First time traveling with 2 people using ECVs and I have questions!

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
My extended family (9 of us) is going to Disney in June and my mom and FIL will be using ECVs. Both are able to walk short to medium distances here and there, but are getting up in age and both have some health issues that will prevent them from doing a ton of walking and standing for many days on end. This is my first time experiencing the ins and outs of what it's like using ECVs in Disney and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with all the questions I have... hopefully someone can help me out!

1. Can ECVs be used in the queue lines at the parks? I pictured they'd park the ECVs outside the entrance to the rides, then have to stand in the queues with everyone else. My mom seemed to be counting on being able to ride it all the way through the queues up to boarding the vehicles. I don't know how that would work... is there maneuverability within the queues and possible tight walkways or sharp turns? Are there any queues that have steps? Secondly, if they can ride it up to the ride, where does it go at that point and how do we get back to it when the ride is over?

2. Is there perhaps some sort of handicapped access to the rides? If so, does the entire party go with them so they can ride together?

3. If ECVs aren't allowed in the queues, can they at least bring a cane? I'm thinking one that might have a small fold-down seat so they can get periodically get some sort of relief from standing so much. And if so, where can they store the cane while on the ride? Can they set it down on the floor of the exit side of the vehicles, or perhaps give them to a CM to set aside until they get off?

4. Are there any other tips or words of advice you might have that would be useful?

Thanks!

My extended family (9 of us) is going to Disney in June and my mom and FIL will be using ECVs. Both are able to walk short to medium distances here and there, but are getting up in age and both have some health issues that will prevent them from doing a ton of walking and standing for many days on end. This is my first time experiencing the ins and outs of what it's like using ECVs in Disney and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with all the questions I have... hopefully someone can help me out!

1. Can ECVs be used in the queue lines at the parks? I pictured they'd park the ECVs outside the entrance to the rides, then have to stand in the queues with everyone else. My mom seemed to be counting on being able to ride it all the way through the queues up to boarding the vehicles. I don't know how that would work... is there maneuverability within the queues and possible tight walkways or sharp turns? Are there any queues that have steps? Secondly, if they can ride it up to the ride, where does it go at that point and how do we get back to it when the ride is over?

2. Is there perhaps some sort of handicapped access to the rides? If so, does the entire party go with them so they can ride together?

3. If ECVs aren't allowed in the queues, can they at least bring a cane? I'm thinking one that might have a small fold-down seat so they can get periodically get some sort of relief from standing so much. And if so, where can they store the cane while on the ride? Can they set it down on the floor of the exit side of the vehicles, or perhaps give them to a CM to set aside until they get off?

4. Are there any other tips or words of advice you might have that would be useful?

Thanks!
as stated most lines you can bring ECV with you. there are a few that require changing to wheelchair which are there to use Pirates is none that comes to mind. there are a couple that can not take ECV in line People Mover comes mind. I use the cane getting on and off most rides. most rides you just put on floor of ride but the CM loading ride will tell you how that is handled at that ride. you can not use the folding seat of cane as they are not allowed. only ride that I can think of with special access is Spaceship Earth and even using that could split up your group as only so many at a time. not sure how a group is handled at Haunted Mansion again ask CM at the ride. for rides with steps as you walk the line there will be a CM who will tell you group how to procede around the steps. tell mom most rides she can ride right up but plan to ask CM at each ride as she will not be first person with ECV that they have seen. if they do not use ECV in life I would have them practice at Walmart or other store with ECVs to be used at store so that WDW is not first place that they use one with the crowds of people. if you have another question let me know and I will try to answer

as stated most lines you can bring ECV with you. there are a few that require changing to wheelchair which are there to use Pirates is none that comes to mind. there are a couple that can not take ECV in line People Mover comes mind. I use the cane getting on and off most rides. most rides you just put on floor of ride but the CM loading ride will tell you how that is handled at that ride. you can not use the folding seat of cane as they are not allowed. only ride that I can think of with special access is Spaceship Earth and even using that could split up your group as only so many at a time. not sure how a group is handled at Haunted Mansion again ask CM at the ride. for rides with steps as you walk the line there will be a CM who will tell you group how to procede around the steps. tell mom most rides she can ride right up but plan to ask CM at each ride as she will not be first person with ECV that they have seen. if they do not use ECV in life I would have them practice at Walmart or other store with ECVs to be used at store so that WDW is not first place that they use one with the crowds of people. if you have another question let me know and I will try to answer
Thanks for all of your information, it's very helpful! My mom did get some practice on her newly purchased ECV this past March when we went on a 10-day cruise. I am glad she had some time to get used to it, and also for my sister and to get used to how to fold it and troubleshoot one time when it stopped working. My FIL hasn't used one though, and we won't be renting it until once we get there.

Is there always a CM at the beginning of each ride queue as you're entering in case we have questions before we go in, or are they further into the queue after you've been waiting a while?

Is there always a CM at the beginning of each ride queue as you're entering in case we have questions before we go in, or are they further into the queue after you've been waiting a while?
Yes and you can ask them question the only ride I can think of that does not is Astro orbiters

Thanks!
Take it easy. Slow and steady wins the race. Learn to love the turtle.

And it isn't as hard as you think it is. Cast Members are very helpful and will direct you if there is an alternate entrance.

yes for just that reason and about getting ECV back most rides the CMs move it to exit for you or will tell you at that point how it works there. remember your group wont be the only group with ECVs the CMs are used to dealing with them each day. I promise it is not that hard in the parks. with 2 ECVs in your group biggest problem I see happening if you use buses if having to wait for second bus to keep your group together as most buses only have tie downs for 2 ECV/Wheelchairs on each bus. I know there were some 3 spot buses but most were 2 last time I was there

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your information, it's very helpful! My mom did get some practice on her newly purchased ECV this past March when we went on a 10-day cruise. I am glad she had some time to get used to it, and also for my sister and to get used to how to fold it and troubleshoot one time when it stopped working. My FIL hasn't used one though, and we won't be renting it until once we get there.
if you can get him to try one at a store where he lives will help some. I would not want to start out on an ECV at Disney without some practice at stores because of the crowds in the parks. doesn't have to be exactly like the rental but gives idea of how they work and for him to get used to one

@laurajetter - search (look up there in the upper right corner of the page for the "Search..." box) for "first time ECV" (just like Google - you don't have to use the quotes to get results, but it can help) and you should get TONS of posts for first timers.

Probably the number one thing to tell everyone in your traveling party is this: We need to decide ahead of time, if a bus arrives and there is only one ECV spot, do we want to send half of the group with one scooter, and the other half of the group with the other scooter?

Other than that, the best thing to know with multiple ECVs is to have them drive single-file, towards the far right side, and have some of your group in front, some alongside both scooters, and some at the end. This will help keep them protected from some of the Guests at WDW - children and adults alike! - who don't pay attention, and don't understand that physics work, even when it's a scooter. A lot of people assume you can stop a scooter on a dime, but you can't. And, a lot of people are way too busy posting to Instagram, or trying to make last-minute FP+ and/or ADRs in the MDE app. Regardless, by forming a walking barrier next to them, you will help protect them from a bit of the "crazy"!

Last but not least, remember that in June, sunscreen will be a *must* - and for your scooter users, pay special attention to their arms, hands, thighs, knees, tops of the feet, shoulders, tops of the ears, and the back of the neck. Those are the areas most exposed to the sunlight.

Have a great trip!

1. Can ECVs be used in the queue lines at the parks? as a general rule, yes. the entrance will indicate whether transferring to a standard WC is required( keeping in mind that there may not be 2 chairs available at the same time) I pictured they'd park the ECVs outside the entrance to the rides, then have to stand in the queues with everyone else. My mom seemed to be counting on being able to ride it all the way through the queues up to boarding the vehicles. I don't know how that would work... is there maneuverability within the queues and possible tight walkways or sharp turns? Are there any queues that have steps? Secondly, if they can ride it up to the ride, where does it go at that point and how do we get back to it when the ride is over? you do need to be fairly proficient in driving one. you are directed to a viable path if steps are involved in the main standby line( to include possibly going through the exit. the ECV is bright to the exit point while you are on the ride if it ends at a different spot than you board at.

2. Is there perhaps some sort of handicapped access to the rides? If so, does the entire party go with them so they can ride together? yes, and no. most lines are mainstreamed so there is no alternative entrance( things like Spaceship earth I being an exception). yes the entire party will be together.

3. If ECVs aren't allowed in the queues, can they at least bring a cane? yes I'm thinking one that might have a small fold-down seat so they can get periodically get some sort of relief from standing so much these are NOT permitted while in line to be used with the seat. And if so, where can they store the cane while on the ride? it comes with you on the ride in most cases. Can they set it down on the floor of the exit side of the vehicles, or perhaps give them to a CM to set aside until they get off?

Thanks!

biggest things to consider: the buses may not have 2 empty spots for an ECV when it arrives, m or there may be people in front of you in the HA section who snag the spots. while the drivers will usually be able to call for another bus immediately, the air can still be quite long. rent from an offsite vendor so you can have them with you at all times. the walks to the transportation has and the size of the resorts can be problematic.

@laurajetter - search (look up there in the upper right corner of the page for the "Search..." box) for "first time ECV" (just like Google - you don't have to use the quotes to get results, but it can help) and you should get TONS of posts for first timers.

Probably the number one thing to tell everyone in your traveling party is this: We need to decide ahead of time, if a bus arrives and there is only one ECV spot, do we want to send half of the group with one scooter, and the other half of the group with the other scooter?

Other than that, the best thing to know with multiple ECVs is to have them drive single-file, towards the far right side, and have some of your group in front, some alongside both scooters, and some at the end. This will help keep them protected from some of the Guests at WDW - children and adults alike! - who don't pay attention, and don't understand that physics work, even when it's a scooter. A lot of people assume you can stop a scooter on a dime, but you can't. And, a lot of people are way too busy posting to Instagram, or trying to make last-minute FP+ and/or ADRs in the MDE app. Regardless, by forming a walking barrier next to them, you will help protect them from a bit of the "crazy"!

Last but not least, remember that in June, sunscreen will be a *must* - and for your scooter users, pay special attention to their arms, hands, thighs, knees, tops of the feet, shoulders, tops of the ears, and the back of the neck. Those are the areas most exposed to the sunlight.

Have a great trip!
and remember to apply sunscreen to backs of hands! don't ask why I say this

I'm all for someone trying out ECVs at the big box stores - but don't let it scare them away from using one. That huge basket in the front makes it much harder to navigate. I have my own scooter now that I vastly prefer to use while shopping. I can turn around, take corners and back up so much easier. It also goes faster in the parking lot.

I can't imagine trying to get one of the grocery store ones parked (probably too large for a bus anyway), but have no trouble with a regular ECV.

I too need to travel with two people who need scooters. I see the Go Go Ultra portable ones that come apart. Could two of those, disassembled, fit in the back of a minivan? I am not worried about weight - there will be two hefty guys to lift them. I am just concerned with space, as I really have no idea how big these are in real life.

I'm all for someone trying out ECVs at the big box stores - but don't let it scare them away from using one. That huge basket in the front makes it much harder to navigate. I have my own scooter now that I vastly prefer to use while shopping. I can turn around, take corners and back up so much easier. It also goes faster in the parking lot.

I can't imagine trying to get one of the grocery store ones parked (probably too large for a bus anyway), but have no trouble with a regular ECV.
I have gotten to the point that I have my husband load up my personal scooter when we go to Costco. I just can't stand the store ones.

I too need to travel with two people who need scooters. I see the Go Go Ultra portable ones that come apart. Could two of those, disassembled, fit in the back of a minivan? I am not worried about weight - there will be two hefty guys to lift them. I am just concerned with space, as I really have no idea how big these are in real life.

Best bet would be to call the rental vendor you intend to use. Have the make/model of the minivan you intend to use and ask them. They really are the "experts" for things like that! :)

Figured I would give a bit of a trip report as we ended renting two scooters. We rented through Buena Vista, the smallest, "portable" models. They seemed to be new when we got them from Guest Services.

We did try to take them apart to get them in the SUV, but couldn't figure out how to get the seats off. They seemed different form every set of instructions or instruction video I could find online. That being said, we had a QX60 and were able to get both in the cargo of the SUV. Had to go in the right way - remove the arm rests, lower the tiller, fold the seat back down and put them in backwards so that they could fit under the tail gate. We only used them for about 4 hours that day but the charge indicator didn't even drop one led down. They had a poncho in each basket, so I didn't take mine - but turns out their ponchos are tiny things which don't separate down the sides and can't cover the scooter. We got caught in a major downpour and the carts went all the way from Tusker House to the parking lot with no problems at all. So I would say I was pretty impressed with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!