First time without kids

ck2d

Earning My Ears
I have a son with autism. Every time I've visited the parks my focus has been 100% on him. I've never used fast passes or single rider lines. Every dining choice I've made has taken his limitations in place.

They have been such amazing vacations. I loved every minute of it. Now that he's an adult, living on his own, and going to college, I'm going to go to Disneyworld by myself.

I have no idea about the "adult" side of Disneyworld. It's almost like I'm going for the first time. Where do I begin?

I have a son with autism. Every time I've visited the parks my focus has been 100% on him. I've never used fast passes or single rider lines. Every dining choice I've made has taken his limitations in place.

They have been such amazing vacations. I loved every minute of it. Now that he's an adult, living on his own, and going to college, I'm going to go to Disneyworld by myself.

I have no idea about the "adult" side of Disneyworld. It's almost like I'm going for the first time. Where do I begin?

I only ever do adults only trips, and they're ridiculously fun. Think about your budget and accommodations, would you want to be a gung ho commando type going from rope drop to close spending every waking moment in the parks, or would you appreciate a nicer resort to spend downtime at? Your answer to that will help decide what the best resort is for you. Take a look at the restaurants and attractions you've always wanted to do, but couldn't before. Come up with a few "must dos" and go from there. There's no way to do and see it all.

First decide when to go and where you will stay (you may have already done this). Buy a ticket. I have been doing solo trips for 6 years and love the freedom to go where I want, when I want, it's a lot of fun. Look into some of the extra tours and events. My family would not have wanted to do Keys to the Kingdom tour, for example. I also did the Wild Africa Trek at AK solo. I don't do many TS dinners while solo, but often eat at the bar or lounge where I can get the same food as the restaurant.

Yes, I suspect it will feel quite different. DW and I made many adult only trips to WDW over the years and are now snowbirds who visit the parks frequently. WDW is a wonderful place for adults.

As a first adult only visit it will be a wonderful opportunity for you to discover the attractions and experiences that interest you. Also to take time and really look at everything, the details that make Disney so special. And when you find an attraction you really like you can take the time to ride it again. We also enjoy finding a place to sit and absorb the sights and sounds. Perhaps while enjoying a snack. Mickey bars are my weakness.

If you are inclined there are plenty of restaurants and QS places to explore. We aren't big foodies so we enjoyed wandering the World Showcase and snacking as the mood struck us.

A behind the scenes tour is another wonderful possibility. So is touring the resorts, especially the AKL and the monorail resorts.

Depending on the length of your vacation and your personal vacation style, a day of relaxation at your resort might be interesting. Or perhaps just a sleep in morning with a late brunch.

Take some time and go over the WDW maps with your adult interests in mind. I suspect you will come up with plenty of new things to explore.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

First of all, I commend you on taking your autistic child so often to WDW and keeping your focus on his fun at his own pace!! I've been where you are, and you get the Great Disney Parent Award!!!:flower1:
Now, go and have a blast because you deserve it!
Boating? Swimming? Animal trekking? Shopping? Listening to live music? All this can be yours.
Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter