First time Poly stay during refurb?

figmentfinesse

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend was hired last month at our local Disney store. We have 4 nights riviera booked with his discount in January but his ID still has not arrived after a month. One of his coworkers, hired in September, still has not received hers. When calling reservations they are saying no ID, no stay. I’m really disappointed and trying to look into what’s available for DVC rental wise, and Poly is attractive to me. We’ve done trader Sam’s, ‘Ohana, Captain Cook’s, so we know we like it there. Will it be too disappointing to stay w/o monorail and the main house being under construction?

Trader Sam's and 'Ohana are still closed, so if any of the appeal is that, I would call that problematic.

We were there for 2 nights earlier this month for our first Poly stay. We would have stayed in the DVC rooms anyways, so there was no change there. We didn't feel like we missed out on anything. The stores inside the main house are still open along with Kona and Captain Cooks. There was some construction noise around 4pm by the quiet pool on a Tuesday, but that wouldn't affect most people. No monorail is not a deal breaker- the walk to the TCC was very quick. There is also the boat that is going from the Poly to MK as well- I took that back.

Honestly, we were happy to get the Poly for a bargain! I didn't think we would like it as much as we did, but we loved it. My husband already said we have to stay here for the next runDisney weekend because it has the best shower of the Disney hotels!

The monorail will still be making the resort route, but you'll need to catch it at the TTC by walking over there. It's a short walk from the villas.

last night a poly of a 5 night trip...it has been a fantastic trip. Walked over to GF yesterday for breakfast. So no problem there.

Last question because you guys have basically sold me— is the quiet pool accessible late? At riveria as long as we were in by 11 no one kicked us out.

Last question because you guys have basically sold me— is the quiet pool accessible late? At riveria as long as we were in by 11 no one kicked us out.

Oasis Pool (the “quiet pool”) hours are 7am-11pm. Gates are MagicBand controlled and won’t work after 11pm. You will see mixed reports over time - some people report being in before 11pm and no one says a word, some report security coming by and clearing things out. Like with many Disney resort things, it’s a bit of a YMMV situation on any given day.

I was scheduled to be there in January in a studio, but my TA advised me not to stay there right now since I've wanted to stay there since I was 9 and she didn't want my first stay at my dream resort marred by all the construction going on - and I agree with her. Clearly, I'm in the minority of not wanting my first stay to be there when so much is going on construction-wise, but I feel good about my choice to wait until it's over to stay there.

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend was hired last month at our local Disney store. We have 4 nights riviera booked with his discount in January but his ID still has not arrived after a month. One of his coworkers, hired in September, still has not received hers. When calling reservations they are saying no ID, no stay. I’m really disappointed and trying to look into what’s available for DVC rental wise, and Poly is attractive to me. We’ve done trader Sam’s, ‘Ohana, Captain Cook’s, so we know we like it there. Will it be too disappointing to stay w/o monorail and the main house being under construction?

I think an argument could be made either way. If staying at the Poly is a once in a lifetime splurge experience, I would probably advise against it (but I honestly wouldn’t be doing any splurge/once in a lifetime style trips to WDW right now given the COVID restrictions). On the other hand, almost all open resorts are reduced in their amenities and offerings right now and the refurbs don’t really leave the Poly that much worse off than any other resort right now (honestly, I think the AKL is no better off than, or even worse than the Poly DVC at the moment).

The biggest con is probably the transportation disruptions (Obama/Trader Sam’s are disappointing, but I don’t think many deluxe resorts have all restaurants/bars open), but even then, the TTC was already closer or as close to the DVC long houses as the GCH. Otherwise, the pools remain open and most of the construction will have minimal impact on most of the DVC rooms. Since you were already planning on renting points, a stay at the Poly won’t be that much more affected than any other DVC resort right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter