First timer, one day only.

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
So I am from the east coast and have been to WDW more times than I can count but I have never been to DL. I am driving from L.A to San Diego in April and I am on the fence about visiting DL. I have recently been turned off by the crowds at WDW and I didnt even renew my annual pass this year.. I recall a time when there was such a thing as slow season..

I follow certain groups on FB and everytime a photo of DL is posted its usually about the crowds. It could be a Tuesday morning in September and the DL parking lot will be full... Thats not the experience I am looking for.. and yes I know the fact I am going in April is not going to help me... If I go it would be Thursday April 4th only.. Is it worth it to spend $145+ for just one day / first timer.....

If you’ve never been to Disneyland, it’s definetely different. But you’d be pushing it to see the entire resort in one day. Will you have time to visit other attractions? Or is it a business trip & business would be your main trip purpose?

I can tell you, you’d need to hit rope drop to avoid crowds and also have a good touring plan to feel that you could see what you want to see.

We are WDW vets that fell in love with DLR and have been going there every year for the last 9 years- it started with a one day visit while I was on a business trip. Go! Buy a hopper ticket and get Max Pass. Hit the highlights in both parks. Sounds like you will be solo-you will be able to get a lot done- especially if you use Max Pass.

Thanks... its sort of a business trip.. im going from a convention in LA to a wedding that weekend.. My only free day is Thursday...I am willing to not see Downtown Disney/The Disney resorts/ Cali Adventure.... I only care about Disney land... and if I had to nit pick the top three attractions I want to see are Pirates/Haunted/Small.... only because I know the FL counterparts are diffrent.. After that I would want to see some attractions Walt had a personal hand in creating.. though im sure my first 3 choices are contenders for that..

I don’t think hours are out yet for April 4, are they? Would you be on your own? (That would be helpful for single rider and general park maneuvering.)

IF you can be there before rope drop and stay all day, I think it would be “worth it” to get a chance to see DL.

Definitely go, and I would highly suggest seeing Cars Land, so get a hopper. Yes, you can easily fill your entire day with DL park, but if you have never been, you have to see Cars Land (and I would do Incredicoaster as well).

Thanks... its sort of a business trip.. im going from a convention in LA to a wedding that weekend.. My only free day is Thursday...I am willing to not see Downtown Disney/The Disney resorts/ Cali Adventure.... I only care about Disney land... and if I had to nit pick the top three attractions I want to see are Pirates/Haunted/Small.... only because I know the FL counterparts are diffrent.. After that I would want to see some attractions Walt had a personal hand in creating.. though im sure my first 3 choices are contenders for that..

Our favorite thing about DLR is that everything is together and it takes no time to get from one place to another. You go through security one time for DTD, DL and CA. You don't have to go through security to hop between parks and you literally can be from the back of DL to the back of CA in 10 minutes- we have done it. Hopping takes 5 minutes. Radiator Springs Racers at CA is my favorite ride of both WDW and DLR- you will never see Test Track the same way again. RSR is far far superior to TT. Also, being solo you can single rider RSR, Incredicoaster, and Indiana Jones. On a busy July day, we can single rider RSR in 15 minutes and many times we have walked on through the single rider line or waited 10 minutes or less. Carsland is really something to see. I would spring for the hopper. Both the parks together are about the size of EPCOT--- we really think of it as one big park with 2 sides.

POTC is amazing at DLR- that is definitely a must do. We like the addition of the Disney characters throughout Small World, although some people do not. HM doesn't feel that much different on the inside to us-- there are things like the Hatbox ghost that do stand out. All definitely good choices. If you get there near rope drop that Thursday morning, you will be able to walk on POTC and then HM without much of a wait. Pirates is a 15 minute ride and HM is about 10 minutes. Small World is about as far away from them in the park as you can get- but even walking all the way over there, there is a chance that you could at least to the point where you have ridden the other two and are getting on Small World by the end of your first hour in the park. Although I would stay on that side and knock out the other rides over there before moving to Small World. If you like the dark rides, Alice is a must.

Our one day trip, DH and I got hoppers and went at a good speed and we rode almost every ride in both parks. The Isitpacked crowd calander is showing April 4, as a "Best Bet"day to go with lower crowds in April. I think you will be able to get a ton done in both parks that day. I don't think you are going to find the crowds too bad. We have been in peak time in July and the crowds are DLR were less than what we deal with at WDW in October. Mondays seem to be the worst at DLR-- those are always our most crowded day.

We are WDW vets that fell in love with DLR and have been going there every year for the last 9 years- it started with a one day visit while I was on a business trip. Go! Buy a hopper ticket and get Max Pass. Hit the highlights in both parks. Sounds like you will be solo-you will be able to get a lot done- especially if you use Max Pass.
Love the Max Pass idea! Really looking forward to trying that, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!