First time @ Skipper Canteen, any recommendations?

What the heck... I always liked to tip cash so the waiter doesn't have to report it if he chooses not to.

Anyway, I really liked the cachapas and for kids my tiny one enjoyed his kids flank steak.
I wasn't thrilled with the vegetable curry stew, but is wasn't bad.

I thoroughly enjoyed Skipper's Canteen, I could have had a meal out of a couple bowls of the hot and sour soup and be totally satisfied.

Oh, did they change the policy at this place now? When I was doing my initial research back in February, they didn't take ADRs but was same-day only and walk-ins. Is it booking up much sooner now?

They have been taking ADRs for some time now. It was a walk in when it originally opened but it didn't last that long. We needed ADRs in December.

Hi,
I would be aware that this is happening, have any of you encountered it? I saw this on a previous thread for a Trip Report:

The ONLY thing we did not like was that when May brought out the bill, she told us that their new policy was that the guest had to put the tip amount on the line even if paying cash. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I believe it is for tax purposes but really? That is not my problem. I mean, I don't think a wait staff should even mention their tip. It's rude. It is boarderline rude to put the suggested tips at the bottom of the receipt...but that gets a bye because I do use it because it makes it easier for me to know what 18% is and then to be able to gage better or worse from there. But I was very put off at "having" to inform her of what kind of tip she was getting before she was done waiting on me. She did seem embarrassed by "having" to tell me that so that let her off the hook a bit but I still didn't like it.

That's strange, but if that's the case I imagine it could come about because servers may pool their tips and they want to be sure they aren't holding back their fair share. Or when it comes to tipping bus boys and bartenders same sort of situation where rather than working on honor system they have a set number to factor it from.

Hi,
I would be aware that this is happening, have any of you encountered it? I saw this on a previous thread for a Trip Report:

The ONLY thing we did not like was that when May brought out the bill, she told us that their new policy was that the guest had to put the tip amount on the line even if paying cash. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I believe it is for tax purposes but really? That is not my problem. I mean, I don't think a wait staff should even mention their tip. It's rude. It is boarderline rude to put the suggested tips at the bottom of the receipt...but that gets a bye because I do use it because it makes it easier for me to know what 18% is and then to be able to gage better or worse from there. But I was very put off at "having" to inform her of what kind of tip she was getting before she was done waiting on me. She did seem embarrassed by "having" to tell me that so that let her off the hook a bit but I still didn't like it.

Interesting had several TS meals in May & July paying cash and no mention of this.

When using a CC or room charge, we often pay the tip in cash

If approached with this, will politely have server summon manager & inform them I have absolutely no intention of complying with this.

Keishashadow, right???? Isn't it up to the customer how they choose to pay? We're going in a few weeks (haven't been since 1998!), and I really don't want to run into this....grrrrrr

Oh, did they change the policy at this place now? When I was doing my initial research back in February, they didn't take ADRs but was same-day only and walk-ins. Is it booking up much sooner now?

They've been taking ADRs since last summer (I had an ADR September 2016, walk-ups only on my previous trip in December 2015 when it first opened).

That is interesting with regard to having to write in the tip. I will just write the word "cash" on the tip line. That is always what I do when paying credit/debit, but leaving a cash tip. If the guest refuses to write in the tip amount, what are they going to do - call the cops?
Well... I suppose if they threatened to call Mickey I would comply.
:)

I was looking at trying Nile Nellie's Noodle Bowl with Duck - anyone try this? Or the same with chicken?
My son had it with chicken - he LOVED it! I got a taste and thought it was very good, too. I had the "Not Piranha" (it was grouper that day) and it was out of this world! One of the best meals we've had at WDW. :thumbsup2

I've had the whole fried fish twice and it was good both times (different fish each time). The S.E.A. Shu Mai was a tasty appetizer. I really like that I can get a bottle of Reisling with dinner now also.

The picture on Skipper Canteen shows a whole fried lionfish (I think)... I've been wanting to try one of these ever since a Caribbean boat skipper (on previous cruise vacation) commented how they were an invasive species and how if we spot one, we should tell someone and they'd go spear it for a delicious BBQ.

Do they let you know (and choose from) the types of fish available before ordering?

Unfortunately, no. Last September I did get the lion fish; but in May it was different...and that whole fried fish was the exact whole fried fish they served me in Tiffins with a heftier price, of course.

Thanks! I will avoid the fish at Tiffins, and try it at Skipper Canteen.... maybe they'd be able to tell me the type of fish before ordering. (I figure it is based on availability).

Btw, how was the lionfish?

How long does lunch take at Skipper Canteen?

I have FP+ at 7 dwarfs @ 11:40 & ADR @ 12:20... next FP+ @ 2:05pm .... just needing to know lunch duration; maybe I need to delay afternoon FP+ if lunch takes too long.

Thanks! I will avoid the fish at Tiffins, and try it at Skipper Canteen.... maybe they'd be able to tell me the type of fish before ordering. (I figure it is based on availability).

Btw, how was the lionfish?
As PP noted, your server will tell you what whole fried fish variety is available. I can't remember what it was a few weeks ago, but it wasn't lion fish.

I will put another vote in for the falafel, I enjoyed it immensely and consider myself a falafel fan. I found that the vegetable curry was okay, but not quite as good as the falafel. My group absolutely loved the bread service, so look forward to that! We found the honey to be very unique.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter