First time late Jan trip with 4.5 yr old

1Pam

Earning My Ears
My kiddo and we have been through a lot this year so this is a surprise. All your comments are appreciated.

Based on the crowd calendar I picked a couple of days each for MK, Epcot and a day each for HS and AK. Does that sound good? We don't have hopper.

Not staying beyond 5pm, not doing adult rides. Staying offsite and driving. Breakfast reservations at 8 am are well nigh impossible to get but will look closer to the date just in case. Would you avoid lunch reservations to just focus on rides? And try for a couple of dinner ones for character interaction?

Just got an email from Touring plans, which changed the crowd level for each day significantly from what I had planned for. I am wondering how one plans for FPs and ADRs if that keeps happening?

Are there good weekdays generally for each park? I'd imagine an Epcot or HS be best for a Saturday typically, is that right?

It seems save for a couple of rides in each park, from a height perspective most rides are doable. But in reality are there any rides in each park that can be skipped from an age perspective? I'd like to get my touring plans done before my FP window opens up next week.

I picked a couple of days each for MK, Epcot and a day each for HS and AK
This sounds perfect.
Just got an email from Touring plans, which changed the crowd level for each day significantly from what I had planned for.
Touring plans themselves says that a good plan is five times more important than which day you go to a park.
are there any rides in each park that can be skipped from an age perspective
At that age, I would try everything he is tall enough for. Some will disagree, but that's my opinion.

My kiddo and we have been through a lot this year so this is a surprise. All your comments are appreciated.

Based on the crowd calendar I picked a couple of days each for MK, Epcot and a day each for HS and AK. Does that sound good? We don't have hopper.

Not staying beyond 5pm, not doing adult rides. Staying offsite and driving. Breakfast reservations at 8 am are well nigh impossible to get but will look closer to the date just in case. Would you avoid lunch reservations to just focus on rides? And try for a couple of dinner ones for character interaction?

Just got an email from Touring plans, which changed the crowd level for each day significantly from what I had planned for. I am wondering how one plans for FPs and ADRs if that keeps happening?

Are there good weekdays generally for each park? I'd imagine an Epcot or HS be best for a Saturday typically, is that right?

It seems save for a couple of rides in each park, from a height perspective most rides are doable. But in reality are there any rides in each park that can be skipped from an age perspective? I'd like to get my touring plans done before my FP window opens up next week.

In the pre Pandora days, AK was a good Saturday park not sure how it's changed now.
Everyone has their own opinion, but with the character dining, you're paying for the characters and not the food, so I would try for a breakfast time as breakfast is MUCH HARDER to screw up.

You might try Youtubing some of these restaurants to see if they fit you bill

In Epcot, Garden Grill the character interaction is great and the food is good. You can save a couple of hours standing in character lines by doing this one and they will stop by you table 2 or 3 times.

In Hollywood there is a very bad restaurant with very good character interaction, Hollywood & Vine if your little one like Jake and the Pirates he will love this one.
In Animal Kingdom, Tusker House good food, good character interaction.
In MK if your little one likes Pooh there is Crystal Palace, decent food and good character interaction.
A good character meal can save you a couple of hours in lines.

I took my 3 year old last month, so these tips are based on that experience:

Character meals are adorable, but most of the food is subpar and extremely expensive. Next trip (12/18) we are going to get FP for in-park character meets and save the $$ on character dining. The bill for my son and I for dinner at Garden Grill was well over $100!

Hollywood Studios is mostly shows right now, so if your son doesn't like sitting still and watching then you may find your options there limited.
You can have plenty of fun at Epcot, I believe he's tall enough for everything and should be fine (Mission Space: Green is one you may want to check out on YouTube).
Magic Kingdom is awesome. Start with Barnstormer before trying the bigger coasters. You'll need a FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, otherwise don't bother. Big Thunder and Splash Mountains are also options, if he's brave enough.
Animal Kingdom is great if he likes looking at the animals or will enjoy dancing along with the many musical acts. Not much in the way of rides. You need a FP for Pandora rides, and I don't know that he's tall enough for Flights of Passage, Expedition Everest, or Primeval Whirl. Many people say Dinosaur also frightens younger kids, I'll be playing that one by ear next trip. That only leaves Triceratops Spin, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Na'vi River Journey and several shows. You may do better to do a 3rd day at MK versus a 2nd at AK, depending on your kid.

Have a great trip!

I took my 3 year old last month, so these tips are based on that experience:

Character meals are adorable, but most of the food is subpar and extremely expensive. Next trip (12/18) we are going to get FP for in-park character meets and save the $$ on character dining. The bill for my son and I for dinner at Garden Grill was well over $100!

Hollywood Studios is mostly shows right now, so if your son doesn't like sitting still and watching then you may find your options there limited.
You can have plenty of fun at Epcot, I believe he's tall enough for everything and should be fine (Mission Space: Green is one you may want to check out on YouTube).
Magic Kingdom is awesome. Start with Barnstormer before trying the bigger coasters. You'll need a FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, otherwise don't bother. Big Thunder and Splash Mountains are also options, if he's brave enough.
Animal Kingdom is great if he likes looking at the animals or will enjoy dancing along with the many musical acts. Not much in the way of rides. You need a FP for Pandora rides, and I don't know that he's tall enough for Flights of Passage, Expedition Everest, or Primeval Whirl. Many people say Dinosaur also frightens younger kids, I'll be playing that one by ear next trip. That only leaves Triceratops Spin, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Na'vi River Journey and several shows. You may do better to do a 3rd day at MK versus a 2nd at AK, depending on your kid.

Have a great trip!

So helpful!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!