First time not staying on site...am I doomed for FPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We're considering a quick trip in the Fall and it will be our first trip not staying on site. I struggled to get certain FPs we wanted last Fall at 60 days out, so I'm worried about losing that 30 days! Is there any hope for things like Slinky Dog and FEA at 30 days out? Thanks so much for any feedback/advice!

SDD is tough to get at the 60 day mark. Be realistic and do the big ticket rides at rope drop. We will be in the same situation this summer. 5 nights off property and 5 on. We can only have 7 total days of FP+ so we will have three days without FP at all. Sometimes i really miss the legacy FP. We have done SDD and FoP at rope drop and neither were that bad. Good luck.

SDD is tough to get at the 60 day mark. Be realistic and do the big ticket rides at rope drop. We will be in the same situation this summer. 5 nights off property and 5 on. We can only have 7 total days of FP+ so we will have three days without FP at all. Sometimes i really miss the legacy FP. We have done SDD and FoP at rope drop and neither were that bad. Good luck.
Thank you! We did SDD at rope drop last year and it worked out okay. We're hoping to hit HS in the afternoon/evening this year instead. I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers!

We did Slinky Dog at night right before the park closed back in early January. We still waited in line for about 45 minutes but it wasn't nearly as bad as the rest of the day.

I can't comment on SDD, as it was just opening last time we were there. However, we are offsite people and the only FP+ that's hard to get is FoP. Beyond that, everything is easy...either at 30 days or same day using refresh. We never rope drop.

We just got back from a last minute trip. I had less than 30 days when we booked flights and room. I was able to get FoP, which was the only one we really wanted. I just kept checking the MDE app in the mornings before we left the room or while I was in line waiting for other rides. Our 2nd day there it just popped up! Not sure about SDD, I've only booked that at 60 days.

At 30 days prepare yourself to not get FOP, SDD, SDMT or FEA. There’s always a chance that something will pop up closer to the trip, but it will take some effort to check often.

I think it partially depends on the size of your group, but at 30 days you can get SDMT and FEA. FOP will be harder but is possible the day of using the refresh method. SDD will be the hardest to get. I just logged in and checked for 30 days out and there's FP's for early in the day for FEA, late at night for SDMT. FEA is really easy now days. FOP & SDD are the challenging ones.

Thanks SO much everyone! In my head - 'hmmm maybe it's worth the extra $1500 to stay onsite so I can book fast passes...' lol. Luckily, my kiddos are too young for FOP, so that's okay. I was hoping for SDD and I'd be sad to miss out on a FP for SDMT, but maybe if I can be flexible with our times it'll work out. Or...I'll have to deal with the standby line for once! Thanks again!

I've just about finished a round of FP's for offsite at 30 days out. My results:
MK: Everything was available, including 7DMT. However, 7DMT was not available until 9:50 PM, so I didn't take it. I don't need to ride it that badly and didn't want to tie up 4th+ passes for the day. Space Mtn and Big Thunder were in the noon vicinity at opening.
EP: No issues. Even Frozen was available later in the day. I think we're finally starting to see drops on that one.
AK: To my surprise, I was able to snag a 7:40 PM FoP. Did some time refreshes and saw 8:00 PM come up several times, nothing earlier. I did take that one and just shifted my day to the afternoon. Safari wasn't popping up any earlier than noon anyway.
HS: No SDD. TSM was even a bit of a challenge and I think I have that in mid-afternoon

Overall, I had better luck doing this (March) trip than I did with one a couple weeks before Christmas.

Good luck!

You probably won’t get SDD or SDMT at the 30 day mark, but if you invest some time stalking mde, you can pick them up. I couldn’t get FOP or SDD at 60+5, but added them on a couple of weeks afterwards. Check for same day too. Availability pops up all the time. You just have to be there when it does.

Have you considered the Early Morning Magic at Toy Story Land? You can go on the three rides multiple times for ~1 hour. It comes with a breakfast buffet too!

I can't comment on SDD, as it was just opening last time we were there. However, we are offsite people and the only FP+ that's hard to get is FoP. Beyond that, everything is easy...either at 30 days or same day using refresh. We never rope drop.

I may have asked before, so forgive me. What's your family size? It's pretty cool to hear you say rope drop is not your thing and you've still done well on rides and FPs. Do you do standby lines at all or are you just lucky enough to really know how to utilize fastpass where you don't have to do standby?

I may have asked before, so forgive me. What's your family size? It's pretty cool to hear you say rope drop is not your thing and you've still done well on rides and FPs. Do you do standby lines at all or are you just lucky enough to really know how to utilize fastpass where you don't have to do standby?

@Klayfish and @JETSDAD are the resident FP refresh experts around here. Follow their advice and you’ll do just fine.

We don’t do rope drop either. It’s just too crowded and stressful and not an efficient use of our time.

Refreshing for additional FPs plus staying until later in the evening when the lines get short will get us on everything multiple times. We waiting in only one standby line longer than 10 minutes on our last visit.

@Klayfish and @JETSDAD are the resident FP refresh experts around here. Follow their advice and you’ll do just fine.

We don’t do rope drop either. It’s just too crowded and stressful and not an efficient use of our time.

Refreshing for additional FPs plus staying until later in the evening when the lines get short will get us on everything multiple times. We waiting in only one standby line longer than 10 minutes on our last visit.

I look for @JETSDAD posts on the regular! He and I have talked in chat about my FP strategy in June. He is a HUGE help when it comes to FP! I don't talk to @Klayfish as much, but still appreciate the FP knowledge he lends too! I don't mind doing rope drop. Son and I are early risers to begin with. I don't remember the last time my son slept past 8:30 in the morning! :rolleyes: I can do it easily! :rotfl2: But not my 11 year old. Even when he's sick, he'll wake up around 7 or so and maybe just lay on the futon and rest most of the day and get a nap in, but his little body "allows" him to rise and shine earlier than most like to do so! :scared1: I guess it's so easy for him because he goes to an early start school, and has been for the last 6 years. It starts at 7:30. He's up by 5:15 so he can get everything done before getting on the 6:30am bus for school. Klayfish swears by that 9am or 9:30 FP! Says RD just isn't necessary if you utilize your FPs correctly. I guess because the rides I'm really interested in are all tier 3s...Soaring, TT, and FEA....that's my reason for doing rope drop at EPCOT. I'm going to RD FEA then go to the Elsa & Anna meet and greet. Use my TT FP and then walk over to Soarin standby. I'll probably do Figment and Living with the Land as my 2nd and 3rd and then look to get the Character Meet with Mickey and gang as my 4th. While in line for Soarin' I'll see about moving my other two FPs up. Hope I'm successful!

I look for @JETSDAD posts on the regular! He and I have talked in chat about my FP strategy in June. He is a HUGE help when it comes to FP! I don't talk to @Klayfish as much, but still appreciate the FP knowledge he lends too! I don't mind doing rope drop. Son and I are early risers to begin with. I don't remember the last time my son slept past 8:30 in the morning! :rolleyes: I can do it easily! :rotfl2: But not my 11 year old. Even when he's sick, he'll wake up around 7 or so and maybe just lay on the futon and rest most of the day and get a nap in, but his little body "allows" him to rise and shine earlier than most like to do so! :scared1: I guess it's so easy for him because he goes to an early start school, and has been for the last 6 years. It starts at 7:30. He's up by 5:15 so he can get everything done before getting on the 6:30am bus for school. Klayfish swears by that 9am or 9:30 FP! Says RD just isn't necessary if you utilize your FPs correctly. I guess because the rides I'm really interested in are all tier 3s...Soaring, TT, and FEA....that's my reason for doing rope drop at EPCOT. I'm going to RD FEA then go to the Elsa & Anna meet and greet. Use my TT FP and then walk over to Soarin standby. I'll probably do Figment and Living with the Land as my 2nd and 3rd and then look to get the Character Meet with Mickey and gang as my 4th. While in line for Soarin' I'll see about moving my other two FPs up. Hope I'm successful!

My bunch isn’t early risers at all. It’s always been much easier to let them stay up late than to make them get up early.

On our last Epcot visit, we had prebooked Frozen as our tier 1 at 11:30. We added Soarin as our 4th FP then Test Track as our 5th. Later we picked up Frozen again as our 6th then Soarin as our 7th after lunch at Beaches & Cream. We could have done Test Track again too but my family doesn’t care for the current version so we just hopped over to DHS.

Have you considered the Early Morning Magic at Toy Story Land? You can go on the three rides multiple times for ~1 hour. It comes with a breakfast buffet too!

I was going to say, if staying offsite is saving $1500, the OP can spring for one or two extra events like that to get the rides they want and still come out ahead!

We're a party of 5. DW, me, DS14, DD11, DS11 (twins). We used to rope drop in the old paper fast pass days, but with the current system it's unnecessary. If you're up early or want to rope drop, there's nothing wrong with it. The parks are less crowded in the first hour, there's no doubt. However if you know how to use MDE and refresh, you can be every bit as "productive" as a rope dropper, even if you show up at noon.

RnR is my favorite ride in WDW, I bet I've been on it at least 100 times. I honestly don't think I've ever ridden it standby, certainly not since the current system came out. Same with 7DMT, I don't think we've ever been in standby. Ditto for Test Track, PP, Na'vi and Space Mountain...can't remember last time we did those standby. For other popular rides such as TSMM, Splash, BTMRR, FEA, Soarin', ToT, etc...we ride them using FP+ probably 90% of the time, but there are times in the day when you can do them standby with a 10 minute wait. TSMM and Soarin' are straight walk on rides in the last 30 minutes before park closing. FEA is the same in the first hour (but you don't need to show up at 8:15am for a 9am park open), BTMRR and Splash are walk ons during fireworks.

Here's an example of how we'll set up our FP+. We'll set them back to back to back. So let's say we pick times of 10am-11am, 11am to noon, noon to 1pm. We show up in the parks at 10:50am. So we're at the back of our first FP+ window. We go do that ride, and when we get off, it's already time for FP+ #2. Let's say it's now 11:10am. We tap into that, and as soon as we do, I jump on MDE and modify FP+ #3. I move the time to 11:15am, so that when we get off FP+ #2, it's time for FP+ #3. Doing that, we'll have all 3 initial FP+ done within the first 45-60 minutes we're in the park. Then we start grabbing more...if we want. Some days we just go ride to ride to ride, some days we take a more leisurely pace and may go do things like Pixar or CoP or Laugh Floor.

Don't worry, even if you don't do the things we do, if you have a basic understanding of the system you'll be fine at 30 days. Since we're offsite people AND have APs when we go, we're also limited to having only 7 days of FP+ in any 30 day period. Our summer trips are over 2 weeks long, so that means days 8 and beyond can't be booked until we've used day 1 on our trip and so on. In other words, we can only book them 7 days in advance. We still do just fine.

However if you know how to use MDE and refresh, you can be every bit as "productive" as a rope dropper, even if you show up at noon.

You can apply this strategy along with rope dropping and accomplish even more. That’s assuming that there’s availability when you try and bump up the 3nd FP.

One tip I read about that I’m going to try is building in an hour leeway. In other words, schedule FP’s at 8, 10 and 11. The theory is, use the first FP, then modify FP #3 to an earlier time. Assume you’re off the first ride at 8:15. If you were booked at 8,9 and 10, you wouldn’t be able to modify for the 8:15 time because of the 9 am FP. But with that hour gap, you can. Seems like this would work whether you used rope drop or not.

But, assuming you’re entering at rope drop, it’s possible you could ride the 1st ride standby, then use the FP and modify. Again, this assumes there’s availability, but you could add that new FP for anything that was open, and that early, something would be.

Does that make sense? Can anyone shoot a hole in that strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter