First time visit and need your thoughts. Thank you we are DVC MEMBERS

disneyfanbcv

Mouseketeer
We have never been to Hawaii . We are thinking in two years we will make that big trip fantasy a reality. Can anyone help with suggestions.
There will be 6 of us, no kids, and we are all in our 50's. We are active , nothing to hold us down.
When should we go ?
Where should we go?
Should be take the excisions they offer or go on our own?
Should we rent a vehicle?
Do our own sight seeing? Or hire?
And of course any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Non of us have been and want to make it the best we can for a 10-14 day vacation.
Thoughts????
THANK YOU! :):moped:popcorn::

My suggestions are based on the assumption that in two years things will be mostly back to "normal" and not in Covid protocol.

When should we go ?
We spent 16 days in Hawaii in mid-late September and had the most perfect weather. It didn't rain once, and with it being the start of school season, crowds were low where we went. Temperatures and humidity varied based on where we were - mid to high 80s with a comfortable breeze and low-ish humidity on Oahu, a little cooler and considerably windier on Maui, and warmer and more humid on Kauai. Just our experience, not sure if that's typical for this time of year. We would choose to go in late September again.

January-March is peak season as people look to escape the cold weather on the mainland. Its also prime whale watching season. The downsides of this, for me, would be a busier time with peak season pricing, the risk of logistical and flight delays due to weather on the mainland, and often it can be in the 70s this time of year. While that's comfortable for touring, its not ideal pool weather IMO. Especially since it can be windy at times.

I would absolutely avoid holidays and June and July. Mid-October also is busy at Aulani with Hawaiian school breaks.

Where should we go?
It depends on what you want to see! With 10-14 days, you'd have enough time to island hop at least once. We island hopped twice spending 9 days on Oahu (6 at Aulani, 3 in Waikiki), 3 days on Maui, and 3 days in Kauai. That would be too little time in Maui and Kauai for some people here, but it worked out well for us. It was our honeymoon and we knew it would possibly be a once in a lifetime trip, so we wanted to experience the highlights. We strategically planned our time in Maui and Kauai to catch what interested us most and we were happy with what we were able to do. Island hopping can eat up a good chunk of your travel day, so I suggest flying early in the morning or late at night so you still have most of the day in either place.

If you don't want to hassle with the logistics of island hopping, I would choose to spend the whole time on Oahu. It offers the best mix of natural beauty, culture, history, commercialization, beaches, city life, hiking, etc. You can find mostly everything Hawaii can offer on Oahu. With 10-14 days, I would do a split stay spending part of the time in Waikiki and part of the time at Aulani in Ko Olina. Waikiki is what people envision when they think of Hawaii and is a must do for this reason. We ended up really loving the atmosphere and walkability in and around Waikiki, and its unlike any other place you'd visit in Hawaii. Ko Olina, where Aulani is located, is in a planned tourist community in a more isolated part of the island and isn't conducive to much of the sightseeing and touring you may want to do. With a split stay, you can strategically plan your day trips based on location.

Aulani offers some excursions but they are limited and only some include transportation. I highly recommend renting a vehicle and exploring on your own. It gives you the freedom to do what you want and move at your own pace. We did do guided/organized bus tours from our Waikiki hotel to Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor. This is because these two are closer to Waikiki and we chose not to have a rental car during our Waikiki stay. There's also logistics with parking and ticketing that the tour company works out for you if you go with them. Everything else we did I researched and booked on our own. You will most definitely want a rental car during the Aulani portion of your stay due to its location.

Aulani offers some excursions but they are limited and only some include transportation.

The excursions that interested me the most in Hawaii, such as Volcano National Park and Na Pali Coast, Aulani was on the wrong island! I decided to spend my limited time and effort seeing Hawaii not Disney.

For Disney, I go to Disney World. It's a lot closer and cheaper.

-Paul

The excursions that interested me the most in Hawaii, such as Volcano National Park and Na Pali Coast, Aulani was on the wrong island! I decided to spend my limited time and effort seeing Hawaii not Disney.

-Paul
Volcano National Park is on a completely separate island (Big Island of Hawaii). I don’t think Aulani does an excursion to there.

-Paul
I may disagree with you there. The OP mentioned that she is a DVC member, which makes her stay affordable at a great resort in Hawaii. I think Oahu does not get enough credit for what it is. This is a biased opinion as I have not visited the other islands yet (we plan to go to Maui this summer). Oahu is very diverse. You have the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and Honolulu, the serenity of the leeward side (Ko Olina), beauty of the windward side with the best beaches along Kailua, excellent snorkeling at Hanauma bay, great ranch (Kualu), wonderful North Shore with Haleiwa to some amazing hikes. I don’t think other islands have these many diverse experiences. We love Oahu and Aulani is a great base to use to stay as well as explore the island. Most drives are around an hour unlike Maui, which I am currently researching and it looks like we will be spending quite a lot of time driving to explore the island. Big island could be even more.

Mid-October also is busy at Aulani with Hawaiian school breaks.

...Oops. Maybe I should see if there is a cabana still available after all... :lmao:

I may disagree with you there. The OP mentioned that she is a DVC member, which makes her stay affordable at a great resort in Hawaii. I think Oahu does not get enough credit for what it is. This is a biased opinion as I have not visited the other islands yet (we plan to go to Maui this summer). Oahu is very diverse. You have the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and Honolulu, the serenity of the leeward side (Ko Olina), beauty of the windward side with the best beaches along Kailua, excellent snorkeling at Hanauma bay, great ranch (Kualu), wonderful North Shore with Haleiwa to some amazing hikes. I don’t think other islands have these many diverse experiences. We love Oahu and Aulani is a great base to use to stay as well as explore the island. Most drives are around an hour unlike Maui, which I am currently researching and it looks like we will be spending quite a lot of time driving to explore the island. Big island could be even more.

We've been to the four main islands (Kauai, Oahu, Maui & the Big Island). PP said for THEM they wanted most to see sites on other islands, so it makes sense they wouldn't necessarily be on Oahu. We very seriously considered purchasing points at Aulani back in 2011, but ultimately did not because it is on Oahu. There is nothing wrong with Oahu, but as you said it IS more built up, and quick and easy to get around on and be done with. We would always want to couple a stay on Oahu with another island, but are always satisfied by visiting one of the other islands on its own without hopping. Maybe it is because we live in a large city so Waikiki has no draw for us... Its also more expensive in various ways (car rental, parking, resort fees, etc). The ranch you mention aside as I have not been, the other islands very much DO have as diverse if not even better experiences. Each island has their gems of snorkeling spots, lovely day hikes, and gorgeous beaches. I love them all for different reasons, but Maui is far and away our favorite so far, meeting a good balance of infrastructure and rugged more untouched areas.

What I can't argue with is how long it takes to get around the other islands though - no freeways there though you'll find strips of highways where you can go a WHOPPING 45 MPH!!! Most of the islands roads are sleepier.... it's Hawaii... island time. :)

I am planning a trip 5 days big island, 5 days Maui, and 6 Oahu (4 at Aulani and 2 Waikiki) The stay at Aulani makes the Oahu leg a little cheaper, since I am DVC too. I want to see a little more of the other islands. Definitely rent a car and get out hiking and take advantage of the water activities. I wouldn't do the Disney excursions, but definitely some of the local tours can get you access to places your wouldn't have otherwise.

We have never been to Hawaii . We are thinking in two years we will make that big trip fantasy a reality. Can anyone help with suggestions.
There will be 6 of us, no kids, and we are all in our 50's. We are active , nothing to hold us down.
When should we go ?
Where should we go?
And of course any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Non of us have been and want to make it the best we can for a 10-14 day vacation.
Thoughts????
THANK YOU! :):moped:popcorn::

I’m also a DVC Member and normally stay for 2-2.5 weeks when I go to HawaiI. Aulani is one of my home resorts, so I normally stay a week there and then spend another week on one of the other islands by booking an RCI property using my DVC points. I primarily travel during high season (summer and Christmas/New Year’s) and have been on Hawaii for most of the big holidays, including 4th of July. IMO the summer has better weather, but mid December is the beginning of whale watching season and I wanted to travel during that time at least once. Because I can only travel during high season, I just budget for the higher prices and enjoy myself.

So far, I’ve island hopped to Maui and the Big Island. Kauai is also on my list, but I’m still trying to see everything on the other islands first. Decide what you want to see and let that guide your choice. While you can pay to island hop for the day from Oahu, I wouldn’t recommend it. The cost can be very high and you typically have to be at the airport by 5am for your flight. I love Maui the best, but the Big Island has Volcanoes National Park which makes it a strong contender after Oahu. Flights on Hawaiian Airlines to the other islands are fairly cheap and only take about 45 minutes.

I let the activities I plan to do determine whether I rent a car and for how long. I usually pay for the airport shuttle to/from Aulani and rent a car from the Alamo at Aulani in advance only for the days I know I will need a car for sightseeing. Aulani does have some excursions that provide transportation. I have taken some of them and do so when I don’t want to drive myself or think that the logistics of doing it myself are too difficult. After all, I am on vacation and will sometimes pay for convenience. I do my own sightseeing if I am going somewhere that I think I will want more time to view the site (Pearl Harbor, museums, North Shore, Waikiki, Kuala Ranch, etc.).

Deciding where you want to eat will also determine whether you need to rent a car. When I stay at Aulani, I buy breakfast type groceries from the ABC Store across the street or the store in the lobby. For dinner, I eat at the resort, at other restaurants within the Ko Olina Marina area(MonkeyPod, ABC Store, Marriott, Roy’s, Four Seasons, etc.) or go to Kapolei or Waikiki on the days I rent a car. Aulani is in Ko Olina which is about 30-45 minutes(depending on rush hour traffic) from Waikiki. Getting an Uber there may be more difficult than getting one in Waikiki. Waikiki is very walkable, but parking can be expensive if you can’t find free parking.

if this is going to be your only trip to Hawaii, you will want to maximize your time on whichever islands you deci to visit. Have fun planning your trip!

-Paul
I'm not sure why my post was quoted, but I wholeheartedly agree. OP was asking if Aulani has excursions, presumably to avoid renting a car, and I was just advising that they do. Its in a person's best interest to rent a car and do their own excursions so they can see and do as much as possible, but Aulani does offer some with some limited transportation options in the worst case scenario.

I believe Aulani used to offer a day trip to Volcano National Park on the Big Island that included inter-island flights, but I'm not sure if that's still being offered. Many people opt to make their own day trip to VNP by taking an early morning flight to Hilo and then a late flight back same day. The flights are quick and frequent enough where this can be done, though its not ideal.

OP is also a DVC member, so it makes sense to stay at Aulani for that reason. I always encourage a split stay elsewhere on Oahu or on another island for the reason of seeing things like VNP or the Na Pali Coast, but that doesn't mean Aulani isn't worth the stay. Its still a beautiful resort with attention to detail that only Disney can do, and for those with kids, the familiarity and comfortability with Disney is an added perk.

...Oops. Maybe I should see if there is a cabana still available after all... :lmao:
LOL... I believe the school break is generally over Columbus Day. Aulani sees an up-tick in locals over that weekend because of the break, although who knows what the school schedule will look like in the Fall. Its also Canadian Thanksgiving, though I wouldn't expect that to have an impact until borders re-open.

I would leave your Maine winter ❄⛄🥶 far behind and visit during January-March ☀🌈 . We are also DVC and since parking is free to members, generally rent a car at the airport the entire trip. This is great for getting to the resort, making Costco runs, visiting anywhere in Oahu (can't get too lost...its an ISLAND!🏝), and generally doing all our sightseeing at our leisure. Making Aulani our home base the entire time in Oahu works for us.

I would split the trip and spend a few days on the big island (Hawaii) just to see the volcanoes and the lava caves.

Here's some tips I sent my sister in an email. Hope this helps!

Waikiki
This is the heart of Oahu’s tourist area, home to a many hotels, chain restaurants, night clubs, etc. It can get very crowded both day and night with tourists from both the US and maybe even more from Japan. Sort of like a mix between Rodeo Drive (Beverly Hills) and South Beach (Miami) with a dash of NYC (buskers) and LA (homeless).

Before Aulani, we’ve stayed in Waikiki several times, mostly at Sheraton properties, although we stayed at a very nice Embassy Suites there also. Parking a car in Waikiki is expensive ($30-$40/day depending on hotel).

If we visit Waikiki, we typically park at the International Marketplace shopping center garage (1st hour free, $2/hr after that) - https://shopinternationalmarketplace.com/visit-hours/mall-parking/
I think there may be validation from some stores if you spend more than $20?

Ala Moana Shopping Center
https://www.alamoanacenter.com/en.html
This is the big mall west of Waikiki with plenty of FREE parking and a great food court! We spend plenty of time here as Honolulu Sales tax is only 4.5% (My home city in California currently 9.25%…on anything non-grocery related).

Luaus
We’ve been to 3 on Oahu:
Polynesian Cultural Center - https://www.polynesia.com is run by LDS (the Mormons) but employs many locals. We went years ago but it was very educational and you can make a full day here with the tour and evening luau. The show was good but the food was just okay. And as with any LDS events, there is no alcohol or caffeine (cokes/coffee), etc.
Paradise Cove -https://www.paradisecove.com is in Ko Olina and close to Aulani and Mariott. We’ve been here twice and enjoyed it both times. Good activities before the show, okay buffet, and quality luau performance.
Aulani also runs a very nice Luau, comparable to any fine resort Luau (think Royal Hawaiian aka "The Pink Palace") -https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/luau/

Places we recommend to visit on Oahu:
Rainbow Drive-in -https://rainbowdrivein.com Good plate lunches, outdoor seating only, great local flavor.
Leonard’s Bakery -https://www.leonardshawaii.com/home/ Famous for their Malasadas (Portuguese doughnuts)…always freshly made and delicious.
Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck - http://giovannisshrimptruck.com Near North Shore, good shrimp scampi and rice plates.
Halona Blowhole - https://www.hawaii.com/oahu/attractions/halona-blowhole-beach-cove/ Very scenic drive up the east cost and great picture spot while you wait for the right wave to push water up the “blowhole”.
Hanauma Bay - https://hanaumabaystatepark.com Great for snorkeling
Diamondhead Trail - https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/hiking/oahu/diamond-head-summit-trail/ Great views from the top...once you make it up!
Dole Plantation - https://www.doleplantation.com - Pleasant pit stop on the way to the North Shore. Reminds me of a Stuckey’s or South of the Border type atmosphere. Has a train ride and a maze for kids. Pineapple tasting every 20 minutes? (pre-covid).

LOL... I believe the school break is generally over Columbus Day. Aulani sees an up-tick in locals over that weekend because of the break, although who knows what the school schedule will look like in the Fall. Its also Canadian Thanksgiving, though I wouldn't expect that to have an impact until borders re-open.

Randomly Canada's timing for their thanksgiving holiday is WHY we went to Aulani in the first place. We didn't have our reception the weekend following our wedding as many of my husband's family are Canadians, opting to do it the following weekend instead so they wouldn't have to choose one or the other. Since we had extra time to "waste" we hopped from Maui after our ceremony and stayed at Aulani. I wouldn't have thought of that as a draw at any rate... a 3 day weekend isn't THAT much more convenient..?

-Paul
Aulani isn’t Disney World. Great location, beautiful hotel, with lots to see and do in Oahu. You do get fun elements of the Disney experience, but that not why you go.

Randomly Canada's timing for their thanksgiving holiday is WHY we went to Aulani in the first place. We didn't have our reception the weekend following our wedding as many of my husband's family are Canadians, opting to do it the following weekend instead so they wouldn't have to choose one or the other. Since we had extra time to "waste" we hopped from Maui after our ceremony and stayed at Aulani. I wouldn't have thought of that as a draw at any rate... a 3 day weekend isn't THAT much more convenient..?
Families use the long weekend/holiday/time off from school & work to travel, no matter where they're from. We live in Buffalo so we frequently have Canadians on our flights (when the border is open), and Columbus Day weekend always sees an up-tick of Canadian travelers getting away for their Thanksgiving holiday. People meet up with family in vacation destinations to celebrate. Its really no different than American Thanksgiving, which is one of the busiest travel times in the U.S.

But, point being, that weekend coupled with Columbus Day weekend and a school break in Hawaii makes that weekend a busier one at Aulani.

For a first time trip for adults, the GO Oahu card is a reasonably good deal to help prompt you to see some of the sites at a discount--Bishop Museum, the Buddhist Temple, Polynesian Cultural Center, Kuleo Ranch (I know I misspelled this), and such. We took a food tour that focused mainly on the Chinatown area of Honolulu--if you are foodies, it is great! Pearl Harbor, Diamondhead--so much to do, so little time. We attend church on Sunday at the Episcopal Cathedral in Honolulu, then go to Leonard's for malasadas. The church was built in the 1860's by the royal family of Hawaii. I understand the Catholic Cathedral is also quite a jewel. Relax a lot, go to ABC Market if you don't feel like a big meal. While you stay, get lots of ideas for your NEXT trip.

-Paul

Aulani is not a theme park. LOL It's a beautiful resort on the Island of Oahu. If we didn't use our points to stay at Aulani, a trip to Hawaii would be out of our budget. There is plenty to see and do on Oahu, and as others have said, you can do day trips or split stays with other Island. OP, I highly recommend renting a car for your entire stay. It is nice to have to freedom to come and go, even if it is just to go get some food since Aulani is a bit isolated. We really enjoyed exploring North Shore, botanical gardens, horseback riding tour at Kualoa Ranch, and walking around Waikiki. And of course, relaxing on the beach. If you Google what to do on Oahu, a ton of stuff comes up. Then you can narrow it down to what sounds best for you. Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter