First time wheelchair pusher at WDW

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
My aunt and uncle are going with us in April. My uncle had a stroke and will be using a wheelchair (his gait is very unsteady and he just can't walk long distances--or short ones very well). My aunt said this wouldn't be a problem because she pushes him at the hospital. I have tried to explain that WDW is a BIG difference...hills, heat, etc. We are going to try to put him in my scooter to see how he does (he doesn't drive a car but does drive a riding lawn mower) and if he's ok then we'll rent a scooter for him. If he can't do the scooter any advice for a first time wheelchair pushers at WDW? I think I know 1 or 2 but welcome all comments.

1) wear gloves to prevent blisters.
2) practice at home with hills and such (not just flat surfaces) beforehand

Here's a few hints:
Take him to Walmart, Target or any big store like that to try out one of the ecvs they have for shoppers. Those are large (with a basket at the front), so if he can drive one of those, he'll have little problem at WDW.

If he does get an ecv, have him drive around for a while at the resort before venturing out in crowds. Epcot is a good park to start with - large walkways and more spread out crowds.

Always lock the brakes when getting in or out of the wheelchair.

Be careful going down hills, you can pick up speed/momentum without realizing it until you get to the bottom.

If he wears shorts, make sure to put sunscreen on the legs. The pusher should have sunscreen on their arms/hands because they will be up toward the sun more than when just walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter