First time ECV user with questions

Kwaschitz

Mouseketeer
Hi; I'm hoping some of your expertise can help me out.

In the spring, I was hit by a car while riding my bike. While the structure of my leg/foot has healed, I have nerve damage that I'm still in therapy for. I can walk short distances without my crutches. But my PT has said that I'm not to walk the parks on my upcoming trip (2 weeks at the end of Sept.).

I need a little help knowing how to go about the ECV rental that she's told me I need.

1 - 3 of us staying at a VGF studio, what are the chances nobody trips over the scooter in the night?
2 - Are there any ECVs that are going to be more comfortable than others? I'm 5'0 and since my accident have used them in stores several times but have learned that they are not designed for my size! I can't put my back against the back rest while having my feet on the floor and my hands on the handlebars. I know those are designed for the maximum number of users to be able to comfortably use them (Home Depot had the worst!) and I am so not the norm in adult sizes (cars don't fit me easily either).
3 - Because of a chronic back injury that causes pain, we've had to rent wheelchairs while in the parks several times but never an ECV. I like the idea of not taking it on the bus/keeping in my room for space sake (also because week 2 is off property and I will be the only adult trying to get it in/out of the rental van during the days), but: height issue and availability issues with the Disney owned ECVs at the parks?

Thank you so much!!

1 - Excellent. Park it next to a wall away from the bathroom.
2 - Check with the various rental companies (see post # 2 in the disABILITIES thread pinned near the top of the list of threads) to see who has adjustable seat heights.
3 - Yes. The WDW ECVs are a single model with single seat heights. Availability varies. The earlier you arrive, the more likely that ECVs will be available.

Hi; I'm hoping some of your expertise can help me out.

In the spring, I was hit by a car while riding my bike. While the structure of my leg/foot has healed, I have nerve damage that I'm still in therapy for. I can walk short distances without my crutches. But my PT has said that I'm not to walk the parks on my upcoming trip (2 weeks at the end of Sept.).

I need a little help knowing how to go about the ECV rental that she's told me I need.

1 - 3 of us staying at a VGF studio, what are the chances nobody trips over the scooter in the night?
2 - Are there any ECVs that are going to be more comfortable than others? I'm 5'0 and since my accident have used them in stores several times but have learned that they are not designed for my size! I can't put my back against the back rest while having my feet on the floor and my hands on the handlebars. I know those are designed for the maximum number of users to be able to comfortably use them (Home Depot had the worst!) and I am so not the norm in adult sizes (cars don't fit me easily either).
3 - Because of a chronic back injury that causes pain, we've had to rent wheelchairs while in the parks several times but never an ECV. I like the idea of not taking it on the bus/keeping in my room for space sake (also because week 2 is off property and I will be the only adult trying to get it in/out of the rental van during the days), but: height issue and availability issues with the Disney owned ECVs at the parks?

Thank you so much!!

Just FYI - if you are remaining in the Orlando area (for example, moving over to Uni, or out to an I-Drive hotel) some rental companies will pick up the scooter and move it for you to the new hotel. This does not mitigate the need to disassemble/reassemble the scooter every time you go someplace, but it could help you get it moved across town.

VGF Studios should be no problem to park the ECV out of the way; you can always bring a small night light from home to help see in the dark better if you are very concerned. And last but not least, Hollywood Studios has recently moved the bus stop temporarily, which has increased the walk from the both the bus stops and the parking lot. Just a gentle reminder: since you have been to WDW before, you probably have a good idea of how much walking there is, just to get from the bus stops to the entrances of the Parks; I think you might want to consider either renting off site (so that you have it for all of those long treks from the buses to/through the Parks) or buying/renting a wheelchair if there is someone in your party who can push you.

Don't jeopardize your healing process - I was in an accident right after the New Year, and I can sure sympathize; we are *finally* going in early September to celebrate my "graduation" from PT! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter