First Time in California and Disneyland

linda d-isney

Earning My Ears
My DD and 2 friends are booked for a trip to DL OCT 14 to OCT 21. We have Oct 14 check in to Oct 18 check out at Paradise Pier. My friend and her sister are heading to Universal and Hollywood area and my DD and I are going somewhere else. I do not have any hotel booked for the 18th to the 21. I have 4 days park hpper and plan to do the Halloween evening.

I'm torn between renting a car and going down to San Diego or staying in Annaheim and doing some of the bus tours from their. the two I am interested in is Annaheim tours Deluxe LA tour which includes a 2 hour trip to a movie studio and a tour that includes a whale watching time.

In San Diego I would do the zoo safari, beach stops and hopefully finding a whale watch or boat trip up the coast a bit, maybe a winery stop.

My delema is how is the drive to San Diego and then Back and then to LAX. We are booked to return home on a redeye Saturday evening boarding at nine. Also is it possible, as we are booked for Disney tranportation both from the airport and back, to still keep that airport shuttle back to the airport at the end even though we are not staying anymore at Disney. We could Saturday stop in at DL for a few last hours before we need to head to airport buy either extending to a 5 day ticket or using the one park hopper day when we go to the Halloween party and only go in at night that day.

I live in San Diego and am an AP. Takes me about an hour and 45 minutes to get to DL with no traffic. During rush hour could be 3-4. From DL to LAX can be an hourish or longer if traffic.

We are coming from Wisconsin, going to San Diego for 4 days and then taking the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner up to Anaheim and going to use Uber/Lyft when needed. Seemed like a reasonable rates(depending on age of DD) and hopefully a nice scenic trip.

we travel to San Diego a lot to visit our kids/grandkids and have driven to DL from there many times. Usually it's either a day trip or a Sat. night stay on property for the convenience.

There is a Disneyland Resort Express airport shuttle bus that picks up at the DL resort and runs every hour. which my son has used many times to fly out of LAX. I think the price last time he took it was 35.00. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/transportation/ It's actually a public bus that runs exclusive to the DL resort area, so you don't need a resort stay to use it. My son paid upon entering the bus but that was well over a yr ago.

I highly recommend visiting San Diego vs hanging around Anaheim if you can manage the time. It is one of the hidden gems of Southern California.

The drive from SD to LA is quick and easy as the PP stated, (approx 90 mins) IF you are willing to leave around 5 am - which we usually do, esp. if checking in, since the parks have early entry at 7.

But considering you are travelling in the opposite direction, I'd recommend first that you drive vs the train and second, that you take your time getting there.
Stop and visit the coastal beaches on your way to San Diego (La Jolla / Del Mar). We love grabbing a bite at Café Americana in Del Mar and walking around the beach/park area there. Parking at the zoo is free and I highly recommend making the short drive to visit the Hotel Del Coronado from San Diego. It's a beautiful place to relax at the beach for the day.

Then, plan to leave to drive back to LA at the crack of dawn on your departure day or after rush hr. the night before.

Last edited:

I agree with poison ivy, rent a car and drive down to San Diego for your remaining days. Much more to see and more relaxing than LA. Drive down after rush hour on the 18th. Since your return date is a Saturday the traffic should not be too bad so have a nice brunch then drive back up, or head up early if you want to stop at DL. Return the car in Anaheim and take the airport shuttle from DL, or just return it to LAX, whichever is cheaper/easier for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter