First time to Disneyland

figment74

DIS Dad #211
I have been a fan of the Disney Parks for years. I've been to WDW more times that I care to admit. My job is such this year that I'm finding myself in SOCAL at least once a month. When Galaxies Edge reservations opened up last week, I was lucky enough to get a time on June 7th.

So I decided to buy an Annual pass to DL. I will easily be able to spend many days in the coming months, at the park. This weekend, will be my very first time ever in the Magic Kingdom at DL. I can't wait!

Here is my question. This is my very first time in DL, and I know that this park is smaller than the one in Orlando. What are some the key differences between WDW, and DL? With only 10 hours to explore the park this first time, what are my Must do's for this time.

Thanks for your input.

OMG!!! I'm going to Disneyland!

1. it is not called Magic Kingdom
  2. the main park is called Disneyland
  3. the second park is called California Adventures
  4. Go to Google Maps and familiarise yourself with the layout
  5. Disney property is a square shaped piece of land
  6. There are three security bag check areas.
  7. One security bag check area is located on the East side of the property, at the pedestrian entrance on Harbour Boulevard
  8. Downtown Disney, the Disney hotels and the main parking structure called Mickey and Friends are located on the West side of the property.
  9. One security bag check area is located at Downtown Disney
  10. One security bag check area is located at Mickey and Friends parking structure.
  11. There is a central esplanade, approx the size of a football field that connects Downtown Disney, Harbour Boulevard and the parks.
  12. Disneyland is located at the north end of the esplanade
  13. California Adventures is located at the south end of the esplanade
  14. The Fastpass sytem can be accessed in two ways
  15. You can obtain a free paper fastpass by using the kiosks in the park
  16. You can obtain a digital fastpass through the Disney App on your phone
  17. The digital Fastpass system on the App is called Maxpass and there is a daily charge of $15 to use this system
  18. Fastpasses can only be obtained on the day, once your ticket has been scanned at the entrance turnstiles
  19. Disneyland restaurants reservations open at 60 days in advance

I have been a fan of the Disney Parks for years. I've been to WDW more times that I care to admit. My job is such this year that I'm finding myself in SOCAL at least once a month. When Galaxies Edge reservations opened up last week, I was lucky enough to get a time on June 7th.

So I decided to buy an Annual pass to DL. I will easily be able to spend many days in the coming months, at the park. This weekend, will be my very first time ever in the Magic Kingdom at DL. I can't wait!

Here is my question. This is my very first time in DL, and I know that this park is smaller than the one in Orlando. What are some the key differences between WDW, and DL? With only 10 hours to explore the park this first time, what are my Must do's for this time.

Thanks for your input.

In case you have not found it yet, this is the typical place to start for WDW vets, and written by someone who I always agree with: ;)
"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

Thanks, this is really great info. I am adding Maxpass to my AP, so I'll have that covered. I like that Photopass is included. Since I'll be getting to DL after 1PM on Sun, I'm probably going to wait on the FP.

What about dinner, what is the place I should have dinner for my very 1st time at DL.. Also is it practical to hit both parks in my time frame. I know that I can't do everything. Just looking to hit the highlights.

I'm hoping since it's a Sunday night that it won't be overly crowded.

Thanks, this is really great info. I am adding Maxpass to my AP, so I'll have that covered. I like that Photopass is included. Since I'll be getting to DL after 1PM on Sun, I'm probably going to wait on the FP.

What about dinner, what is the place I should have dinner for my very 1st time at DL.. Also is it practical to hit both parks in my time frame. I know that I can't do everything. Just looking to hit the highlights.

Obviously lots of opinions on dining.

Maybe RBT where Walt liked to dine every day?

Blue Bayou is a favorite of mine too.

Sure, park if you want!

Thanks for your input.

Glad you're making the trip out to DL. It's different from WDW, and fun to explore. My first time, and I had been to WDW, I thought of it as "bizarro world" in that it feels the same sometimes, but then you notice that something is in the "wrong" place. It's really noticeable when you are looking for a restroom! You'll definitely have fun though and it's fun to compare and contrast. @HydroGuy is already here, so you're in good hands. Definitely start with his FAQ!

As for food, I am a big fan of Cafe Orleans. For counter service, which is generally better than at WDW, try to grab a corn dog from Little Red Wagon. At CA, I like Pacific Wharf Cafe and Award Wieners.

One note on the Photopass included with MaxPass - for ride photos you need to stop at the monitors and get the number to enter into your app. It is easiest to just take a picture and enter them later. I totally forgot this on my last trip, being so used to Magic Bands recording ride photos to my account automatically.

Have fun!

Sunday this week? Are you wanting table service or quick service? If TS get on the app and see what’s available and get your reservation in! If QS I enjoy French Market! You can look over all the menus in the app to get an idea of what you will like. A fun experience is to get dinner at Flo’s around sundown and eat outside. Then you can experience Sha Boom! That is when they turn on all the neon lights. It’s really neat

1. it is not called Magic Kingdom

Actually, when the park opened, it was called the Magic Kingdom. They moved away from that when WDW was built, but there are still some things in the park that call back to the old days. On the train, the narration says, a trip around the Magic Kingdom. There are others like that as well, but at one time, it was the Magic Kingdom.

Actually, when the park opened, it was called the Magic Kingdom. They moved away from that when WDW was built, but there are still some things in the park that call back to the old days. On the train, the narration says, a trip around the Magic Kingdom. There are others like that as well, but at one time, it was the Magic Kingdom.
I feel like there are still some times they refer to Disneyland as "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom"... maybe on the rope drop or welcome announcement? And the train, like you mentioned. I know I have heard it recently.

Disneyland
TS: Cafe Orleans
QS: Fried chicken at Plaza Inn

...Surprisingly, as I think about it. I don't think I ever had a TS at DCA (I do hear Carthay Circle is good) and their QS are okay. I much prefer eating at DL than DCA. Don't forget to make reservations on the app (much easier to grab reservations than WDW).

In terms of hitting both parks with max pass in 10 hours. It should be doable. Park hopping is infinitely easier than WDW. I would highly recommend that you study up on MaxPass tips and tricks, that will get you on the E-ticket rides within those 10 hours. With MP you can also get your FP sooner (90 minutes vs 120 minutes) or right after you use your FP. It was so easy to get FP, I had to set a timer to claim every 90 minutes.

Oh yah, bring an external battery. Good luck and have fun!

Keep in mind that although MK may be bigger, DL has more rides! If I only got to eat at 1 restaurant, I would choose Carnation Cafe on Main Street. Have fun!

If I only had to eat at one restaurant, I'd pick...Cafe Orleans and have a Monte Cristo. A Disneyland classic!
One difference I've noticed between WDW and Disneyland is that at WDW, you need to have a plan of attack. You need to strategize and know step-by-step what will be coming next. At Disneyland, I'm not sure why but...if you arrive early enough, you can do a lot of things and have a good time, and it sort of doesn't matter what your touring plan is.

This is all really great. I've managed to go to Downtown Disney the last 3 times I was in Anaheim. Dined @ Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen with no REs. another time I ate outside at the UVA bar. Both places were very tasty. I'm hoping that DCA will have TS with a bar that I can sit at, and have a beer. I presume that DL is alcohol free.

I've been to WDW so many times now, that my plan has always been very loose. What TS res could I get and what time. what nights we want to see shows. And recently what FP could I get for Flight over at AK, or Frozen @ EPCOT> Wasn't sure if I needed to at least have a framework. I know that once GE opens, all bets are off for that area of the park. LOL>

I'm really looking forward to this. .

Sunday this week? Are you wanting table service or quick service? If TS get on the app and see what’s available and get your reservation in! If QS I enjoy French Market! You can look over all the menus in the app to get an idea of what you will like. A fun experience is to get dinner at Flo’s around sundown and eat outside. Then you can experience Sha Boom! That is when they turn on all the neon lights. It’s really neat

Yes Mothers day. lol. Flight from VA will Land in CA around 11. Figure I'll be in the Park by 2. I am looking for TS for Lunch and Dinner. Happy to find a place Downtown Disney if it comes to that.

Obviously lots of opinions on dining.
Maybe RBT where Walt liked to dine every day?
Blue Bayou is a favorite of mine too.
Sure, park if you want!

Not sure what RBT is. It's so weird I'm used to having all info on all things WDW, now that I'm going to DL, I'm feeling like a total Newb. . lol

RBT is River Belle Terrace. The setting overlooking the Rivers of America is lovely, and the service is always kind, but the food is....just ok. The corn chowder is good and the desserts are usually good.

I feel like there are still some times they refer to Disneyland as "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom"... maybe on the rope drop or welcome announcement? And the train, like you mentioned. I know I have heard it recently.

Correct. DL is still referred to as the Magic Kingdom, as Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, etc. -- it just isn't THE Magic Kingdom (which is at WDW).
And the correct name for DCA is Disney California Adventure (note the non-possessive and the singular).

RBT is River Belle Terrace. The setting overlooking the Rivers of America is lovely, and the service is always kind, but the food is....just ok. The corn chowder is good and the desserts are usually good.

I liked my meal at RBT, but I think it's funny that they interpret "southern cooking" as putting a ton of sugar in everything! I'm from the South, and, well, okay, they're right, but I've never had such a sticky sweet sauce. Even the vegetables were on the sweet side! They may have overdone it a little - that said I would go back. The food was quite good. I had the Fantasmic! dinner package, with the corn chowder, fried chicken sandwich with vegetables and those super-sweet baked beans, and the Maleficent Dragon desert. The desert was actually a bit less sweet than those beans, and I loved the spicy jelly at the bottom. I'd recommend it.

I guess at this point the question I should be asking is, If all the TS Res are full, will I still be able to dine at the Rest Lounge/bar area on the CA side of the park?

I checked this morning, and there are no TS anywhere in DL, or CA. so I might have to leave the park for dinner, or possibly eat QS.

I guess at this point the question I should be asking is, If all the TS Res are full, will I still be able to dine at the Rest Lounge/bar area on the CA side of the park?

I checked this morning, and there are no TS anywhere in DL, or CA. so I might have to leave the park for dinner, or possibly eat QS.

Yeah, I'm sure Sunday will be full with special Mother's Day dinners, but don't worry. There are a lot of good QS options at DLR. Rancho del Zocallo or Plaza Inn may be good choices for heartier meals. Also, keep checking for dining reservations as cancellation's happen. We're getting close to the 24 hour mark, so there will no doubt be a few. Good Luck!

Yeah, I'm sure Sunday will be full with special Mother's Day dinners, but don't worry. There are a lot of good QS options at DLR. Rancho del Zocallo or Plaza Inn may be good choices for heartier meals. Also, keep checking for dining reservations as cancellation's happen. We're getting close to the 24 hour mark, so there will no doubt be a few. Good Luck!
I second @BrianL here, and would add that you will find out pretty quickly that DLR has on average much better CS offerings than WDW. I would choose WDW over DLR for TS for sure, but DLR is better at CS.

Here is some more insight on this: "What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467

If you are doing CS, then Jolly Holiday Bakery at DL seems to be a favorite for lots of folks around here. At DCA Flo's V-8 in CarsLand is up there on popularity as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter