First time renting a car at WDW - advice please.

If you have two adults, I would drop off your party and luggage at departures and then have one person return the car. This eliminates having to haul bags from the rental car location. SWA allows each person to check two bags so the other adult could just check your bag under your name if they reach the front of the baggage check line prior to you getting there.

You'll need to allow 30 minutes from the Alamo car return location to the airport
Completely inaccurate.
I forgot Alamo is on-site now. Years ago it was off-site. It's walkable but still allow 30 min. due to your unfamiliarity with the airport. Their counter is on level one.
Alamo has been inside the airport well over a dozen years.A
Renters simply need to follow signage from the rental return area into the terminal across the access road. Worst case, follow other passengers.
Zero need to visit the rental counter to return a car; it's all done in tbe garage, open 24 hours.

Are you staying at BW the entire time? If so, why not price out getting your rental at the Dolphin, via Alamo? You could return the car the night prior to your departure and take DME both ways.

Are you staying at BW the entire time? If so, why not price out getting your rental at the Dolphin, via Alamo? You could return the car the night prior to your departure and take DME both ways.
There's also a Budget location at the Doubletree at Disney Springs.

In the past, I've relied on Disney transportation combined with taxi or ride-share. Now I'm looking at the convenience and security of having a rental car for our resort only stay June 27 - July 5. I have a refundable booking with Alamo starting at the car care center and dropping off at MCO.

Any advice for moving about property or Orlando? We're staying at BWV and are also Universal passholders so we will be leaving property for at least a few trips over to Universal.

My other worry is dropping off the car at MCO. Our flight is at 9:30am on July 5, so a holiday weekend! We have TSA pre-check but will need to check luggage with Southwest. I need experienced perspective on the time needed to return the car. Is it usually a pretty quick return process and how long does it take to walk to the Southwest check-in area?

We just did this today, but had an evening flight. First time we've rented a car in a decade in Orlando. Had absolutely no issues. Showed up to car rental return a little less than 2 hrs prior to flight and it took literally less than s minute to "return." There are employees in the garage; they scan your car and roll down the windows while you're getting your luggage out and ask if they can email receipt. That's it and you're done. It's no longer than parking in short term parking in most airports. Just follow the signs. SW seemed to be the farthest ticket counter, but 2 adults and 3 kids got through everything and at our gate in under 30 mins.

ETA: No TSA precheck for us and we checked our own bags. If you have RAC check your bags; I wouldn't leave Disney until 730 for a 930 flight. That should still give you plenty of time with returning the rental etc....especially with precheck and not checking your own bags.

There's also a Budget location at the Doubletree at Disney Springs.
Most of the DS hotels have one of the car rental companies on site. You have to get there, to get and return the car. That can be an issue. I suggested Alamo at the Dolphin because it's so handy to the Boardwalk. I have had really great service there.

Most of the DS hotels have one of the car rental companies on site. You have to get there, to get and return the car. That can be an issue. I suggested Alamo at the Dolphin because it's so handy to the Boardwalk. I have had really great service there.
While this is true for those staying at the BW (as was the case for the previous poster) or another Crescent Lake resort, if you have to travel to/from your resort to the Dolphin to pick up or drop off a car (which we do routinely since we are DVC members with BWV as our home resort) you may find it more convenient to use the Alamo/National shuttle to/from the Disney Car Care Center. Alternately, getting to a DS hotel from an on-site resort is likely about the same as getting to the Dolphin from any non-Crescent Lake resort. Go to DS using Disney transport and walk across the street to the hotels along Hotel Plaza Blvd.

June 27 - July 5
RAC may not be open those dates. Keep the car, it'll be less stressful than trying to catch DME first thing in the morning. Take rt 417 to the airport (it has tolls), there is a gas station right as you're approaching the airport on the right. The drive takes about 20 minutes with no traffic. Return should be quick. I have not rented from Alamo at Orlando airport, only Avis - but the facilities are very close together so it should be a nice quick walk. Don't forget that TSA is changing security procedures and has asked folks to be at the airport earlier than normal. Good luck!

Last edited:
My tip... take a roll of quarters for tolls, first time we used paytolla, but they no longer support rental cars. The rental companies charge too many added fees.... cash is the best.

Last edited:
We rent a lot, always from MCO. The best part of renting at MCO, IMHO, is avoiding the DME falderal. So much quicker getting into the rental care and just going. Make sure to sign up for whatever the premium club is for the rental company (almost all of them have them and they should all be free to sign up), with most of the companies this will allow you to skip the counter in the airport and head out to the garage to pick up your car with very little waiting.

On the return trip we always fill at the Hess by the Boardwalk and the mileage is close enough to still be full when we drop off at MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter