First time with a DAS not a GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneyfool_1202

The countdown has begun!!
We haven't gone to the parks in a few years, having taken the kids on cruises instead. Over the years my son has morphed from an 8 year old with ASD to a 14 year old with ASD, ADD, OCD and Anxiety. So I'm thinking in order to preserve little ears from hearing the mouth of a ranting teen (who can swear better than any R rated movie star) a DAS may be the solution. From what I understand we can request a return time that functions similar to a fast pass (which he does very well with) and then wait minimally when we return. We spend our "wait" time doing something else rather than standing in a long hot line.

My questions are what do I need to bring to guest services with me when we go there and do I just need to rattle off his diagnosis'? Or do I need to get more specific with them? Do I need a physician's letter? Also is the DAS good for all Disney parks (get it once and you are done). Will it also cover our party of 4 to accompany him or do my husband and I need to divide and conquer between the kids?

At least we have moved beyond the need to wait in a quiet place, with headphones and air conditioning. We may have more things diagnosed, but we have come SO far!! Pre-Planning is the key to success in my vacation world!

Basically, you when you go to GR, you just need to explain why your DS cannot wait in a standard queue. Diagnosis does not always help as the CM may not know what diagnosis is what. When I take my sister, we go to the counter and I just explain her issues with waiting in the regular lines.

The DAS is good for your length of stay at all 4 parks and the DAS covers the holder plus 5 guests. The key will be to have your DS tap his band first when using a DAS return.

DAS is need-based, not diagnosis-based. 2 individuals with the same diagnosis may not have the same needs. You will have to explain his needs as directly related to waiting in a standard queue environment.

Information about DAS is available in the first thread of the WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum. You can ignore the rest of the (long) thread which was discussion around the time the program launched.

Be sure to plan your 3 scheduled FP+ in advance.

Enjoy your vacation!

We haven't gone to the parks in a few years, having taken the kids on cruises instead. Over the years my son has morphed from an 8 year old with ASD to a 14 year old with ASD, ADD, OCD and Anxiety. So I'm thinking in order to preserve little ears from hearing the mouth of a ranting teen (who can swear better than any R rated movie star) a DAS may be the solution. From what I understand we can request a return time that functions similar to a fast pass (which he does very well with) and then wait minimally when we return. We spend our "wait" time doing something else rather than standing in a long hot line.

My questions are what do I need to bring to guest services with me when we go there and do I just need to rattle off his diagnosis'? Or do I need to get more specific with them? Do I need a physician's letter? Also is the DAS good for all Disney parks (get it once and you are done). Will it also cover our party of 4 to accompany him or do my husband and I need to divide and conquer between the kids?

At least we have moved beyond the need to wait in a quiet place, with headphones and air conditioning. We may have more things diagnosed, but we have come SO far!! Pre-Planning is the key to success in my vacation world!
Even with the DAS there will still be waits( slinky dog had a one hour wait for FP after it went down for rain) one thing disney is an kind of interactive game you can down load and play it is called play Disney it was fun the little I played it. But just be prepared to do some waiting ( mostly 10-20 for when you return for you DAS time but also at the end of the night for bus trams food ( they do have moble ordering and a number of pleases

Have a conversation beforehand (way beforehand) about what could happen, what is expected of him, ways to communicate, etc. I've found this helps a great deal when taking a young teen with ASD/ADD/OCD/Anxiety into a new situation, or an overly stimulating experience. And then go over the same things as often as possible. I took a teen with the above to our local Six Flags, and he had a meltdown free day. As it was the last day of the 4 years I worked with him, it was like a gift to both of us. We had so much fun! After the trip, I found out he used their version of DAS all the time, but he didn't need it on this trip.

BTW, not sure why the swearing is an issue?

One thing that I do with my own children prior to their first visit, is to sit them through a myriad of youtube 'point of view' videos so they can get an idea as to what the line is like, what the ride is like, so they have a good idea as to what to expect. This means when they are eventually there it is something that is relatively familiar and so creates an element of comfort. I have found this to be a really good way to introduce the concept of the park and its rides.

