First time no stroller advice

Lacoccinelle

Mouseketeer
My husband is doing the happy dance to be done with strollers on the crowded bus, but I am stressed! I love all that the stroller holds so that I don’t need to. We are going in August and I know a backpack will be so hot to wear and honestly super annoying to carry.

Any tips on consolidating?
Also, what happens on thrill rides if I have a backpack?

I will reduce water bottles to two and refill at park (or just get the free water).
We usually take snacks, ponchos, Advil, fans or heat towels. I used to even take a change of clothes when they were little. I know somethings need to give. Ideally, I will use my larger purse or fanny pack 🤪. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Are the kids old enough to carry their own weight?

I'd just bring the ponchos and advil. Even the ponchos are a stretch. I haven't been in the summer in a while, but I don't remember it being sustained rain. Usually by the time you open the poncho, put it on, it's stopped raining...

Congrats on being stroller free! LOL
I remember feeling the same way on our first stroller free trip, but honestly I was worried for nothing. It is SO freeing to not have to lug that thing on and off the monorail, park it for the rides, and navigate through the crowds. We were easily able to consolidate down to one small backpack that DH carries. All we bring is sunscreen, a few bottles for water, autograph books, and an extra phone battery. I carry a small purse with things like advil, chapstick, etc. Depending on the time of year and if you plan to be in the parks all day, you may want to bring sweatshirts or jackets for the evening....in that case we either stuff those into the backpack or you could get a locker. Also, if you're staying on property you can have any souvenirs you buy shipped back to your resort. Honestly, you won't miss lugging around all the "extra" stuff. Enjoy!

Thanks! The kids will be fine. May get whiny, but oh well 🙄 I will just remind them we are at the happiest place on earth. I feel this way about ponchos. We used them one time last trip in August. We are on property and will ship souvenirs back to room. We can also go back to resort if too wet.

What about the thrill rides?

You can always rent a double stroller when you get to the park. In some ways this is the best of both worlds because you are still stroller-free on the crowded bus but you have somewhere to put your stuff when going around the park.

You can always rent a double stroller when you get to the park. In some ways this is the best of both worlds because you are still stroller-free on the crowded bus but you have somewhere to put your stuff when going around the park.

Or a single just for our stuff! Lol

My husband is doing the happy dance to be done with strollers on the crowded bus, but I am stressed! I love all that the stroller holds so that I don’t need to. We are going in August and I know a backpack will be so hot to wear and honestly super annoying to carry.

Any tips on consolidating?
Also, what happens on thrill rides if I have a backpack?

I will reduce water bottles to two and refill at park (or just get the free water).
We usually take snacks, ponchos, Advil, fans or heat towels. I used to even take a change of clothes when they were little. I know somethings need to give. Ideally, I will use my larger purse or fanny pack 🤪. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Congratulations on reaching the next milestone in bring up children:).
Firstly, I doubt you'll need a backpack big enough to worry about it fitting on thrill rides anymore. Should the weather require it a zipper front hoodie can be tied around the waist.
I use a wristlet similar to this:

https://www.c21stores.com/products/...ia-leather-wristlet/6015-0560.html?lid=search

My bag is custom made and a bit larger to carry the mini folding umbrella I prefer over the ponchos the others use. It also works as an evening bag, and is used daily at home in the city. The less I have to carry OR pack, the happier I am.
In addition to the umbrella, my phone which is in a Mophie case that protects the exterior and has an extra internal battery for charging are in it. Also a mini credit card case/wallet that holds, cash, c/c, AP card, gov't issued ID, and a zipper pocket for change and paper receipts.
A lipstick and mini tube of high SPF sunscreen from the hotel's bthrm amenities, an ibuprofen pill and I'm done. I don't bother w/ sunglasses since the hats I wear have a big enough brim to preclude the need.

Other members of the family carry their ponchos in their cargo shorts or wristlet phone carrier for DGD, as well as cash and when applicable, c/c. That's it since we are all too lazy to lug around anything more. When any of the kids carry a back pack it's to make a fashion statement which kinda makes me laugh.

We no longer carry water bottles or the free refillable containers via the dining plan since we can get free ice water cups at will via the various QS locales and generally w/o waiting on a line. They are frequently set up on the counter for you to just pick up and go.

Any packages/souvenirs are sent back to the hotel via Disney's free service; love being unhindered by stuff.

Just treat a park visit like a a visit to the mall and you'll do fine:).

I remember having the same concerns although like your husband I was so happy to not have to deal with it any more. We had 3 years in between the last trip with a stroller and our first one without one. My son was 4 on one trip and 7 on the other.

The first trip, my oldest started carrying a bag so our stuff was spread out and it worked out. Then last year (our 2nd trip without a stroller), my youngest started carrying a bag. The kids carried lightweight drawstring bags and I adjusted them so they kind of sat on their rears instead of their backs. Each bag had their poncho, cooling towel, a snack, and a couple of fans. My son also had his headphones for fireworks and an information card to show a CM if he got separated from both of us. My oldest also carried her phone and some money, sanitary items plus my poncho and cooling towel. I converted to a cooler backpack and carried our drinks with ziplock bags of ice. They had to stay away from souvenirs they couldn't slip into those bags.

I love the stroller free life.

I feel your stress! I really disliked our first year that DS didn't need the stroller anymore :( I packed water bottle, sunscreen, wallet, and hand sanitizer....so not a ton. It was amazing how little we were able to consolidate too! It was also great just being able to ' go'...... Then we had another baby.. so we are back to stroller use lol. You are going to have such a fantastic trip, now that your kids are getting bigger, the excitement just gets better....you can enjoy new experiences! Have a magical trip :)

Thank you all so much for this great advice! I guess I never though making my kids carry a little bag if they need it. I also need to let go of my Type A prepared for everything feeling!

You really don't need any of that with you. If you need pain meds, they have them for free at first aid, or what I do is just put a few in a small snack size ziplock baggie and it goes in my pocket. No need to bring the whole bottle. We hate ponchos because the water just drips down your leg and you get so hot in them. We all just wear a hat and if we get wet, oh well. You usually dry pretty quick. And I usually just carry a water bottle with me. I put a small lip gloss in my pocket and carry a very small wallet with my ID in it and a few bucks. In 20+ years, we have never needed anything else. Have fun.

I agree, I would have the kids help carry whatever they need. Be it in a small bag or even a fanny pack.

I have a cross body bag that I use that holds everything I need, even a poncho or small umbrella. I was just at the parks, at the heat this month has been no joke! I could easily shift how I wore it if it felt too hot in one spot. Definitely bring in a refillable water bottle, you will want to be constantly sipping at it.

I like smaller bags that are still reasonable. What I would probably do is go over what you really think you might need. With a stroller it might have been easier to pack more than you needed because you had space to spare. Now that you are trying to get rid of that extra space take a closer look at what you actually need. If you're concerned about heat and a backpack maybe opt like others mentioned bags that go around your hips, even cross body styles.

I think it's a good idea too to let the kids carry too because it can give them a sense of responsibility or ownership of their stuff.

Since giving up the stroller we are bag free!! We each carry a water bottle, but sunscreen etc is handled in the room. Snacks are either when we return to the room at lunch or something small we buy to share. If you get wet, you’ll dry off soon enough; if you have a headache go to first aid; if you get tired, sit down. I carry my phone and cards on a lanyard and that’s it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter