First time renting a car at WDW - advice please.

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
In the past, I've relied on Disney transportation combined with taxi or ride-share. Now I'm looking at the convenience and security of having a rental car for our resort only stay June 27 - July 5. I have a refundable booking with Alamo starting at the car care center and dropping off at MCO.

Any advice for moving about property or Orlando? We're staying at BWV and are also Universal passholders so we will be leaving property for at least a few trips over to Universal.

My other worry is dropping off the car at MCO. Our flight is at 9:30am on July 5, so a holiday weekend! We have TSA pre-check but will need to check luggage with Southwest. I need experienced perspective on the time needed to return the car. Is it usually a pretty quick return process and how long does it take to walk to the Southwest check-in area?

Returns are usually quick. If you want ot make sure leave for the airport at least 2.5 hours prior to departure. The times to drop off and walk to Southwest are small.

In the past, I've relied on Disney transportation combined with taxi or ride-share. Now I'm looking at the convenience and security of having a rental car for our resort only stay June 27 - July 5. I have a refundable booking with Alamo starting at the car care center and dropping off at MCO.

Any advice for moving about property or Orlando? We're staying at BWV and are also Universal passholders so we will be leaving property for at least a few trips over to Universal.

My other worry is dropping off the car at MCO. Our flight is at 9:30am on July 5, so a holiday weekend! We have TSA pre-check but will need to check luggage with Southwest. I need experienced perspective on the time needed to return the car. Is it usually a pretty quick return process and how long does it take to walk to the Southwest check-in area?

Be advised rental car companies are currently operating with reduced staff in Orlando. You'll need to allow 30 minutes from the Alamo car return location to the airport but the Alamo shuttle will drop you off directly in front of Southwest's bag check area. You'll get through security fast since tourism will still be down at the end of June. I fly TSA-pre every 2 weeks out of MCO and I've been getting through security in less than 15 minutes ever since the virus hit. You'll be fine as long as Alamo drops you at the airport 1.75 hours before departure. That's 30 min for bag check, 20 min for security, 10 min for APM train & arrive at gate 45 min before departure. Don't forget your masks.😷

Be advised rental car companies are currently operating with reduced staff in Orlando. You'll need to allow 30 minutes from the Alamo car return location to the airport but the Alamo shuttle will drop you off directly in front of Southwest's bag check area. You'll get through security fast since tourism will still be down at the end of June. I fly TSA-pre every 2 weeks out of MCO and I've been getting through security in less than 15 minutes ever since the virus hit. You'll be fine as long as Alamo drops you at the airport 1.75 hours before departure. That's 30 min for bag check, 20 min for security, 10 min for APM train & arrive at gate 45 min before departure. Don't forget your masks.😷

Is Alamo far enough away to need a shuttle or is it walkable for two healthy people pulling a suitcase each?

Is Alamo far enough away to need a shuttle or is it walkable for two healthy people pulling a suitcase each?
I forgot Alamo is on-site now. Years ago it was off-site. It's walkable but still allow 30 min. due to your unfamiliarity with the airport. Their counter is on level one.

I forgot Alamo is on-site now. Years ago it was off-site. It's walkable but still allow 30 min. due to your unfamiliarity with the airport. Their counter is on level one.
The best thing to do is plan to eat a meal at the airport and allow that time to be your emergency backup time. That way if something happens on the way to the airport (flat tire), you just skip eating and still make your flight. The Panda Express and Chick-fil-A prices are almost the same as the ones outside the airport.

I don’t know if they are still operating a baggage check operation at MCO due to changes in procedure brought on by the virus, but SW had opened a bag check location right inside the car rental parking garage. If that’s still in operation, you wouldn’t need to haul your bags into the terminal and up to the departure level in order to check them. Also unknown at this time, will the Remote Airline Checkin desks still operate at the resorts? If so, check your bags before you leave the resort with the rental car.

The best thing to do is plan to eat a meal at the airport and allow that time to be your emergency backup time. That way if something happens on the way to the airport (flat tire), you just skip eating and still make your flight. The Panda Express and Chick-fil-A prices are almost the same as the ones outside the airport.
Since OP’s departure appears to be on a Sunday, no Chick-fil-A. They are closed on Sundays, much to our disappointment, since that’s our favorite in-airport quick serve franchise.

If it's me, I'd plan on pulling in to the car rental drop off two hours before the flight.
I'd plan on 45 minutes to get from Disney resort to airport.

That should allow some "slop" time.

Here's a current video on the rental car return. This guy is coming from the west on SR 528 toll (beachline) and going into the north entrance of the airport. The rental car signs on the north entrance funnel Alamo rental returns into the area you see just past the 2 minute mark. You can see what the garage will look like on approach.

Just curious if there's a reason why you aren't picking up the rental at MCO as well? You often pay a fee to pick up and drop off in different places, and picking up at MCO would also give you familiarity with the rental counter and location.

If Resort Airline Check In is operating, you could also drop your checked bags there any time between 5am-6:30am if your airline is participating. The only requirement, if your airline is participating, is that bags need to be dropped off no later than three hours prior to your flight. It would allow you to bypass the SWA desk/baggage drop once you arrive at the airport, and save you from having to drag your luggage around at the airport after dropping off the car.

Just curious if there's a reason why you aren't picking up the rental at MCO as well? You often pay a fee to pick up and drop off in different places, and picking up at MCO would also give you familiarity with the rental counter and location.

If Resort Airline Check In is operating, you could also drop your checked bags there any time between 5am-6:30am if your airline is participating. The only requirement, if your airline is participating, is that bags need to be dropped off no later than three hours prior to your flight. It would allow you to bypass the SWA desk/baggage drop once you arrive at the airport, and save you from having to drag your luggage around at the airport after dropping off the car.
For some reason, pick up and drop off at MCO cost an additional $170. I'm ok taking ME home on arrival and saving that money.

As to RAC, I may use it, but I may also be throwing things into my suitcase still and rushing out the door. It will take time to check the bags whether at RAC or at the airport. I'm open to either depending how the early morning departure goes for my family (cough cough grumpy teenager!) :D

For some reason, pick up and drop off at MCO cost an additional $170. I'm ok taking ME home on arrival and saving that money.
Gotcha. Sometimes they do jack up the prices for roundtrip airport rentals, but always worth pricing out!

As to RAC, I may use it, but I may also be throwing things into my suitcase still and rushing out the door. It will take time to check the bags whether at RAC or at the airport. I'm open to either depending how the early morning departure goes for my family (cough cough grumpy teenager!) :D
Yeah morning departures and teenagers don't mix well! lol! In my own experience, the RAC counter has always had minimal (if any) waits - much shorter than SWA counter (which is what we fly), which I have found can be a madhouse. But, no telling what that will be like in the coming months. If it were me, I'd try to drop my bags at RAC by 6:30, grab a last breakfast at the resort, and then head over to the airport.

Just a word of advice: Get your grumpy teenager to pack the night before. RAC is the way to go! So much nicer than checking a bag at the airport. In my experience it is much much quicker.

Can't you pickup AND drop off your rental car at the care center? Seems that would be the most convenient. Take the Disney bus to/from the airport then pickup your rental car onsite. We used the resort airlines checkin during our trip last year and worked out great. You drop off the luggage shortly before boarding the bus and then things go much smoother at the airport. Not sure if any of this changes with the covid19 issues, but probably the websites list what is/isn't operating.

A bit of the price difference, is airports charge their own fees for rental cars.

Can't you pickup AND drop off your rental car at the care center? Seems that would be the most convenient. Take the Disney bus to/from the airport then pickup your rental car onsite.
If they returned the car at the car care center, presumably they would then take DME, which would have a roughly 6:30am pick up time and it sounds like they're trying to conserve time in the morning. It would also mean they'd have to drop off the car either the night before or in the morning before DME. Dropping off the night before might save some money on the rental, but IMO, that's the only benefit.

My family and I started renting a car for each of our trips like 18 years ago. I became a rewards member with EZ Rental Car and unless I get a batter deal somewhere else, I usually go with them. I NEVER rent off-airport because that might cause delays. What I do is as soon as I have my Disney World dates, I book a car. I then check almost daily as the prices fluctuate and sometimes dramatically! I usually try to get to the airport about 2 hours before my flight. I have never had a "return" take more than 15 minutes. Coming from NYC airports, MCO is a breeze...great signage and system. Always SAD to leave but the process of returning is nice and quick.

As far as having a car on property, it's the best. We still use Disney transportation at times, but for the most part, we drive ourselves. The biggest benefit is being able to go from place to place a little quicker. We too go to Universal or City Walk during our Disney stays and of course, we drive there. As far as your specific return time, I'd shoot for 7:00am. Reason being that at that time, the airport will probably be very busy. In my experience, returning my rental and checking in are the easy part. Going through TSA screening is what takes the longest. We never leave Orlando early for that reason.

Bottom line, having a car is a nice treat. Moving around Orlando and the Disney area is easy for the most part - except I-4 at times. You'll be glad you did though. Good luck to you!!!

I would return the car the night before your departure at the car care center (with a full tank of gas) to avoid rushing in the AM.

Last edited:
As to RAC, I may use it, but I may also be throwing things into my suitcase still and rushing out the door. It will take time to check the bags whether at RAC or at the airport. I'm open to either depending how the early morning departure goes for my family (cough cough grumpy teenager!)
Just know if you use RAC, you need to have your bags completely checked in three hours before your flight. That will probably mesh with your DME departure, but it would mean SOMEONE has to wake up early to get the bags to RAC (counter opens at 5A, and there very well could be a line at that time).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!