First time @ Skipper Canteen, any recommendations?

acln

Mouseketeer
I just booked an adr for dinner at Skipper canteen for our MK day in November. The menu is very intriguing, we are all pretty adventurous eaters and love to try new things. I wanted to go last year but we didn't end up having time. So, any recommendations/favorite dishes from Skipper canteen?

We love their apps more than the entrees, so we usually just share a bunch of those instead of getting entrees. Our favorites are the falafel, shumai, and the cachacas. The hot and sour soup is also quite good

We had the pork and the chicken and both were very good. They did "warn" us that the pork dish is made with a very fatty piece of meat and that was how it's supposed to be prepared. I didn't find mine to be that fatty at all though but I've seen others complain about it in reviews. Flavor wise I thought it was delicious without being too exotic.

I really enjoyed the "tastes like chicken" the one time I was there. Would probably get it again!

I loved the grouper. It's served in a broth with vegetables. I'd order it again.

I have one to not try if that helps. The thing that looks like lasagna but isn't. Wish I could remember the name! Anyway, I found it to be pretty bland and dense. Like something you would get froma school cafeteria.

I was looking at trying Nile Nellie's Noodle Bowl with Duck - anyone try this? Or the same with chicken?

Char Siu pork, the noodle bowl with chicken, Shweitzer Slush drink, and the Kungaloosh chocolate cake.

Question: the Char siu pork looks very red in all the photos I see, what is the flavor?

Question: the Char siu pork looks very red in all the photos I see, what is the flavor?
Think about the pork used in fried rice or egg rolls; the flavor is the same. It's like a candied chop, more sweet than spicy.

It's marinated in an Asian BBQ sauce. Not spicy at all and pretty mild. Agree with pp more sweet than spicy.

Oh, did they change the policy at this place now? When I was doing my initial research back in February, they didn't take ADRs but was same-day only and walk-ins. Is it booking up much sooner now?

Oh, did they change the policy at this place now? When I was doing my initial research back in February, they didn't take ADRs but was same-day only and walk-ins. Is it booking up much sooner now?

I made my adr on Saturday afternoon, it was one of two times available for dinner time (weekday in November). So I'm not sure when it changed but it certainly looks like it's being booked often.

We made our ADR while we were on the trip. I had my choice of times. We waited only a few minutes to be seated. My guess is that the place was at most 50% filled. In fact, most of the restaurants we visited were way below capacity. The only place that was busy was 50s Prime-time Cafe.

Hi,
I would be aware that this is happening, have any of you encountered it? I saw this on a previous thread for a Trip Report:

The ONLY thing we did not like was that when May brought out the bill, she told us that their new policy was that the guest had to put the tip amount on the line even if paying cash. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I believe it is for tax purposes but really? That is not my problem. I mean, I don't think a wait staff should even mention their tip. It's rude. It is boarderline rude to put the suggested tips at the bottom of the receipt...but that gets a bye because I do use it because it makes it easier for me to know what 18% is and then to be able to gage better or worse from there. But I was very put off at "having" to inform her of what kind of tip she was getting before she was done waiting on me. She did seem embarrassed by "having" to tell me that so that let her off the hook a bit but I still didn't like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter