First timer at Universal Orlando!! Need assistance with resort selection please!

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
My mother, sister, and I are heading to WDW next August and am looking into probably two days at Universal. My research just started today, and obviously I have a lot to research, but thought I would obtain initial thoughts on hotels first!

Typically at Disney we go for Deluxes, but in particular the AKL, however for a couple days I'm not really too picky. I will say first off that after looking at WDW prices earlier in the day, Universal hotels seem much more politely priced and look gorgeous.

So to get to an actual question.... any hotels that are absolute must-do's or must-don'ts for Universal?

From a rather cursory glance, I will say the Cabana Bay resort has really caught my attention! However the Loew's Sapphire Isle is also quite appealing.

Any feedback to get me started would be appreciated!

You really need to consider if you want the unlimited express pass that is included with the three top hotels...Hard Rock, Portofino Bay and Royal Pacific.

Sapphire Falls and Cabana Bay do not include this wonderful perk.

Hi! We are Deluxe Disney people as well. Our favorite resorts are Yacht and Beach Club. If you are used to hotels like that I would stay at one of the hotels accissible to the boats with more on-site amenities.

I've only been to Universal once but we stayed at Portifino Bay for a week. It was a gorgeous hotel. I really liked taking the boat to the park and how close it was, but that the resort still felt separate and relaxing. We paid for a club room and it was totally worth it. I would highly recommend it!!

In March we will be staying at HRH for a week. But it was a tough decision as we really, really liked PBH. But I also
like trying something new. Good luck in choosing. Cabana Bay does look fun!!

Cabana Bay's theming is awesome! The price is great too. But, no Express Passes included. In the summer, they'd be really nice to have. You can, of course, buy them out of pocket but they'll be $90-140ish per person per day. Hard Rock, Portofino and Royal Pacific include them for the party from check in day through check out day. It almost always comes out ahead financially to stay in the nicer hotels if you want Express Passes.
At Universal you can pool hop. Also, unlike Disney, everything is close. You can easily go and enjoy Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls just for fun

As Damo said, research what the EP is and what it does for the whole family when staying at one of the big three Uni deluxe resorts. Saffire and Cabana Bay do not include it in the price. We love Royal Pacific and Portofino in that order when staying at Uni. Feel free to ask more questions as they come up.

I have wanted to stay at Cabana Bay, too, for the lazy river and the fun theme, but I always end up back at Royal Pacific. It is beautiful, well-themed, incredibly convenient to the parks and City Walk, and the deal-clincher is the unlimited express pass. I'm spoiled rotten now - I don't know if I could go without the express pass! I'm planning to pool hop to Cabana Bay on my next trip if I can find the time.

I very much appreciate everyone's feedback, it has been very helpful! I'll def be going with a hotel which includes the Express Pass!

We've stayed at Portifino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. My preference is Hard Rock. Hard Rock has better rooms than RP. HRH is closer to the parks and Citywalk than Portifino; we often walk from HRH to Universal Studios. (The boat service was very good from Portifino so this may not be a major factor for some.)

Portifino has very good rooms and would probably be the best of the 3 if just staying at the resort or staying for a long period of time. I don't care much for the breakfast and dinner options at Portifino though they are nice restaurants. If the cost was the same for all 3, I'd pick Hard Rock; I'd consider the other two depending on the price differences. Our visits have been similar to the OP's plans in that we have stayed only one or two nights for each visit; usually two nights.

I really like the water rides at Islands of Adventure but I don't like to continue to tour the parks after I get wet. We will usually ride the wet rides with time to return to the resort to dry off and change clothes.

The Universal deluxe hotels that include the Express Pass and are on the boat route are so nice, I think it is a good decision to go this route. With the unlimited express pass going to the parks is so relaxing, unlike Disney with the limited express passes. And if you are walkers you can easily walk from the parks back to RP, and it is pleasant and beautifully landscaped. Also, Much easier to take a mid day break back at the pool or resort at these hotels than it is at Disney.

If I was vacationing in August anytime from the first to third week, I would stay at one of the 3 deluxe hotels

The ep would be a plus due to crowds and they are closer to the parks

You could return to the hotel within maybe 12 minutes for a break from
the summer heat

August can be hot and crowded

If all 3 in your group are 18 and up, there would be an additional $25 per night charge for the third person
at the deluxe hotels

The surcharge for the additional adult ar the other hotels is less

I stay at rpr no matter what the cost is

Short walk if you do not use the free water taxi

And rpr has 4 eateries onsite beside the morning orchid breakfast set up in the lobby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!