I don't know about you, but I do not want to be subjected to a lot of swearing..by ANYONE, while waiting in line anywhere, let alone Disney. so at least the OP knows thats an issue with her kid and is wanting to minimize the chances of that happening.

Well, there is that, but was wondering more why the swearing was tolerated/allowed by the parents? Of course, it is a social issue, as we as a society decide what words are considered 'swearing' - but if the parents don't like it, why is it allowed? maybe that is something to consider before they go - have a talk about expectations and have a plan on what to do if the child feels the need to swear. It's a habit that will need to be broken if employment/social contact is going to be sought out in the future, right?

Well, there is that, but was wondering more why the swearing was tolerated/allowed by the parents? Of course, it is a social issue, as we as a society decide what words are considered 'swearing' - but if the parents don't like it, why is it allowed? maybe that is something to consider before they go - have a talk about expectations and have a plan on what to do if the child feels the need to swear. It's a habit that will need to be broken if employment/social contact is going to be sought out in the future, right?

As the OP I will tell you it is NOT tolerated and we have done many things to "stop it" but much to our dismay, when anxiety kicks in it's a deep reaction. He's 15 and sits on a bus with high school kids. He plays on line games. I can't shut off social interaction at school because of "bad influences. I also can't "beat him" and we do punish him and take away privileges. DisneyOma do you have teens with special needs, especially panic attacks and anxiety coupled with ASD which = impluse control?? We do therapy, we do medication. What else should we do? duck tape his mouth?

When an child with ASD is melting down -whether that takes the form of swearing incessantly, screaming, hitting themselves or others, or just complete system shut down - it is not a habit. It's their anxiety and sensory overload coming out. Therapy and treatment is constant and continuous and both the parents and the child learning to mitigate the triggers helps reduce the incidents, but unless you have a crystal ball and know every situation and every encounter that someone will ever face, the risk of that shutdown is ever present.

As the OP I will tell you it is NOT tolerated and we have done many things to "stop it" but much to our dismay, when anxiety kicks in it's a deep reaction. He's 15 and sits on a bus with high school kids. He plays on line games. I can't shut off social interaction at school because of "bad influences. I also can't "beat him" and we do punish him and take away privileges. DisneyOma do you have teens with special needs, especially panic attacks and anxiety coupled with ASD which = impluse control?? We do therapy, we do medication. What else should we do? duck tape his mouth?

Yes, I do, and have worked with them. I do have to say that letting a child with the above issues play online games is not a good idea, unless you are there all the time. I can't share what has happened with students, but some bad things have occurred. We didn't get video games/online interaction in my house until, well, never.

My original post was to ask about DAS, not opinions on how I choose to parent my child. He is an amazing child, straight A's without inclusion in high school, and does his best to control his impulses. Anxiety IS a disability -coupled with the others that I have worked VERY hard with him to deal with- and sometimes when overwhelmed he explodes as anyone with ASD in itself would do. I am not going to tell him he can't do things other teens do when he finally demonstrates signs of "normal" teen behavior. To us that in itself is a miracle. I don't know your history, you don't know mine- but my child is participating in what the majority of society is and no one said he is not supervised, so stop making assumptions.

I bet if he had Turrets as a diagnosis you're opinion would vary. That being said, each of us chooses to parent our own way and should NOT be judged for it.

To the others that have responded to my post in a constructive manner, thank you very much. Your feedback has been very helpful and I will consider the information and use it as best we can to mitigate issues as enjoy our vacation. :rainbow:

My original post was to ask about DAS, not opinions on how I choose to parent my child. He is an amazing child, straight A's without inclusion in high school, and does his best to control his impulses. Anxiety IS a disability -coupled with the others that I have worked VERY hard with him to deal with- and sometimes when overwhelmed he explodes as anyone with ASD in itself would do. I am not going to tell him he can't do things other teens do when he finally demonstrates signs of "normal" teen behavior. To us that in itself is a miracle. I don't know your history, you don't know mine- but my child is participating in what the majority of society is and no one said he is not supervised, so stop making assumptions.

I bet if he had Turrets as a diagnosis you're opinion would vary. That being said, each of us chooses to parent our own way and should NOT be judged for it.

To the others that have responded to my post in a constructive manner, thank you very much. Your feedback has been very helpful and I will consider the information and use it as best we can to mitigate issues as enjoy our vacation. :rainbow:
I just want to say way to go for your son on straight A in school I tried so hard for straight A and never got it. Some people on here are not that tactful at there responses and think because they work with kids with disabilities and they can do XYZ then another can, each child with a disability is different and some may never get to the point of ( fill in the blank) You are an amazing parent I am sure you are doing all you can to make this trip as enjoyable for all those around.

a few things that might help and some of these I do not know if your son has a problem with

it can be very noisy at Disney so noise canceling headphone ( or music might help him)

a hat and or sunglass if he has a problem with light

something for him to do with his hands ( fidget cube, silly putty,)

Disney has a few quiet places around I would keep your eye out for them ( or you can ask GR or we can help make a list for you) so that if your son has a meltdown/ is about to have a meltdown you can find a place for him to decompress

a few things that might help and some of these I do not know if your son has a problem with

it can be very noisy at Disney so noise canceling headphone ( or music might help him)

a hat and or sunglass if he has a problem with light

something for him to do with his hands ( fidget cube, silly putty,)

Thank you. It's funny, we have been to WDW many times over the years and his needs have changed as he's grown. We used to carry weighted lap blanket, use noise cancelling headphones, and use a stroller for respite for him (safe place). Now he uses his cell phone and headphones to listen to music when he needs to block out external noise and dances in place (sometimes just small moves, sometimes big depending on space) to provide sensory input.
Trust me we have come a LONG way!!!

Thank you. It's funny, we have been to WDW many times over the years and his needs have changed as he's grown. We used to carry weighted lap blanket, use noise cancelling headphones, and use a stroller for respite for him (safe place). Now he uses his cell phone and headphones to listen to music when he needs to block out external noise and dances in place (sometimes just small moves, sometimes big depending on space) to provide sensory input.
Trust me we have come a LONG way!!!
I too move when I am in line so total get the moving around part. It does sound like he has come a long way and I know you all will have a lot of fun

@disneyfool_1202 I don't remember if you said when your trip was, but I know that some teens I have been familiar with find a lightweight hoodie with sunglasses to help anxiety; it lets them "self-cocoon". That may not work for your DS (especially in the swampy summer months in Orlando!); it's just a tip I wanted to pass along. :)

Have you had any success with word substitution? I know as a mom, our first instinct is to say "don't swear!" or "stop cursing!" but when that didn't work, what ultimately worked for some of my family members was word substitution. And, oddly enough, the sillier or funnier the substitution, the better it has "stuck"! Some examples: Instead of the "F" word, he now says "Fudge Monkeys!" He can scream "Fudge Monkeys" all day, and I don't care LOL... Instead of the word that starts with sh and ends with it, he says either "poopy-doopers" or "Shiplap and grosgrain!" (He liked "Shiitake Mushrooms" but kept forgetting to finish the phrase, so...) :upsidedow "Damn" is now "DingDang!" (many thanks to TimTracker of YouTube fame for that one!) and "Son of a B(word)" has become "Son of a nugget!" Through trial and error, we found the best substitutions are the ones that *start* with the same sounds, and end with something as crazy as possible - and give the speaker syllables to stress how strong their emotions are. Again - this may not be right for your DS, but it could be helpful in the future when he has reached the right place - so I wanted to pass it along. (and yes, my family is *so* weird. But so am I - so we are a matched set! It's one of the reasons I love them! :))

Another strategy we use with a family member who has serious anxiety issues continuing as an adult, is what we call "Build a Bubble". When we have an (inevitable) line to wait in, (not just at WDW, but anywhere) those of us traveling with her create a "bubble" space - we allow the people ahead of us to move forward, and one of us will "guard" the back of the "bubble" to allow her some space, where she can pace a bit if she needs to, or just feel less restricted and pressured. She doesn't have claustrophobia - that's my problem LOL - but it works for that too! "Bubbling" is kind of an art form - never build such a big gap that the people behind you get mad or resentful, and keeping your "bubbled" family member moving forward at an appropriate pace can be tricky - but it can work wonders. I recommend practicing in local stores, amusement parks, the zoo... anywhere you find a line to stand in, to see if it helps. (Also helps in traffic, when driving BTW! I just build a big old "bubble" and let all the crazies zoom on by, and arrive at my destination with less stress, and in the right-hand lane LOL)

If he is looking for a kinder, more supportive, family friendly game/community (and it's iOS-friendly so you can play on iPad/iPhone as well) I can personally recommend Villagers and Heroes. It's an MMORG with a HUGE map, and zero cost to play (!) (seriously, you can earn Gold just by working and questing) but unlike a *lot* of the communities surrounding these games, the focus with this community is on helping one another and you don't have to play a violent character to contribute to the game. After your introductory quest (where you get your "house" and a plot of land), you can choose to be a "Villager" and enjoy running around making things and collecting things. There is live chat, and for the most part it stays clean, and friendly - and people are happy to help newbies get oriented, and even experienced players help one another with tips. I play (yes, Elder Geeks play too LOL) and as a mom-person, I would let my younglings play this once they reached 13, especially if they had already played another MMORG.

Last, but not least, he sounds like an amazing kid, er, young man! :) I hope you all have the best possible trip! :)

When you use the point that he needs a DAS partially because he will swear in line, and then offer the info that he gets the language from playing online videos, etc, and then balk at suggestions...

When an child with ASD is melting down -whether that takes the form of swearing incessantly, screaming, hitting themselves or others, or just complete system shut down - it is not a habit. It's their anxiety and sensory overload coming out. Therapy and treatment is constant and continuous and both the parents and the child learning to mitigate the triggers helps reduce the incidents, but unless you have a crystal ball and know every situation and every encounter that someone will ever face, the risk of that shutdown is ever present.

Habit - what they have learned to do. If they never heard those words, they'd not have them in their vocabulary to say when they are stressed out and anxious. I do think saying the words to relieve stress and getting a point across is better than self-harm, or screaming, and that's a good starting point - communication. But as I stated before - it can't be left as a habit if independence and employment are a goal for the future.

Some people on here are not that tactful at there responses and think because they work with kids with disabilities and they can do XYZ then another can, each child with a disability is different and some may never get to the point of ( fill in the blank)

Is this directed at me? If it is, I'd like to respond that I am also a parent, and have raised two children (one the valedictorian of her class, the other salutatorian of her class) who have had to deal with anxiety and sensory and social issues. That's on top of working 16+ years with teenagers on the spectrum, along with other students with a myriad of other issues. I am the most requested staff member at our school, according to our principal and special education director. So I do feel like I know what I'm talking about. But I get where you are coming from. Of course each child is different, and what works for one does not always work for another. But doesn't everyone here share what works, etc? Why limit who can give input, share information, etc?

When you use the point that he needs a DAS partially because he will swear in line, and then offer the info that he gets the language from playing online videos, etc, and then balk at suggestions...

He gets the language from living as close to a normal teen life as he can. Not just from playing an online video game. He is in a regular high school, on a regular high school bus, in regular classes. So should I shelter him from society on the off chance he will pick up the bad language that is used by teens who are developmentally testing all boundaries? Get real. He knows what is right and what is wrong and uses words in appropriate context. However, He is ADD and ASD with major anxiety that is often in check. When something triggers him though, he IS triggered and full blown panic attack mean he can not stop and think "self censor based on who is around".
So congratulations for raising two kids and working with teens for however many years. I'm glad you were able to apparently raise them in a bubble.
Bottom Line: Your input is welcome if constructive and ON POINT, not judgmental on what my child does or not does and why / or what I am doing about it. To date your comments are not constructive, and therefore not appreciated. I could whip out my degrees too but they don't matter. I am a parent asking a question for which you went in a completely different direction. Reign it in.
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!