World...

So. Back to that ECV that's been parked in the hall and left alone. Kids can't resist messing with them, housekeepers can - and do - unplug them so that they can vacuum. And troublemakers come in all ages and sizes, and there is no way of knowing where the unit could wind up if someone decides to move it while it was left unattended.

Leaving your ECV outside of a ride, attraction, show, shop or restaurant while in the Parks at WDW is fine - there are typically plenty of CMs to keep an eye on things, and while in the Parks, most folks are focused on their own fun. But, late at night or early in the morning... an unattended ECV at a Resort hotel is an easy target for folks who are bored, drunk, or don't like ECVs to begin with (or any combination of the 3).

TL;DR Don't leave your ECV outside your room to charge - there is space inside the room and if you need more, simply go to the Front Desk and ask for the table/chairs to be removed from your room to make extra space.

Oh - and if you still can't bear to have the ECV in your room? Then you should rent from the Parks, and not an outside vendor, and then you don't have to have any responsibility for a device once you leave the Parks. Problem solved.
another thing that can happen if left outside to charge is finding an unwelcome friend when you come to get in the morning. granted this was a stroller but can see it happening with scooter also. walking to daughter's room saw a double stroller with a snake in the basket under the stroller. guess I should have added this was at PO Riverside

Last edited:
I guess I'll add that when you are picking a company to rent from ask them about the battery life on their scooters. I switched companies a couple of years ago to one that had newer ECVs and the battery lasted 16 hours in the parks no problems. The other company I had used before I often had to charge the battery during the day. Not having to worry about that is a huge bonus. There's a lot of threads on here with reviews on different companies so check those out if you're still looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!